Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian Strong Ale > Extract - Belgian Trippel (2006 World Beer Cup Gold Medal: Dragonmead Final Absolution clone)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2013, 03:58 PM   #421
loubie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm going to open another one today to see if it has built up any carbonation. I used tasty brew too and got 3.2 oz. for 4.5 gallon which is right for a Belgian Tripel. I think this is about the same ratio you have. I know I did everything right and the brew fermentation was vigorous. The banana smell was excellent! 4 weeks fermentation and now 4 weeks in the bottle. I'll let you know today if things have improved.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 11:03 PM   #422
loubie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

First, sorry I didn't post yesterday. Okay, good news! I got a little "schtttt". When I opened this one and a quarter inch head. 4 weeks in the bottle. Just like others have said, we just need to be patient as it is slow to build carbonation! I'll wait another few weeks and I think it will be better.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:58 PM   #423
SoCalMark
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by loubie View Post
First, sorry I didn't post yesterday. Okay, good news! I got a little "schtttt". When I opened this one and a quarter inch head. 4 weeks in the bottle. Just like others have said, we just need to be patient as it is slow to build carbonation! I'll wait another few weeks and I think it will be better.
OK that makes me feel better. Decided to wait until early next week to give it a few more days in secondary and will then prime based on the Tasty Brew numbers. Thanks for the input!

Old 02-09-2013, 12:42 AM   #424
davekippen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 160 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 417

This =>

patience-young-grasshopper.jpg  
Hit me on Untappd https://untappd.com/user/davekippen
Lurch69 Likes This 
Old 02-16-2013, 03:07 AM   #425
sockmerchant
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Conjured up a brew today (midway through boil right now) that looks very similar to that of the OP Slightly lower ABV though. Should turns out well

30 Pieces of Silver (Belgian Golden Strong Ale)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.072 (°P): 17.5
Final Gravity (FG): 1.011 (°P): 2.8
Alcohol (ABV): 7.94 %
Colour (SRM): 11.4 (EBC): 22.5
Bitterness (IBU): 30.9 (Average)

71.43% Pilsner
14.29% Munich I
7.14% Candi Sugar, Amber
7.14% Cane Sugar

1 g/L Styrian Golding (4.4% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
1 g/L Tettnanger (4.5% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
1.2 g/L Saaz (3.6% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Boil)
1.2 g/L Saaz (3.6% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil)

0.1 g/L Koppafloc @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
Yeast Nutrient

Single step Infusion at 65°C for 90 Minutes. Boil for 90 Minutes

Fermented at 20°C with WLP545 - Belgian Strong Ale

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Bottled:Belgian strong ale with brett, Belgian strong ale, Belg Amber, Belg blonde, Belg dark Strong, Belg not-wit, Belg tripel, berry blonde, belg stout, coffee dubbel, chili APA, APA, Belgian Dubbel, Rye (Brett) Saison

Old 02-21-2013, 07:08 PM   #426
cheesemoney
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAstout View Post
Recipe is wrong. The real recipe uses the saaz hops in all 3 phases, also the amber dme needs to be removed. I got this from Bill Wrobel, he is one of the owners:

"Ditch the amber. Make all three hop additions Saaz. That’ll get you as close as you can. We use all pilsen grain and all saaz hops. That yeast is good or use Belgian Strong. Let me know how it tastes. Watch fermentation temps. Don’t go over 68 degrees."
I'm surprised that I haven't seen anyone respond to this. Has anyone made this with all Saaz hops? I believe that they have the lowest AA rating--would need to add another .5 oz or so?

I'm not sure how many IBU's we are targeting here.

Unrelated, I'm gonna try to make up some inverted syrup to use in place of the Belgian candi syrup (cause $15 on sugar per 6 gallons gets pricey). I'm curious how table sugar, corn syrup, honey, and other sweeteners have turned out for those that have substituted for the more expensive belgian stuff.

I want to boost the alcohol content to around 10% or so, I'm wondering about the following scenarios:
1) Boost Pilsen LME from 10 to 12 lbs and keep 1.5 lbs syrup
2) Use 1 lb table sugar and 1 lb candi syrup (save 7$).
3) Use all table sugar/corn syrup (cheap, should be stronger than candi syrup?)

Thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:40 PM   #427
daniel_conklin
Recipes 

I put in 2.5# of table sugar and got my ABV to 9.6%. Havent tried it yet as it is still carbing but the sample tasted great!

Old 02-21-2013, 07:59 PM   #428
JBounce
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesemoney View Post
I want to boost the alcohol content to around 10% or so, I'm wondering about the following scenarios:
1) Boost Pilsen LME from 10 to 12 lbs and keep 1.5 lbs syrup
2) Use 1 lb table sugar and 1 lb candi syrup (save 7$).
3) Use all table sugar/corn syrup (cheap, should be stronger than candi syrup?)

Thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.
I'm with you on upping the abv. I made mine with the all grain and added close to two pounds of candi sugar. Its almost ready to be kegged. Why not just turn your table sugar into candi? It costs the price of a half a lemon, some water, and 30 min of your time.

As far as the hop discrepancy, I can't say much except that I used the hops that were originally described.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:55 PM   #429
cheesemoney
Recipes 

^ I presume you are talking about the candi syrup? If so, I'm gonna take a stab at it, seems like people get mixed results and though it doesn't sound that hard, it's new to me. There are so many ways that people make the invert syrup--lime, pickling stuff, yeast nutrient, lemon extract, lemon, etc, and so many people seem to get different results.

I understand that darker inverts are used for coloration as well as flavoring. I'm curious if the lighter syrups offer significant flavor benefits.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:32 PM   #430
JBounce
Recipes 

I have only been brewing for about a year and have never had to use candi sugar until this recipe. When I went to the LBHS and saw the price of it I just about crapped my pants. This is the site I used to learn how to make it:

http://sciencebrewer.com/2010/04/10/homemade-belgian-candi-sugar/

It was extremely easy and straight forward for me. This made the solid kind not the syrup (although a quick google search will give you recipes for the syrup), but I just boiled it in a little water to sanitize and dissolve it and added once the airlock was bubbling away.

As far as how close it is to the real deal I can't say. If anything, it makes me feel better about myself because I didn't add just table sugar.

As far as darkness and all of that, I probably know just about as much as you do. I went with a nice amber caramel color and called it good. I assume the light colors don't add much flavor and the darker you go the more caramel/burnt flavors you get (someone else should confirm that though).

Quick Reply