Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian Strong Ale > Extract - Belgian Trippel (2006 World Beer Cup Gold Medal: Dragonmead Final Absolution clone)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2010, 01:39 AM   #21
stedtale
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

subscribed

Future Brews: Something Belgian...dubbel...anyone got a good one?
Primary: Irish Red Ale
Secondary: empty
Bottled: Kölsch, Creamy Ginger Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2010, 02:51 PM   #22
neovox
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Had Dragonmead's Final Absolution again over the weekend. That's one fine brew. I'm going to have the give the clone a try in the near future.

BrewStreams - Homebrewing and Craft Beer News Aggregator

Old 03-20-2010, 02:37 AM   #23
Lodovico
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts

Well, at least no one tried to argue that a 9% beer can't be ready to drink in 30 days. I feel a lot better now.

I'll be bottling this soon and letting it sit for another couple of months. Looking forward to it.

On Draft: Mild
On Draft: IPA
On Draft: Belgian Pale Ale
In Bottle: Brett Porter
In Bottle: Flanders Red
In Bottle: Oud Bruin
Fermentor: Biere De Garde
Fermentor: Belgian Amber Ale

Old 03-26-2010, 03:00 PM   #24
neovox

Recipes 

Here's a little bit more about this beer in case anyone's interested.

Final Absolution Belgian Style Trippel
Dragonmead's signature product! This is the ultimate Belgian style. The very high gravity of this beer is balanced by the smoothness of its finish. Banana and Clove aromas come from the Belgian yeast strain combining with the generous dose of Belgian Candi Sugar. The Saaz hops help to give this beer a balanced bitterness with no noticeable hop aroma. O.G. 1.085, ABV 8.5%

The info above is from their website and HERE is a more detailed AG recipe I found online. It's worth pointing out the the OG in the recipe is different than the OG stated on their site. Then again, the description lists the ABV as 8.5% but their beer menu says it's 10%.

For those not familiar with Dragonmead, they've been around since about 1997. They're located a notably nondescript building in Warren, a suburb Northeast of Detroit. Inside is a comfy pub atmosphere and a surprising number--usually 40 or so--of beers on tap, including their signature brew Final Absolution.

Old 04-04-2010, 07:46 PM   #25
valicious
Recipes 

Brewing this today

Would you guys suggest 3 weeks in primary, 3 weeks in secondary, then a month or more to carb up and age. (I keg)

Old 04-08-2010, 07:59 PM   #26
HuRRiC4Ne
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by valicious View Post
Brewing this today

Would you guys suggest 3 weeks in primary, 3 weeks in secondary, then a month or more to carb up and age. (I keg)
All depends on how it ferments, I would get it out of the primary as soon as you can. 10 to 12 days should be good. Then move to secondary. You really need to get it aged for about 2 months. Further, I did notice it condition out with a smoother taste after sitting in the keg for about 2 weeks.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:02 PM   #27
HuRRiC4Ne
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by neovox View Post
Here's a little bit more about this beer in case anyone's interested.

Final Absolution Belgian Style Trippel
Dragonmead's signature product! This is the ultimate Belgian style. The very high gravity of this beer is balanced by the smoothness of its finish. Banana and Clove aromas come from the Belgian yeast strain combining with the generous dose of Belgian Candi Sugar. The Saaz hops help to give this beer a balanced bitterness with no noticeable hop aroma. O.G. 1.085, ABV 8.5%

The info above is from their website and HERE is a more detailed AG recipe I found online. It's worth pointing out the the OG in the recipe is different than the OG stated on their site. Then again, the description lists the ABV as 8.5% but their beer menu says it's 10%.

For those not familiar with Dragonmead, they've been around since about 1997. They're located a notably nondescript building in Warren, a suburb Northeast of Detroit. Inside is a comfy pub atmosphere and a surprising number--usually 40 or so--of beers on tap, including their signature brew Final Absolution.

Yes, this is correct about Dragonmeads site, I have personally been there many times! I love the environment.

As far as your comment about being 8.5% and 10%, the first recipe was 8.5% then dragonmead redid it to 10%. Where this beer truly shines if you ask me.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:03 PM   #28
HuRRiC4Ne
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodovico View Post
Well, at least no one tried to argue that a 9% beer can't be ready to drink in 30 days. I feel a lot better now.

I'll be bottling this soon and letting it sit for another couple of months. Looking forward to it.
@30 days you can drink it, and it's good still. But no way is it done and refine to how you would want it at day60+.

I kegged mine at day32, and it was drinkable after a week sitting in the keg under pressure in the kegrator. But it most definitely matured into a better beer after day60. I guess you can say i went with a cold conditioning, similar to letting something lager in the fridge...

Last edited by HuRRiC4Ne; 04-08-2010 at 08:07 PM.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:08 PM   #29
HuRRiC4Ne
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodovico View Post
Did any of you that made this follow the All-Grain version?? Just want to make sure that the conversion here was accurate. Excited to try this one. Thanks!

Also, my LHBS only has 1 WLP500, so I could just make like a 2 liter starter and pitch it after a couple days right??
Keep me posted on this All Grain version!!! I have yet to try it out...

Old 04-08-2010, 08:15 PM   #30
neovox

Recipes 

Haven't made the AG version, just happened to come across it online one day. The notes do say, "This is Dragonmead's 90 gallon recipre, scaled down to 12.5 gallons. ". But I have no idea if that's actually true.

Quick Reply