Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian Strong Ale > All-Grain - Belgian Brother Golden Strong

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2012, 01:01 AM   #31
abrew2u
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Can I bulk age this in a Carboy or do I have to bottle age it

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 12:05 AM   #32
fatmoose
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrew2u View Post
Can I bulk age this in a Carboy or do I have to bottle age it
I'm of the opinion aging is always best in bulk, seems to get more character that way. If you do age for an extended period of time and then bottle condition it may be necessary to pitch a bit of new yeast at bottling time.

Old 12-11-2012, 09:35 PM   #33
winvarin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 45 Posts

never saw any replies back to the people talking about using s33 with this. Has anyone used that yeast with this beer yet?

Old 12-11-2012, 11:56 PM   #34
abrew2u
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I used 2 packs of s-33 per 5 gal and it fermentation was crazy haven't taken a hydrometer sample yet I will thus week and let you know

Old 12-12-2012, 02:10 AM   #35
winvarin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Looking forward to hearing your results. I have meter used s33 but have been looking for a dry option for standard Belgians. I was fortunate enough to spend a week in Brussels and Bruge this summer. Most of the breweries and beer bars had as their house ale, a crisp dry blonde ale with just a hint of the "typical" peppery and phenolic Belgian yeast signature. I've read the term "firmly hopped" in several BJCP style guidelines. But I didn't understand how that translated into a balanced beer until I tasted some of those beers fresh from the brewery.

This recipe looks like something I could translate into a beer like that and I would like to use a dry yeast if I can. I am about to step up to 10 gal batches. I am considering making a smaller gravity version of this recipe and using s33 for half and the new danstar belle Saison for half.

Old 12-12-2012, 02:11 AM   #36
winvarin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by winvarin
Looking forward to hearing your results. I have meter used s33 but have been looking for a dry option for standard Belgians. I was fortunate enough to spend a week in Brussels and Bruge this summer. Most of the breweries and beer bars had as their house ale, a crisp dry blonde ale with just a hint of the "typical" peppery and phenolic Belgian yeast signature. I've read the term "firmly hopped" in several BJCP style guidelines. But I didn't understand how that translated into a balanced beer until I tasted some of those beers fresh from the brewery.

This recipe looks like something I could translate into a beer like that and I would like to use a dry yeast if I can. I am about to step up to 10 gal batches. I am considering making a smaller gravity version of this recipe and using s33 for half and the new danstar belle Saison for half.
Stupid autocorrect. Meter =never

Old 12-15-2012, 03:31 AM   #37
bigbadal
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadal View Post
niiiiiiiiiiice, i'm brewing that badboy up soon but i'll use the wyeast PC-trapist blend.
I got scared of the brett and never brewed it up........

Fermenter: white IPA & belgian wit
Secondary: M/T
Keg#1: Red ale
Keg#2: saaz ale
bottled: black IPA
Predicted Brews: cascade+MO SMASH, chinook+MO SMASH

Old 02-11-2013, 11:12 AM   #38
aleksander9
Recipes 

Likes Given: 17

This beer is fermenting away VERY nicely! Wake up today(day 2) to find 9 liters of Krausen and foam!

Added 1 more pound of pilsner for lost efficency with BIAB. Scaled the recipe down to size of my pot. Increased the mash time to 85 minutes 65 c, and 10 minutes 75 c. Boiled 90 minutes. Ended up with 17,5 l of worth(supposed to be 14,9l)
Og was 1.69. Wow! Efficency!

856306_10152520630080268_946193660_o.jpg  

Old 04-01-2014, 07:48 AM   #39
fatfloyd
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

This is my first All grain brew. Mash calculators say to use a total of 10.04 gallons of water. 4.32 gallons for the mash and 5.72 for the sparge. It's my first AG brew, so, I am a little confused. Any toughts?

Quick Reply