Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian Strong Ale > Extract - Belgian Trippel (2006 World Beer Cup Gold Medal: Dragonmead Final Absolution clone)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2010, 10:26 PM   #121
IowAve
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

How cold are you talking? I'm worried about this carbing in time for Thanksgiving. I have it at 68-70 degrees. I havn't had any carbing problems before, but this is my first high gravity beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2010, 07:01 AM   #122
erics84
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowAve View Post
How cold are you talking? I'm worried about this carbing in time for Thanksgiving. I have it at 68-70 degrees. I havn't had any carbing problems before, but this is my first high gravity beer.
My house was 60 during the carb period... my house is 55 now... I think I need to suck up and turn the heat on or rig something up

Old 11-18-2010, 01:28 PM   #123
Grasslands
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just bottled on Tuesday of this week - came in with a FG of 1.010 with a very prominent banana taste/aroma. Can't wait to see how this sucker plays out.

GrassLands Brewery

Old 11-19-2010, 10:32 PM   #124
FBSmith2000
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Is Pilsner Light and Light LME the same thing?

Extract:
3 x 3.3lbs Pilsner Light malt extract LME
1 x 1lbs Amber DME
1 x 1.5lbs Belgian Candy
12.4 total pounds of fermentables

Hops: (IBU came out at 23 but you can range from 20 to 25)
2 oz. German Hallertau 3.8%AA 60min
1 oz. Styrian Goldings 3.4% AA 30min
1 oz. Saaz 2.8% AA 3min

Yeast:
2 x WLP500 Trappist Ale Yeast

Notes:[/QUOTE]

Old 11-23-2010, 11:07 PM   #125
IowAve
Recipes 

I could wait no longer and cracked open my first bottle today. What a great brew. Medium-light carbonation, minimal head, burnt orange color. Bananas, spice, and strong yeast yeast note in the nose. The taste confirms the yeast and banana aroma a good hint of alcohol warmth in the finish; pretty well balanced over all. I think another month will do this beer wonders (if I can wait that long). Its not as dry as I would have expected.

Definitely looking to brew this again. Probably partial mash. I may shoot for over 9% ABV on the next and look to add a little head retention.

Great recipe, Thanks!

Old 11-24-2010, 06:33 PM   #126
sudbuster
This ain't my first rodeo....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 273 Times on 215 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Looks like this was your inspiration By Chrie Frey. Most of us try to give credit to the authors for the all grain recipes. Congrats for your extract version. The all grain version is excellent, especially with WL1214. Cheers...

Old 11-24-2010, 08:28 PM   #127
Grasslands
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
I could wait no longer and cracked open my first bottle today. What a great brew. Medium-light carbonation, minimal head, burnt orange color. Bananas, spice, and strong yeast yeast note in the nose. The taste confirms the yeast and banana aroma a good hint of alcohol warmth in the finish; pretty well balanced over all. I think another month will do this beer wonders (if I can wait that long). Its not as dry as I would have expected.

Definitely looking to brew this again. Probably partial mash. I may shoot for over 9% ABV on the next and look to add a little head retention.

Great recipe, Thanks!
I'm experiencing the same feelings regarding my green batch right now. I'm itching to just taste what it has the potential to become. After only a week and a half since bottling, I'll let everyone know. I have no qualms yielding to my noobism desires.

GrassLands Brewery

Old 11-24-2010, 09:04 PM   #128
recentlyenlightened
Recipes 

Excuse me for my ignorance, but is there any schedule to adding the extract, or is it just all at once

Old 11-24-2010, 09:20 PM   #129
IowAve
Recipes 

Once you have your water to a boil remove from heat and add all the extract and mix thoroughly to prevent any scorching on the bottom of the pot. Once all the extract dissolves return it to the the heat and bring to a boil for about 5 min before starting your hops schedule. Good Luck!

Old 11-25-2010, 04:42 PM   #130
Grasslands
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Once you have your water to a boil remove from heat and add all the extract and mix thoroughly to prevent any scorching on the bottom of the pot. Once all the extract dissolves return it to the the heat and bring to a boil for about 5 min before starting your hops schedule. Good Luck!
Or....

you can add a 1/3rd of your extract at the point IowAve states and then the remaining extract toward the end of the boil. Supposedly it removes some of the "extract twang" taste All Grain brewers complain about. I've done it that way right up until I went AG.

GrassLands Brewery

Quick Reply