West Fanders Red

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aschecte

Brewtus Maximus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 3763
Yeast Starter
No
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
12 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 @ 68F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
60 @ 80
Additional Fermentation
487 @ 72
Tasting Notes
Traditional Fanders Red sour
West Fanders Red
Flanders Red Ale
Type: All Grain Date: 9/28/2012
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal Brewer: Aaron Schecter
Boil Size: 9.22 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 90 min Equipment: Aaron's mlt
End of Boil Volume 7.02 gal Brewhouse Efficiency: 69.26 %
Final Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal Est Mash Efficiency 85.0 %
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage Taste Rating(out of 50): 30.0
Taste Notes:
Ingredients

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
5 lbs 10.0 oz Vienna Malt (Briess) (3.5 SRM) Grain 1 50.0 %
2 lbs 4.0 oz Maize, Flaked (Thomas Fawcett) (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 20.0 %
1 lbs 0.2 oz Aromatic Malt (Dingemans) (19.0 SRM) Grain 3 9.0 %
1 lbs 0.2 oz Carahell (Weyermann) (13.0 SRM) Grain 4 9.0 %
1 lbs 0.2 oz Caramel Vienne 20L (Briess) (20.0 SRM) Grain 5 9.0 %
5.4 oz Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 6 3.0 %
0.80 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 12.7 IBUs
1.0 pkg Roselare Belgian Blend (Wyeast Labs #3763) [124.21 ml] [Add to Secondary] Yeast 8 -
0.25 oz Oak Chips (Secondary 7.0 days) Flavor 9 -

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.050 SG Measured Original Gravity: 1.063 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.8 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 7.0 %
Bitterness: 12.7 IBUs Calories: 210.2 kcal/12oz
Est Color: 11.8 SRM
Mash Profile

Mash Name: Flanders Red Total Grain Weight: 11 lbs 4.0 oz
Sparge Water: 6.83 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 176.0 F Tun Temperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE Mash PH: 5.20

Mash Steps
Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Mash Step Add 15.96 qt of water at 139.2 F 122.0 F 20 min
Mash Step Decoct 5.93 qt of mash and boil it 145.0 F 40 min
Mash Step Decoct 5.88 qt of mash and boil it 162.0 F 30 min
Mash Step Decoct 3.25 qt of mash and boil it 169.0 F 10 min

Sparge Step: Fly sparge with 6.83 gal water at 176.0 F
Mash Notes:
Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: Bottle Volumes of CO2: 2.3
Pressure/Weight: 3.93 oz Carbonation Used: Bottle with 3.93 oz Corn Sugar
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 70.0 F Age for: 30.00 days
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage Storage Temperature: 65.0 F
Notes

Created with BeerSmith

Depending on your particular setup you could either decoct the mash as I do or if able to use a direct fire step being sure to stir constantly so to keep the temperature even, if you really really wanted to you could also do infusions in a 10 gallon cooler but the mash would be super thin and would greatly reduce the amount of sparge water and the ability to rinse the grain well. Also if desired you could add a Sacch. strain as well like 1056 or 001 and co-pitch with the Rosaelare blend.

Have you tasted this yet? 3763 was your primary yeast blend right? I've heard that this one in primary can get funky fairly quickly.

no not yet ..... it's at 7 months right now..... it is just starting to form a pellicle and I'm trying to just set it and forget it until May of 2014 which will make it 18 months and then I will taste it.... call me weird if I taste it now and it's great I'll want to bottle and it is way to young still and not fully developed. I have a hard time controlling myself so it's best for me to leave it be. If it tastes like crap that's ok to as I know sours go through this phase and I don't want to worry about it ( I have problems on that side too ) so no tasting notes for quite sometime. I can tell you this much I read wild brews about 3 times and I built this recipe around percentage ranges found in wild brews. So that said it is my recipe my grain bill and balanced to traditional Flanders red specifications. I have very high hopes for this beer I really worked hard and I am optimistic it will turn out great !!

Oh and to answer your question I used the Roselare blend which I do believe is wyeast 3763 and I was strongly recommended by wyeast to use this as the only strain period none of this us-05 first stuff and the 3763 in secondary. Wyeast told me and I have the emails to back this up to treat it like a lambic pitch the yeast and walk away there is no risk of autolysis as the brett will consume the dead yeast and the bacteria needs to stay at the built up concentration so no secondary this will stay on the cake for the full 18 months.

Ok 3 posts in a row sorry I just read through my recipe and there is a misprint #1 this is single stage not two stage and I have a brew belt on it and it stays at a constant 75 degrees inside my fermentation chamber ( repurposed and insulated closet). everything else is correct.

Right on, I'm thinking about doing something similar. Thanks for the info and hope this turns out awesome for ya!!

I will be copying this recipe. I've got a wyeast 3763 packet in my fridge waiting for me.

I will leave out the flaked maize I think though. Do you know how this might effect the beer?

Also I wanted to ask about the oak chips, when are you adding them?

I will be copying this recipe. I've got a wyeast 3763 packet in my fridge waiting for me.

I will leave out the flaked maize I think though. Do you know how this might effect the beer?

Also I wanted to ask about the oak chips, when are you adding them?

Sorry for the late response ...... I based this recipe mainly off the Wild ales book and proportions based on ratio of the traditional style. Flaked maize adds fermentable sugars without adding more body to the beer so your gravity may be off and it may be a bit more heavy bodied than the style calls for a flanders red should be pretty light bodied , it also has a pretty neutral flavor contribution. As far as the oak I did not use chips I used cubes as there is less surface area and less oak contribution ...... I added the from the beginning as I plan on harvesting the cubes when bottling day comes all those bugs love to live in oak as they can feed off the oak itself and kind of make it their home base. then in theory I could pitch a neutral or otherwise Sacch strain and add the cubes and make my own sour mix so to speak. I have heard a lot of people depending on how they actually "do" the ageing process add the cubes chips or spirals to the secondary to minimize the contribution of the oak. IMHO at the level of oz per gallon of beer I will have a minimal to slight moderate contribution at best even with 18 months of contact time. hope that helps and sorry for the long winded response.

no not yet ..... it's at 7 months right now..... it is just starting to form a pellicle and I'm trying to just set it and forget it until May of 2014 which will make it 18 months and then I will taste it.... call me weird if I taste it now and it's great I'll want to bottle and it is way to young still and not fully developed. I have a hard time controlling myself so it's best for me to leave it be. If it tastes like crap that's ok to as I know sours go through this phase and I don't want to worry about it ( I have problems on that side too ) so no tasting notes for quite sometime. I can tell you this much I read wild brews about 3 times and I built this recipe around percentage ranges found in wild brews. So that said it is my recipe my grain bill and balanced to traditional Flanders red specifications. I have very high hopes for this beer I really worked hard and I am optimistic it will turn out great !!

So how did it turn out? I am a sour deer super fan. I currently have 1 full size bourbon barrel full of lambic filled 4-29-17 with Melange from yeast bay and a 30gal Gin barrel full of Farmhouse with rosalares filled 8-18-14. Also have 60 gal of lambic in primary and swelling a bourbon barrel for it. Then a red wine barrel that second use was whiskey, that I am planning on doing a Oud Bruin in.

Back