Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian Strong Ale > All-Grain - Award Winning Dubbel XL (40th batch)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2013, 07:55 PM   #41
hokieguy95
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodovico View Post
Brand new to Belgian Beers. How do you think WLP500 would be in this beer? It's the only Belgian yeast I have access to at the moment.
The Dubbel I just made is similar to this recipe and WLP500 was recommended. We were just out so we used WLP530 instead.

I'd say your idea would turn out nice.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2013, 03:22 AM   #42
HeuristicsInc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just had my first bottle of this. Very tasty, the chocolate notes are definitely strong. A good sipping beer. Thanks, DubbelDach!
-bill

Bottled - SD-SLIM's Edmund Fitzgerald Porter Clone (w/ Vanilla)

Old 10-27-2013, 02:56 AM   #43
SteelRinger
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Just brewed this for the first time.

I buy my Base grains (2-Row and Maris Otter) in bulk so I substituted 2.5 lbs of each for 5 lbs of Pilsner malt.

I also got much better efficiency (81.2% by BeerSmith) and my OG came in at 1.076. I am hoping my starter was enough to get this to take off. I was using WLP-530 that was washed from an old dubbel (about 10 months ago) and has been happy in my fridge since. I didn't expect such a high OG, so I only did 1L. I guess time will tell.

Primary: Mooch Hooch (Beirmuncher's Black Pearl Porter)
Wooden Stock (Old Ale)
Bottled:
8 Gauge (Rochefort 8 clone)
The Last Shot (Belgian Trippel)
Kegged: Nothing due to a recent move!

Old 12-05-2013, 09:10 PM   #44
sok454
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

What do you think about using 2-row or MO instead of the belgian pils? Will it be detrimental?

Started brewing October 2012 with the Irish Car Bomb Stout (extract)

June 2013 Moved to BIAB/Partial Mash

August 2013 Moved to Full Mash 5 Gal MT

August 2013 Russian Imperial Stout "Time Warp Tongue Tickler" won Gold at local brew competition. Only 12 weeks from brew date!!!

Old 01-18-2014, 11:14 PM   #45
SteelRinger
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sok454 View Post
What do you think about using 2-row or MO instead of the belgian pils? Will it be detrimental?
It will change the flavor a bit. MO will make it more "bready" and straight 2-row will probably result in a bit less "malty" characteristic.

As you can see from above, I didn't have any Pilsner so I split it 50/50 with 2-row and MO. Also my LHBS didn't have Carafa I so I had to use Carafa II, which is a bit darker. Lastly, I ended up with a stuck ferm so I pitched a smack-pack of Wyeast 1762 - Abbey II to get it to go.

Lastly, because I got such good chocolate notes while tasting my gravity reading samples I decided to age this one on some oak chips that I had soaking on a local Cabernet that has great dark cherry and currant flavors. (Yes, I have multiple jars of oak chips soaking in various alcohols ) It sat on the chips for a month. I then put it in a keg and let it age for ~3 months.

I just finished my first glass of the beer and I must say it is outstanding. A solid head that lingers and lacing that stays in the glass until the end. Solid mouthfeel. The chocolate notes combine perfectly with the flavors from the red wine. The vanilla flavor from the oak underlines the whole thing and then the tiny alcohol burn that is typical of a strong Belgian finishes the whole experience.

I am probably going to bottle a few of these out of the keg and enter them into some local HB comps to see what others think.

Primary: Mooch Hooch (Beirmuncher's Black Pearl Porter)
Wooden Stock (Old Ale)
Bottled:
8 Gauge (Rochefort 8 clone)
The Last Shot (Belgian Trippel)
Kegged: Nothing due to a recent move!

Old 01-28-2014, 04:03 AM   #46
sok454
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I just kegged it. Going to carb it w sugar vs co2. Hope it works well. Interested to see how it comes out.

Started brewing October 2012 with the Irish Car Bomb Stout (extract)

June 2013 Moved to BIAB/Partial Mash

August 2013 Moved to Full Mash 5 Gal MT

August 2013 Russian Imperial Stout "Time Warp Tongue Tickler" won Gold at local brew competition. Only 12 weeks from brew date!!!

Old 02-08-2014, 06:54 PM   #47
fenners
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Just brewed up a batch of this, and it's been an utterly straightforward brew day so far. Thanks for sharing the recipe! Only changes I made was to up the first hop to a whole ounce, and I used D90 Candi syrup. WLP530 is raring to go

I was thinking of following the Westlerven12 fermentation schedule.. Would that work for a dubbel?

Quick Reply