10³ Belgian Strong

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrambledegg81

Flocculation Nation
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
WLP500 & 530
Yeast Starter
Yes!
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Additional Fermentation
Bottle condition for 1-2 months
Tasting Notes
See below!
This was one tricky brew, but I've learned a bit from it and will definitely be trying this one again. Great results in the end, heavy fruit/ester nose & a deep, nutty finish with a very slight hoppy twang to top it off. Final ABV was 8.3% (high FG, keep reading!)

.5 lb Special B
.5 lb CaraMunich
8.5 lb Light Pilsen LME
1.5 lb Bavarian Wheat DME
1.5 lb Dark Candi syrup

2 oz. Fuggles @ 60 min.
1 oz. Styrian Goldings @ 10 min.

Whirlfloc (1/2 tab was enough)

4 oz. corn sugar (priming solution)

Primary for 31 days @ 70F, bottled & conditioned for approx. 40 days at the same temperature. Due to the high OG, the yeast crapped out a bit early (target was 1.015), so I'd suggest doing a single starter for one yeast strain, then do another for the second after a week or two. It also took longer than expected to carbonate, but again (thanks to Revvy's infinite wisdom), it just took a little time.

Will age a few sixers and see how they develop in the next few months. :mug:

Flavo-update:

Nearing 2 months since brewing, this has aged amazingly well. Esters have calmed down a lot, but still pungent banana, clove & that deep, earthy, nutty spice that most people expect from a good Belgian. Still a bit warm on alcohol, but at 8.3% with little in the way of hops to mask it, that's to be expected. Noticed it's a bit more chewy than it was a few weeks ago, and head retention has improved as well...welcome news considering I was having carbonation worries!

Gah-shows how often I check old threads...

Quite satisfied with how it turned out. I think there was a bit of an issue of alcohol warmth with the high OG, but cutting down on to possibly 8 lbs of Pilsen extract might fix that. Also might consider using White Lab's WLP545 next time for a more "authentic" fermentation (all a matter of opinion), but overall this sucker ages extremely well & flavor is definitely on-par with the few Belgian Strongs I've had in the past.

Aaand after checking my cases of (what I presumed were empty) bottles prior to getting my Saison going, turns out I had 8 bottles left. Good lord, it's awesome now! First impression of a mellow brown ale, then the nuttiness kicks in & finishes with that nice alcohol warmth (which has died down considerably since last I tasted). Flavor-wise, it's changed slightly from banana/clove to a really nice woody-pear-esque flavor that's surprisingly drinkable!

Back