Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian Strong Ale > Extract - Belgian Trippel (2006 World Beer Cup Gold Medal: Dragonmead Final Absolution clone)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2012, 10:47 AM   #391
charliho
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Thanks Mike and Scook for the helpful advices

I think I willl decrease the mash volumes from the 2.5 Qts water/Lbs grain (as it is in the recipe) to 1.13. Doing it like that I think I will have total mash volume of 8.47 gal according to ProMash software so I hope I will end somewhere between 6 - 5 gal after boiling ( 14.5 lb of grain and boiling 70 minutes). Do you think that this change is ok or I should keep volumes as in the recipe? Anybody has tried the AG version of this?

Thanks in advance

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 01:50 PM   #392
BroStefan
Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 9 Posts

I think your volumes look about right. Promash is pretty good. But in brewing there many ways it can be done. Brewing is a pretty robust thing. I think the most important thing is to develop a standard repeatable process that works for you.

The one thing you might want to consider is doing a 90 minutes boil. Pilsner malt needs the time to blow off the precursor chemicals for DMS. You'd need to allow for the extra boil times in your water requirements, of course.

Primary -
Raspberry Chocolate Porter
Semisweet Mead

Conditioning - Tripel

Tap 1 - Apple Pie Cyser
Tap 2 - Mosiac Pale Malt SMaSH
Tap 3 - Munich Helles
Tap 4 - Long Winters Nap Barley Wine - 2014
Bottles - Jolly Pumpkin Bam Biere clone, Long Winters Nap Barley Wine - 2012 & 2013, Flanders Red, & some odds and ends

In the bullpen:
House Pale Ale
Imperial English Porter

Old 12-10-2012, 02:49 AM   #393
davekippen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 160 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 417

Just checked to see how well mine was coming along. Its been fermenting 21 days today in the "normal" part of the house which is around 68 degrees. Hydro said 1.012 - Perfect! I was worried about stuck fermentation but it was smooth as butter.

My OG was about 10 points lower than expected (1.082) so it comes in around 9.4 abv. The hydro sample was amazing. Threw it in the fridge to cold crash, will bottle in a couple of days. Really excited for this one!

Hit me on Untappd https://untappd.com/user/davekippen

Old 12-10-2012, 07:09 AM   #394
SoupNazi
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by scook13339 View Post

Candi Sugar is just sucrose aka table sugar, a simple sugar. For high gravity beers I put simple sugars in after fermentation has begun to slow down a bit. The idea is to let the yeast work on the more complex malt sugars, than feed 'em the easy to digest ones. This will help get a full attenuation. And, yes, this means they don't get boiled.
Candi sugar WAS table sugar, not IS.

Table sugar is sucrose, which is a more complex carbohydrate when compared to dextrose, which is in all purposes Candi Sugar.

The theory is that the low pH of the wort in addition to the high heat of the boil breaks the chemical bond of sucrose (table sugar) into the more simple dextrose (candi sugar).

So adding table sugar to the boil is ok. But using table sugar post boil could leave the more complex sucrose, which yeast will have to expend more energy to convert.

Candi sugar is easy to make! And fun! And dangerous!

Cheers!

"You put the balm on? Who told you to put the balm on? Did i tell you to put the balm on?"

Old 12-10-2012, 03:40 PM   #395
BroStefan
Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupNazi View Post
Candi sugar WAS table sugar, not IS.

Table sugar is sucrose, which is a more complex carbohydrate when compared to dextrose, which is in all purposes Candi Sugar.

The theory is that the low pH of the wort in addition to the high heat of the boil breaks the chemical bond of sucrose (table sugar) into the more simple dextrose (candi sugar).

So adding table sugar to the boil is ok. But using table sugar post boil could leave the more complex sucrose, which yeast will have to expend more energy to convert.

Candi sugar is easy to make! And fun! And dangerous!

Cheers!
I made the assumption that the OP was talking about clear Candi Sugar. If you are talking about CS of any color of course it will bring flavor and color to the party, and it is easy to make.

Sucrose is not a simple as dextrose, but much simpler than maltose. Boiling simple sugars won't hurt at all, and is commonly done. I was just describing my process. I was having trouble getting my high gravity beers to fully attenuate until I got this tip. Since then my beers have dried out nicely. Not a single BPCP score sheet has come back with comments on off flavor.

(I am pretty sure I first heard "add the simple sugars to an actively fermenting beer" from John Palmer - either in his book or on Brew Strong. Not at home now so I can't check for sure.)

Also see...

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/clea...belgian-86287/

Happy brewing!

Steve

Primary -
Raspberry Chocolate Porter
Semisweet Mead

Conditioning - Tripel

Tap 1 - Apple Pie Cyser
Tap 2 - Mosiac Pale Malt SMaSH
Tap 3 - Munich Helles
Tap 4 - Long Winters Nap Barley Wine - 2014
Bottles - Jolly Pumpkin Bam Biere clone, Long Winters Nap Barley Wine - 2012 & 2013, Flanders Red, & some odds and ends

In the bullpen:
House Pale Ale
Imperial English Porter

Old 12-11-2012, 06:34 PM   #396
loubie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just wrapped up my first brew of this beer. Three days fermenting so far. I thought my Simple Hefeweizen had the smell of banana. It is nothing in comparison to this beer! Man does it smell awesome! Sweet banana fills the room! I can't wait to drink this one! I don't know if I can hold out for 2-3 months waiting though....

Old 12-15-2012, 12:54 AM   #397
goo-gone
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 51

For anyone that bottled this- how long did it take to carb?

Old 12-27-2012, 11:41 PM   #398
Spulls
Recipes 

Thanks Again I am going to brew this on Sunday.

Old 12-30-2012, 07:30 PM   #399
spclarke77
Recipes 

Hey guys new to forum..... Bought all ingredients to make this except my store only had one vial of white labs Trappist yeast. So I bought 2 vials of Belgian ale yeast wlp500 instead. Couple questions. anyone brew with this strain because I've used it for Belgian wit.... Not a heavy triple. Will the abv be too high for this strain? was thinking of returning it and just using one vial of Trappist but is one enough? Recipe calls for 2.... Thanks for the help... My wife said "trial and error" but she doesn't know everything cost me 80 bucks! Thanks again

Old 12-31-2012, 01:21 PM   #400
RVAstout
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Recipe is wrong. The real recipe uses the saaz hops in all 3 phases, also the amber dme needs to be removed. I got this from Bill Wrobel, he is one of the owners:

"Ditch the amber. Make all three hop additions Saaz. That’ll get you as close as you can. We use all pilsen grain and all saaz hops. That yeast is good or use Belgian Strong. Let me know how it tastes. Watch fermentation temps. Don’t go over 68 degrees."

Quick Reply