Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian Strong Ale > Extract - Belgian Trippel (2006 World Beer Cup Gold Medal: Dragonmead Final Absolution clone)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2013, 01:37 AM   #451
SoupNazi
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesemoney View Post
I was going to add an extra 2 lbs of LME to this--I have 12 lbs on hand but I'm worried about a high final gravity. I wanted to up the ABV% to around 9.5-10% or so. 2lbs LME ups the ABV about 1% and the FG to from about (1.016 original recipe) to about 1.018 per my calcs. Anyone think it's a better idea to just add more sugar/candi and save the 2 extra lbs of LME for my next brew?
I vote sugar for a lower fg.

"You put the balm on? Who told you to put the balm on? Did i tell you to put the balm on?"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2013, 11:13 PM   #452
cheesemoney
Recipes 

Thanks! I think I'm going to go through with it this weekend and I will just add some extra sugar.

Final question regarding the DME. I was going to make a 4L starter for a 6 gallon batch, which will take 14oz of DME. Anything wrong with just pitching almost the whole 1lb of amber DME that this extract recipe calls for from my 4L starter into the carboy and calling it a day? I can just use 14 oz in the starter and add 2oz to the boil, adjusting hops as necessary (doing a 4G boil and topping off with H2O anyway).

Old 04-15-2013, 03:47 AM   #453
lumpy5oh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I brewed up the extract version this weekend. Fermenter is bubbling away and giving off a beautiful banana smell. Can't wait for it to be ready.

Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Old 04-17-2013, 03:45 AM   #454
JRapp
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Heya! I got all the ingredients, sort of I need to go back and swap some misplaced hops that I drove home with, but I digress.

Instead of the 1.5 lb of candy sugar, i remembered that I had 1lb of D-90 candy syrup in my basement I've been wanting to get rid of. I went ahead and got light DME instead of amber to compensate for the color, but it will still come out with a copper to red to brown color according to hopville.

Will the D-90 candi syrup change anything other than color?

Should I go ahead and invert a 1/2lb of sugar to add also? or will the 1lb be enough?

Thanks!

Old 04-20-2013, 01:39 AM   #455
Springpatch
Recipes 

Likes Given: 13

Question from a noob. If I want to get 6 gallons out of this, should I boil 7ish gallons of water (counting on evaporation)? I ask because I would like to not have to top it off with water.

Old 04-23-2013, 04:33 AM   #456
loubie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I started with 6.5 gallons of water and ended up with a little less than 5.5 gallons of product. This gave me about 5 gallons of beer to bottle. I leave the stuff in the bottom of the fermenter out of the final bottling product.

Old 04-24-2013, 02:42 PM   #457
Springpatch
Recipes 

Likes Given: 13

great that is what I wanted to know. Time to break in my new 10 gallon pot and sp10 burner.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:04 PM   #458
JRapp
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Instead of the WLP500 I bought 1 smack pack of the wyeast 3787 trappist high gavity. I have an O.K. starter in the fridge now settling out the yeast for tonight.

Anyway, what differences will I see between the 2 yeast strains?
Home brew guy just shrugged and said its pretty much the same so I went with it, now Im all like crap, should just followed the recipe....

Old 04-24-2013, 09:13 PM   #459
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springpatch View Post
great that is what I wanted to know. Time to break in my new 10 gallon pot and sp10 burner.
It totally depends on your setup. Boil vigor, pot diameter, etc. all play huge roles.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 04-25-2013, 11:34 AM   #460
CSI
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 139

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRapp View Post
Heya! I got all the ingredients, sort of I need to go back and swap some misplaced hops that I drove home with, but I digress.

Instead of the 1.5 lb of candy sugar, i remembered that I had 1lb of D-90 candy syrup in my basement I've been wanting to get rid of. I went ahead and got light DME instead of amber to compensate for the color, but it will still come out with a copper to red to brown color according to hopville.

Will the D-90 candi syrup change anything other than color?

Should I go ahead and invert a 1/2lb of sugar to add also? or will the 1lb be enough?

Thanks!
D-90 is probably best used in a dubbel or quad. The darker syrups create intense flavor contributions. You could use it in a Westmalle Dubbel as only 1lb of D-90 is required. Here's the recipe link:

http://www.candisyrup.com/uploads/6/...ation_004x.pdf

Cheers!

Quick Reply