Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian Strong Ale > Extract - Belgian Trippel (2006 World Beer Cup Gold Medal: Dragonmead Final Absolution clone)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2012, 11:33 AM   #351
funkyskier
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Thanks for this recipe!

Many thanks to Hurricane for posting this recipe! The passion over the style is borderline fanatical! The posts and responses to modifications and changes to the original recipe are crazy entertaining. I'm happy enough with just having the opportunity to brew it! Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2012, 05:42 PM   #352
BuffaloBeer1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well, I brewed one week ago. OG was 1.096 and the 1 week gravity was 1.008. I pitched it onto a yeast cake from another beer using the WYeast 1214. With the yeast cake and a string of days in the upper 80's to 90's, the yeast definitely did it's job. The flavor is fantastic, although there is a slight warming effect from the 11.7% abv. I was worried the banana would be too strong, but it's just right. I'm going to let it sit in the primary for another week, then move to secondary for at least 2 weeks. Thanks for posting this recipe.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:06 PM   #353
Squino
Recipes 

Hi guys - Thanks to everyone in this thread for posting results. Been following this one for months and finally picked up the supplies today.

[I'm looking to do the Extract Version]
Question: I'm interested in pushing the ABV a little higher than the Original Post; Some of you have mentioned getting upwards of 11%, but there is no mention of what was adjusted in the original Extract materials to reach this. (I've read every post, heh) I picked up an extra 3.3 lb LME and 1 lb extra DME. (no additional hops) I'm trying to consider specifically how much to add without ruining the style/hop balance too much. (I know I can calc Extract to ABV, but this is more of an opinion question..)

TL;DR [Extract] How would you up the ABV without wrecking das brew? Those of you that got above 11%, how did you, specifically?

EDIT:
Original Recipe:
Extract:
3 x 3.3lbs Pilsner Light malt extract LME
1 x 1lbs Amber DME
1 x 1.5lbs Belgian Candy
12.4 total pounds of fermentables

Hops: (IBU came out at 23 but you can range from 20 to 25)
2 oz. German Hallertau 3.8%AA 60min
1 oz. Styrian Goldings 3.4% AA 30min
1 oz. Saaz 2.8% AA 3min

I have an extra can of LME, and an extra pound of DME past what the recipe calls for. Some of the other people in thread said stuff like "I added more and hit 10.5% ABV, came out great!" with no specifics or measurements... Can anyone weigh in?

Old 07-19-2012, 09:00 AM   #354
Maddoghoek
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I followed the recipe as is and got 10.7%. I did a full boil on the extract version. I'd be willing to bet folks that did AG got better efficiency and/or conversion and ended up with more fermentables.

It may also be a question of the calculation people used to come up with it. I prefer to use the one at brewersfriend.com. It has an alternate calculation method that is supposedly more accurate for higher gravity beers.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:53 PM   #355
Squino
Recipes 

@Maddoghoek: Thanks for the response. Did you finish with 5 gallons, or the 6 per the original recipe?

Old 07-20-2012, 10:46 AM   #356
Maddoghoek
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I ended up with a little less then 6. I put 5 gal in the bucket and had a decent pile of trub left over. OG was 1.092, FG was 1.017. Mid to high 60's for ferment temps.

On a side note, my 7.5 gallon kettle was a bit too small for 5.5 gallons of water and 12 lbs of fermentables.... I was less then an inch from the top after everything was added.

Old 08-08-2012, 03:45 PM   #357
PartTimeJedi
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuRRiC4Ne View Post
Yes I do...

It's 12.8lbs Pilsner
1.6lbs Munich Malt (2row)
1.6lbsCandy sugar

1.8oz hallertauer mittelfruh
.4oz styrian goldings
.8 chzech saaz

same yeast
I'm sure this is in the thread somewhere but is this AG version a 5 or 6 gallon batch?

Old 08-09-2012, 12:13 PM   #358
BuffaloBeer1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This is for a 5 gallons. I bottling mine today. The only down side is having to wait another couple of weeks for carbonation.

Old 08-18-2012, 03:24 PM   #359
Zoltanar
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I am currently boilling a slightly adjusted AG version of the Dragonmead.
It is for a 23 liters (6 gallons) batch and goes like this :
6kg Pilsner 2 rows
750g Munich Malt
500g Carafoam
35g Hallertau (5.2%)
28g Styrian Goldings (4.3%)
28g Saaz (3.2%)
300g table sugar I caramelized (see bellow)
1 White Labs WLP500 for which I did a starter.

(I always make my batch a bit bigger than what I need to because of what I loose in the fermenter)

The table sugar I caramelized by putting in a pan, adding a bit of water just to help get initial temperature, and about 1table spoon of lemon juice. You don't need to use much water - just enough to disolve the sugar. The more you add, the longer it will take because the water needs to evaporate completely before the sugar starts to caramelize. Once I had the desired color, I just added some water back to make a sirup which is easier to get out of the pan when adding to the wort.

It is boilling at the moment, and I got a great 81% mash effeciency from what BeerSimth tells me. Alway according to BeerSmith, the final result should be about this :
OG 1,076
IBU 25,3
SRM 5,8
ABV 8,6

I can't wait to try this one - I decided I will transfer to a secondary after 2 weeks, and then let it age in there for at least 4 weeks before bottling. I usualy keg my beer, but I will bottle this one to keep longer...maybe 3-4 months? ...if I can wait that long

Anyway, so far, so good. Looks like a perfect brewing day here in Montreal, with a sunny day and a nice 65deg. F. Not too hot, not too cold.

Old 08-19-2012, 09:31 PM   #360
SoupNazi
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Tasted a 5 month old bottle yesterday. Only now is it getting to be mellowed and carbed enough to where I like. Patience really pays off on this one. Might attempt an AG version of this now that I'm equipped.

"You put the balm on? Who told you to put the balm on? Did i tell you to put the balm on?"

Quick Reply