Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian Strong Ale > All-Grain - Allagash Curieux Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2013, 05:39 PM   #21
1Mainebrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I just let it hang out on the cake the whole time but either way would work. Have fun, it's delish!

Carboy 3: Chianti
Better Bottle: Air
Growlers: 1 Gallon of Wild Yeast Culture!
Keg 1: Kate the Great Clone (left tap)
Keg 2: Bourbon Imperial Stout (right tap)
Keg 3: Air
Keg 4: Air
Bottles: Sauvignon Blanc, Mixed Wine, Syrah, Apple Wine, Triberry Wine

In the Works: IPA

Favorite Recipe #1: Kate the Great Clone
Favorite Recipe #2: Crop Chopper PAL
Favorite Recipe #3: Curieux Clone

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2013, 05:13 PM   #22
bolus14
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 3

JWeidman - not sure if you got an answer about a 10 gallon batch but what I would do is make a 10 gallon batch. Rack 5 gallons to a secondary, with the Jim Beam soaked oak chips and leave the other 5 gallon in the primary. After the "oak aging" rack them together.

Allagash states that they blend "oaked" and "unoaked" to make the finished beer. I have yet to find a clone recipe that states what quantities of each to use though. In the end your looking to find the right taste of bourbon when it gets mixed. To me both the Curieux and the Bourbon black have a nice subtle bourbon taste to them, many over do the bourbon aspect and you lose the base beer taste. So, I think your just looking for a subtle bourbon finish as the end result.

Old 02-09-2014, 09:03 PM   #23
nimboden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolus14 View Post
JWeidman - not sure if you got an answer about a 10 gallon batch but what I would do is make a 10 gallon batch. Rack 5 gallons to a secondary, with the Jim Beam soaked oak chips and leave the other 5 gallon in the primary. After the "oak aging" rack them together.

Allagash states that they blend "oaked" and "unoaked" to make the finished beer. I have yet to find a clone recipe that states what quantities of each to use though. In the end your looking to find the right taste of bourbon when it gets mixed. To me both the Curieux and the Bourbon black have a nice subtle bourbon taste to them, many over do the bourbon aspect and you lose the base beer taste. So, I think your just looking for a subtle bourbon finish as the end result.
This is one of my favorite beers, been working with a recipe so this will be one of my next beers.

On a tour to Allagash they said they blend at about 80/20 beam barrel triple to fresh triple.

Gallons Brewed 2013: 165

Old 02-20-2014, 09:19 PM   #24
cixelsyd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 8

This is my favorite beer of all time, I can't wait to make this. I know there was some discussion in the other thread about the necessity of the two types of yeast, but I was looking for a substitute for the Wyeast 3522, and apparently it is the same yeast as the WLP550? If that's the case, it's simply a matter of having a proper starter made, yes?

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/best-replacement-wyeast-belgian-ardennes-3522-out-these-options-184872/

http://www.mrmalty.com/yeast.htm#Wyeast_vs_WLP

REALLY looking forward to trying this out, especially after all the positive feedback in the other thread! Thanks for putting it together!

Old 03-08-2014, 06:54 PM   #25
aggiebrewster
Recipes 

Default I.am.so.excited.

I went to go visit Allagash two summers ago and they instantly became one of my favorites.

This recipe looks fantastic. I've got all ingredients and am ready to go.

I brew in 1 gallon batches for versatility in addition to spatial constraints. I've read and heard a lot of issues with bourbon-oak over-powering the 1 gallon batches. How much oak chip do you recommend that I use and how long should I soak them?

Thanks!

Old 03-08-2014, 09:09 PM   #26
bolus14
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 3

If your using oak chips in a one gallon batch I would leave it on the oak long and wouldn't use very much at all. The chips have a lot of surface area so it won't take long to get the oak flavor imparted.

I used 3oz of cubes mixed with about 3.5oz of Devils Cut Bourbon for 5 gallons. The oak is definitely there, not overpowering but its noticeable.

I soaked mine for I think 4 weeks total. 2 weeks before brewing then primaried for 2 weeks then racked onto the oak for 2 weeks.

I know that's not a straight answer but I think your going to want to take sole each day after a few days and then decide when it tastes good to you. The oak has became stronger as the beer has aged so keep that in mind.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Home Brew mobile app

Old 03-10-2014, 05:22 AM   #27
aggiebrewster
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolus14 View Post
If your using oak chips in a one gallon batch I would leave it on the oak long and wouldn't use very much at all. The chips have a lot of surface area so it won't take long to get the oak flavor imparted.

I used 3oz of cubes mixed with about 3.5oz of Devils Cut Bourbon for 5 gallons. The oak is definitely there, not overpowering but its noticeable.

I soaked mine for I think 4 weeks total. 2 weeks before brewing then primaried for 2 weeks then racked onto the oak for 2 weeks.

I know that's not a straight answer but I think your going to want to take sole each day after a few days and then decide when it tastes good to you. The oak has became stronger as the beer has aged so keep that in mind.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Home Brew mobile app
Thanks! This somewhat helps. I was thinking that since these chips are thin, it wouldn't take too long to soak in, nor absorb out. Would it make a difference if I just added the chips in w/o soaking and then add the bourbon towards the end of the secondary? I've never oaked before.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:38 PM   #28
Drizzt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimboden View Post
This is one of my favorite beers, been working with a recipe so this will be one of my next beers.

On a tour to Allagash they said they blend at about 80/20 beam barrel triple to fresh triple.

Ok so this is at the top of my list to brew. Is there any reason I can't split a 10 gallon batch and only oak age part then mix back together? He is the important question which part of 80/20 is is oak aged?

I'm not sure if my the flavors in my beer are off or complex 😳

Old 05-14-2014, 08:38 PM   #29
1Mainebrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 34

If you look at the other thread listed in the first post, that seems to be the preferred method.

Carboy 3: Chianti
Better Bottle: Air
Growlers: 1 Gallon of Wild Yeast Culture!
Keg 1: Kate the Great Clone (left tap)
Keg 2: Bourbon Imperial Stout (right tap)
Keg 3: Air
Keg 4: Air
Bottles: Sauvignon Blanc, Mixed Wine, Syrah, Apple Wine, Triberry Wine

In the Works: IPA

Favorite Recipe #1: Kate the Great Clone
Favorite Recipe #2: Crop Chopper PAL
Favorite Recipe #3: Curieux Clone

Quick Reply