Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian Strong Ale > Extract - Belgian Trippel (2006 World Beer Cup Gold Medal: Dragonmead Final Absolution clone)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2012, 08:32 PM   #321
insp79
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreausenator View Post
All grain version in secondary now. Should be yummy
AG is in the secondary as well. Cannot wait. It has been fermenting for 28 days (14 in primary). I plan on bottling in a week, after a cold crash.
Bottle age for another 30 days.

This should be good.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2012, 02:00 PM   #322
shanlmt
Recipes 

envader, I used a 6.5 gallon bucket for my primary and it worked fine. I used a blow off tube inserted in sterilizing fluid. I will be moving mine into a secondary (glass carboy) this weekend, after 2 weeks in the primary.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:06 PM   #323
SoupNazi
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I brewed this 3 weeks ago today. Took a gravity and read 1.020, same as when I checked it a couple of days ago. I gently swirled the bucket and put into my warmest closet at around 74*F. Hoping to kick down a couple more points in the next week or two, then bottle.

I did have me another taste, and its like bananas drenched in 151.

"You put the balm on? Who told you to put the balm on? Did i tell you to put the balm on?"

Old 03-13-2012, 10:02 PM   #324
SoupNazi
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I ended up bottling after 1 month in the primary with a fg of 1.019. I would have liked to see it come down more, but my og was 1.100. Can't wait top see how this is in a month.

"You put the balm on? Who told you to put the balm on? Did i tell you to put the balm on?"

Old 03-17-2012, 12:22 AM   #325
teachtim
Recipes 

questions answered.

Last edited by teachtim; 03-21-2012 at 08:00 PM. Reason: questions answered

Old 03-21-2012, 04:10 PM   #326
DrDRum
Recipes 

I took a stab at this one last night. I'm a bit of a novice still, but it did seem awfully easy. I'm excited about this brew, I had it at a grand rapids brew festival this winter and it was my favorite there. Plus it's my first high gravity, etc.

Based on the great info in this thread, here's what I made:

[u]Starter[\u]
WLP500 Trappist ale yeast. This was my first time doing a starter. Seemed easy enough to make. Used 4cups water & 2 cups light dme. It went into a couple quart mason jars with alum foil. I then gave 'em a good swirl / shake a half dozen times each day for 2 days, then into the fridge. Some research on here suggests using your starter with a day-ish for maximu
Viability...so I hope I didn't mess that up. I gave it a few hours on the counter before pitching to warm up, decanted half the beer off before pitching.

Recipe was slightly altered based on what was available.

10lbs Light malt extract LME (lhbs said it's the same as pilsner lme)
1lbs Amber DME
1lbs Light Belgian Candy
1/2 lb of pilsner light dme
1/2 lb of Cara pils steeped @160 for mouthfeel (I'm new to this term, but went with it)
12.5 lbs fermentables.

Hops: (IBU at 21 according to beer calculus)
1 oz. German Hallertau 3.8%AA 60min (subbed for mittlefruh)
0.25 oz. Cascade 12%AA 60 min (had this leftover from prev brew and accidentally didn't buy two packages of hallertau)
1/2 oz. Styrian Goldings 3.4% AA 30min
0.8 oz. Saaz 2.8% AA 3min

Also did a bit of late add with some of the lme, for Hopp utilization.

Steeped cara pils for 25min @ 160. In 3.5 gallons.
Brought to boil.
Remove Fromm boil.
Add 5lbs lme, candi, 1/2 lb Pilsen dme.
Reboil.
60 min - Add hallertau & cascade
Continue boil (never really threatened to boilover)
25 min - amber dme & styrian goldings
15 min - add 5lbs lme (and immersion chiller to sterilize)
5 min - add saaz.

Cooled with immersion chiller while on the stove.
Swirled to cone trub
Racked out wort, almost no trub
Added 2 gallons filtered water.
Poured back / forth to aerate.
Og: 1.093
Pitch that yeast.
Use blowoff.

Fermenting in our extra bathroom @ 72 - 75.

This morning, already bubbling, every 2-3 seconds thru 3/8" blowoff . Nice spicy banana scent.

Well see how it goes :-).

DRum

Old 03-23-2012, 02:53 AM   #327
Praesil
Recipes 

So I brewed this on Veteran's day, bottled on New Year's day, and still l have some left around. It was my first all grain batch and had somewhat of a low efficiency - around 65% ish, but that was my poor understanding at the time of the difference between fly and batch sparging.

(Don't use fly sparging when your tun is set up for batching).

Anyways, the yeast has settled to the bottom and it's now clear, and boy is it something. Really crisp, good spicy notes. The banana has worn off a bit, but when it was fermenting that's all I could smell. I really like this one - thanks for the recipe.

Only thing I would note for followers is to leave it in the secondary longer than you would think, and the longer in the bottle the better.

Old 03-23-2012, 06:06 PM   #328
telder4336
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 4 Posts

I've had this in secondary for about 2 weeks and just added some bourbon soaked oak chips to it that I'm going to leave in for 5-7 days. Should give it the bourbon barrel aged taste as well. Smells fantastic!!

Old 03-23-2012, 10:05 PM   #329
SoupNazi
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by telder4336
I've had this in secondary for about 2 weeks and just added some bourbon soaked oak chips to it that I'm going to leave in for 5-7 days. Should give it the bourbon barrel aged taste as well. Smells fantastic!!
Bourbon soaked oak in a tripel? sounds horrible, but I'd try it

Old 03-24-2012, 05:15 PM   #330
DrDRum
Recipes 

Update from me:

@ 24 hour hours fermentation, my bathroom was at 80F. And freakin' HUMMIN like a drunken sailor :lol: . I mean, I have never seen such violent fermentation. I'd called our in-home babysitter during the day, to ask her what it looked like. She said "It smells like banana bread in here. Wow...there's lots of bubbles coming out of this jug". I had the 3/8" blowoff in a half-full gallon jug of star-san...and it was bubbling krausen through the blowoff, into the star san, and was spouting krausen/starsan bubbles out the top of the jug, onto my bathroom floor.

By that evening it was 84 in the bathroom (yay heat spell in March)...and I got nervous. I jumped online, and explored fermentation as a function of temp. All about esters, fusels, diacetyls & acetaldehydes...more nervous. So I moved it to a cooler room in the basement...~75*F. However, when I woke in the morning (day 2), it was 62*F in the room (SWMBO must have turned the thermostat off). Oops. Still bubbling every 3-5 seconds though.

By that afternoon, it was 65F, with zero bubble activity. Hoping I hadn't thermally freaked my yeast...I let it sit. When in doubt RDWHAHB (never has it been tougher than this).

Day 4: I took a reading today, 1.024. Hmmm, not sure if we're finished yet. So I've moved it up to the warmer bathroom again (now that our heat wave is over), gave it a good shake with the lid back on, and am hoping for lower 70s in there for the next few days.

We'll see in a few days if we rack to secondary yet...I'm thinking at least a week in primary.

DRum

Last edited by DrDRum; 03-24-2012 at 05:19 PM.

Quick Reply