Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Sour Ale > All-Grain - West Fanders Red

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2013, 05:48 AM   #11
Aschecte
Brewtus Maximus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by helgibelgi View Post
I will be copying this recipe. I've got a wyeast 3763 packet in my fridge waiting for me.

I will leave out the flaked maize I think though. Do you know how this might effect the beer?

Also I wanted to ask about the oak chips, when are you adding them?
Sorry for the late response ...... I based this recipe mainly off the Wild ales book and proportions based on ratio of the traditional style. Flaked maize adds fermentable sugars without adding more body to the beer so your gravity may be off and it may be a bit more heavy bodied than the style calls for a flanders red should be pretty light bodied , it also has a pretty neutral flavor contribution. As far as the oak I did not use chips I used cubes as there is less surface area and less oak contribution ...... I added the from the beginning as I plan on harvesting the cubes when bottling day comes all those bugs love to live in oak as they can feed off the oak itself and kind of make it their home base. then in theory I could pitch a neutral or otherwise Sacch strain and add the cubes and make my own sour mix so to speak. I have heard a lot of people depending on how they actually "do" the ageing process add the cubes chips or spirals to the secondary to minimize the contribution of the oak. IMHO at the level of oz per gallon of beer I will have a minimal to slight moderate contribution at best even with 18 months of contact time. hope that helps and sorry for the long winded response.
Secondary-Burley whiner American barleywine
Primary-A dark German lager or a Hoppy Munich Helles

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply