Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian Strong Ale > Extract - Belgian Trippel (2006 World Beer Cup Gold Medal: Dragonmead Final Absolution clone)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2013, 02:49 PM   #401
Florenz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Hey guys. I'm planning on brewing this today but I'm a little worried about my fermentation temp. I don't have any way to control the temp in my basement. This time of the year my basement is around 60 degrees. Is that too low? Based on the most recent post from RVAstout I guess I'm ok. Thoughts? Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 12:06 AM   #402
davekippen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 160 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 417

Here is the first pour. Still very green but damn its tasty. Followed the OP's recipe exact. Damn fine. Already planning to bre a larger batch

imag1095.jpg  
Hit me on Untappd https://untappd.com/user/davekippen
CSI Likes This 
Old 01-07-2013, 02:15 AM   #403
SoCalMark
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Have this one in primary now. Went slightly higher on the grain bill and made a big ass starter so crossing my fingers. SG was 1.080 and hydrometer sample tasted great!

Old 01-07-2013, 06:22 PM   #404
loubie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen
Here is the first pour. Still very green but damn its tasty. Followed the OP's recipe exact. Damn fine. Already planning to bre a larger batch
Your brew looks great! I brewed mine last month and so far it has fermented for 32 days. I got the same exact hydro readings as you did- 1.082 and 1.012. I'm getting ready to bottle it today. How much priming sugar did you use for your bottling? I have 5 ounces for my 5 gallon (slightly less) brew. It looks like your brew has been in the bottles for almost 30 days and the pour looks nice.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:30 PM   #405
Kidagora
Mr.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default Going To Be My Second Batch! IBU, Boil Vol., Extract Questions..

I'm very eager to start this as my official second batch. Total noob here. I'm still reading through several beginner books (The Joy of Brewing). Had a few questions about IBU calculations, boil volumes, and extract addition.

I found a program that I've been using to keep track of recipes (Beer Alchemy) and I attempted to enter all ingredients and times as mentioned but the calculated IBU comes off as short. I entered a boil volume of 2.5gal as I didn't want to take as much time to get to a boil (BB blonde ale kit recommended vol.) and I entered the hop recommendations on here (GHM 2, Styrian 1, Saaz 1) and even lower recommendations (1.8/0.8/0.4) and the calculations for IBU came out no higher than 15 and as low as 11. Do I need to adjust for the lower boil volume? Do I have to add more volume to get 5 gallons? The boil volume seemed to affect it the most which I understand is related to viscosity and dissolution of alpha acids? Can I just add more hops evenly till it calculates an IBU of 20-25? Is the app reliable or did I mis-enter something somewhere?

And as far as extract additions, can they all be mixed in the boil initially? Do they need to be added every 10-20 minutes? Is time a factor when adding the extracts?

Any help is greatly appreciated. If all goes well with the first few brews I can see this turning into an obsession

Old 01-07-2013, 06:43 PM   #406
loubie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloBeer1
I found these two links on another post. Since I have started using them I have had great results with carbonation. I usually shoot for the mid range of the levels they suggest.

http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/rec...rbonation.html

http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html
Boy was I way off on my first brew. I used 4.5 ozs of priming sugar for my first brew of Bavarian Hefeweizen. It did't have much fermentation. Now I see why. According to these calculators I should have used 8.3 ozs instead. Then I was going to use 5 ozs of priming sugar for this recipe, but the calculator says to use a maximum of 4.2 ozs. Thanks for the calculator. I could have screwed this one up too!

Old 01-07-2013, 07:49 PM   #407
davekippen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 160 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 417

Loubie, I use tastybrew for calculating my priming sugar. I basically use exactly what it says so I can carb to style. (I did not make a note of the actual amount)

Hit me on Untappd https://untappd.com/user/davekippen

Old 01-07-2013, 10:05 PM   #408
mike_in_ak
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 52 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidagora
I'm very eager to start this as my official second batch. Total noob here. I'm still reading through several beginner books (The Joy of Brewing). Had a few questions about IBU calculations, boil volumes, and extract addition.

I found a program that I've been using to keep track of recipes (Beer Alchemy) and I attempted to enter all ingredients and times as mentioned but the calculated IBU comes off as short. I entered a boil volume of 2.5gal as I didn't want to take as much time to get to a boil (BB blonde ale kit recommended vol.) and I entered the hop recommendations on here (GHM 2, Styrian 1, Saaz 1) and even lower recommendations (1.8/0.8/0.4) and the calculations for IBU came out no higher than 15 and as low as 11. Do I need to adjust for the lower boil volume? Do I have to add more volume to get 5 gallons? The boil volume seemed to affect it the most which I understand is related to viscosity and dissolution of alpha acids? Can I just add more hops evenly till it calculates an IBU of 20-25? Is the app reliable or did I mis-enter something somewhere?

And as far as extract additions, can they all be mixed in the boil initially? Do they need to be added every 10-20 minutes? Is time a factor when adding the extracts?

Any help is greatly appreciated. If all goes well with the first few brews I can see this turning into an obsession
Most people add extract at the beginning after you hit initial boil. Turn off heat, then add extract so it doesn't burn to bottom, then turn heat back on.

But extract can be added later, and a lot of people do that at well. Some people add some up front and some later.

The longer the extract is in the boil, the darker the finished product will be. So for people specifically shooting for a lighter color beer, they will probably add it later.

There's probably some disagreement about how much this matters.

Old 01-08-2013, 01:15 AM   #409
loubie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen
Loubie, I use tastybrew for calculating my priming sugar. I basically use exactly what it says so I can carb to style. (I did not make a note of the actual amount)
OK, thanks. I'll use the tastybrew calculator.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:09 AM   #410
Kidagora
Mr.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Thanks Mike.

By playing around with the boil volumes and times I've found that using the Pilsner Light Malt Extract at the beginning of the boil and adding the DME and Candi Sugar towards the end will give the hops enough to impart their AAU in the middle allowing me to use the initial hop volumes stated. Hopefully, I'm understanding that right?

Quick Reply