Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian Strong Ale > Extract - Belgian Trippel (2006 World Beer Cup Gold Medal: Dragonmead Final Absolution clone)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2013, 08:18 PM   #411
HeuristicsInc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I just finished brewing this (the extract version). It's cooling now. I made one error, and that was getting too excited and adding the candi sugar at the beginning with the other malts... so I left one of the LMEs out until the end. I found another thread that said adding candi early wasn't too bad.
This is the first time in quite a while that I made an extract batch without any steeping grains!
-bill

Primary - BCS Saison

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 04:22 AM   #412
HeuristicsInc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Woo, so that is the most vigorous fermentation I've had so far. Even though I rigged it with my blowoff tube it cracked the top open twice today. I guess I need a bigger blowoff tube. Think it's slowed down at this point though.
-bill

Primary - BCS Saison

Old 01-26-2013, 05:41 AM   #413
mistercameron
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

I brewed this back in August in honor of our first child. We waited to find out the sex until birth, so I dubbed the beer "The Big Surprise." Our son was born about two weeks ago, so it was finally time to pop the cork.

This was probably one if my best brew day experienced where everything went right, and the final product proves it... This taste like a commercial quality beer! This is seriously awesome. It's going down in my brew again list and I will defiantly keep a couple bottles in cold storage.

The only disappointment is that there is no lasting head. I did some research here in HBT and it seems its more to do with nature of the malt bill and a single step mash. (Yes I had clean glasses that I hand washed in cold water without soap). But for disappointments, that one is so minor I could hardly care less. Everything else is so good...

image-787110033.jpg

Old 02-04-2013, 04:37 PM   #414
loubie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well, I popped open my first bottle of this terrific brew and absolutely flat. No carbonation! 3.5 weeks in the bottle after 30 days or so fermentation. I used the recommended calculator to determine the amount of priming sugar ( I think it was 3.2 ounces for a 4.5 gallon). I was hoping someone might share some encouraging words that will tell me it was too early to test. Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong? Man, I was really looking forward to this one.

Old 02-04-2013, 05:53 PM   #415
brubrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by loubie
Well, I popped open my first bottle of this terrific brew and absolutely flat. No carbonation! 3.5 weeks in the bottle after 30 days or so fermentation. I used the recommended calculator to determine the amount of priming sugar ( I think it was 3.2 ounces for a 4.5 gallon). I was hoping someone might share some encouraging words that will tell me it was too early to test. Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong? Man, I was really looking forward to this one.
I had the same issue with mine. After a couple months of waiting with no carbonation I decided to go against my better judgment and force carb with a keg. It did the trick and the beer tastes great even though it was introduced to oxygen for the pour from the bottle to the keg.

Primary: On the Fly IPA
Secondary: Honey Brown Ale
Bottled:Chocolate Cherry Stout
Kegged:Drunkle Dunkle, Belgian Triple, Pumpkin Spice, Farmhouse IPA

Old 02-04-2013, 09:33 PM   #416
davekippen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 157 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 416

Quote:
Originally Posted by loubie View Post
Man that sux! Nothing at all? Strange. Did you let them chill in the fridge for a while before trying one? I would still think that even warm at 3.5 weeks you should have a bubble or two.

I do know that the higher the abv, the longer it could take to carb. I brewed a belgian strong (9.5% I think) and at 3 months there was no carbonation at all. Its a year old now and just has a small head when poured vigorously.
Hit me on Untappd https://untappd.com/user/davekippen

Old 02-04-2013, 10:34 PM   #417
loubie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

WOW! That's a long time to wait! I'm going to wait another 3 weeks or so and try again. I hope it starts to show some signs of life. I've got it stored at 70 degrees right now. I didn't calculate the alcohol yet but I think it was 1.087 then the final reading was 1.013.

Old 02-05-2013, 01:05 PM   #418
RVAstout
Recipes 

That's very odd mine came out to 11% and was carbonated after 4 weeks.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:07 AM   #419
SoupNazi
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I have a case of bombers that are still carbonating almost a year after they were brewed.

Not sure why so many people are having this problem.

"You put the balm on? Who told you to put the balm on? Did i tell you to put the balm on?"

Old 02-06-2013, 01:54 PM   #420
SoCalMark
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupNazi View Post
I have a case of bombers that are still carbonating almost a year after they were brewed.

Not sure why so many people are having this problem.
Hmmmm…this puts me in a quandary as I was supposed to bottle this tonight. Tasty Brew is saying 3.7 oz of sugar to prime 5.5 gallons. I’m wondering if I should up this slightly based on the long carbonation input.

Quick Reply