Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Sour Ale > All-Grain - Spurhund Zunge

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2010, 09:23 PM   #111
steinsato
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 17

So, I ended up leaving it in primary for a month then I transferred it to secondary. It has been in secondary for about a month now and it just starting to show a bit of pellicle formation. Their is a white ring around the top of the beer on the glass carboy and some white bubble looking islands floating in the middle. I think I'm gonna let it sit for another month then bottle (I'm hoping there will be enough sach/brett to carbonate it with priming sugar. I think just to be safe, I'd rather not put this beer into a keg and then run it through my keg lines.

"The ordinary world is only the foam on top of the real world." Tom Robbins (B is for Beer)
"It's a beautiful day for baseball. Let's play two." Ernie Banks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2010, 09:45 PM   #112
DirkDiggler
Recipes 

So I'm getting ready to do an extract of this recipe and was wondering about when I should add the European versus the Lacto. I see some are saying it's not sour enough but others are saying it's too sour. The only beer of this style that I've had is The Bruery's Hottenroth, which was basically just the amount of sour I'd like. Anyone know how the sourness should compare to that if I pitched both at the same time?

Old 12-14-2010, 01:39 PM   #113
nathan
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Lacto seems to work so slow that I think this beer is about patience, not about which to pitch first in a matter of days. I plan on just tossing them in simultaneously and leaving them to rot in the basement for six months before I pester the beer. The tail end of the batch I made last summer is now developing a pucker, so six months seems to be right.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:07 AM   #114
nmber0nestunna
Recipes 

what temp do i want to ferment this at? i pitched my lacto starter at 95 and am planning to let it sit 48 hours. do i keep it in the 90s via fermwrap or do i let it drop to 68 over 48 hours and then pitch my yeast? also what temp do i age this at?

Old 12-21-2010, 01:47 PM   #115
nathan
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

at this point I firmly believe that we are overthinking and overworking this beer. Just throw a wort together, barely boil it, run it off to some carboys or buckets, put in some bugs and yeast and forget about it for six months. Viola! you have nice sour beer.

I just made some and put it in the corner in the basement to ignore until summer.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:45 AM   #116
cntry036
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan View Post
at this point I firmly believe that we are overthinking and overworking this beer. Just throw a wort together, barely boil it, run it off to some carboys or buckets, put in some bugs and yeast and forget about it for six months. Viola! you have nice sour beer.

I just made some and put it in the corner in the basement to ignore until summer.
i haven't brewed this yet, but when i do i think i'm going to go by your thinking.

seems like i read somewhere else that with sour beers the temp change from the seasons changing add to the flavor??

Old 01-28-2011, 04:15 AM   #117
godofcheese
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntry036

i haven't brewed this yet, but when i do i think i'm going to go by your thinking.

seems like i read somewhere else that with sour beers the temp change from the seasons changing add to the flavor??
That's what i do and it works great. It sits in my garage here in Texas and the lacto really flourish. There is a picture of the Brett growing on top of the current batch in the sour ale pelicile thread.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:11 PM   #118
GiraffeBrew
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'm all over this!!!

Old 06-03-2011, 08:10 PM   #119
Volitan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Bottling

I also posted this under the bottling section, but figured I would post it here since this is the recipe I used.

I brewed this recipe and placed into a primary fermenter on January 24, 2011. The beer was transferred to a secondary fermenter on February 27, 2011 and has been sitting there since. OG - 1.032, FG - 1.005.

The yeast used for fermentation was the White Labs WLP630 Berliner Weisse Blend that is "A blend of a traditional German Weizen yeast and Lactobacillus."

I am now ready to bottle the beer, but I am unsure if the prolonged secondary will allow my beer to carbonate with priming sugar added. Do I need to repitch yeast? My understanding is that lacto will not produce CO2 to carbonate the beer, and I am unsure if there is adequate yeast left to perform the job.

Any help/insight/previous experience would be helpful!

Old 08-08-2011, 07:36 PM   #120
bad coffee
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 422 Times on 419 Posts
Likes Given: 47

grinding the grain for this, going to brew it tonight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuljin View Post
Wtf was chasing you for an hour? Buy a gun already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
I'm a meat hunter. PKU.

Quick Reply