Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Sour Ale > All-Grain - Sans Le Chat from "Wild Brews"

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2012, 12:19 AM   #11
bassbone
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theoutlawjoseywales View Post
I can't get jolly pumpkin around here. I wonder if there is an easy way for me to get their bugs...
I'd focus on harvesting from beers you like that you can get where you are. there is a good list here

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2012, 11:13 PM   #12
stikolaboloni
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

One more question. What's the idea there with secondary fermenting at 55 F or less? Got my hands on some JP and wanted to give this a go, but the best I could prob do is like 60-65 in my den

Old 05-16-2012, 02:36 AM   #13
bassbone
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

the only thing he mentions about it is that a cooler fermentation is supposed to increase the development of traditional "flavors and aromas"

I have not tried this recipe more than once, and thus have not tried this recipe at different fermentation temps, but I highly doubt that 55 deg is a magic number. If 60-65 is what you can handle go with that and see what you think.

Also, if you are concerned about the temp and not using a swamp cooler, that might put you down below 55 degrees. lots of threads explain it if you search here.

Old 05-16-2012, 02:54 AM   #14
stikolaboloni
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Good stuff, thanks. I'll let you know how it ends up

Old 08-08-2013, 09:10 PM   #15
kaips1
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theoutlawjoseywales View Post
Only 4-6 weeks of fermentation to get those sour characteristics??
this isnt supposed to be a sour beer. brett doesnt sour, 4-6 wks to start getting brett aromas and flavors.

Old 11-20-2013, 09:07 PM   #16
Tvalone
Recipes 

Default Sans Le Chat - questions new brewer

I bought the book wildBrews and read thru it, great book! Being new to home brewing I had a few question as the recipe for Sans Le Chat takes some interpretation. Here is what I have so far

I assume that I would be using this receipe for 5 gallons, please correct me if wrong

5 gallons of water
9 lbs of Pilsner
.5 lbs of wheat
.5 lbs of Acidulated
Williamette hops quantity unknown ??

Mash grains for 90 minutes - I assume that you cover grains with enough water to make into a oatmeal consistency.

Sparge with water until 5 gallons is obtained

Boil for 1.5 hours

Pour into fermenter (I will be using a 5 gallon glass Carboy)

Pitch Wyeast #3112 & #3536

Ferment for 2 weeks and then bottle for secondary fermentation??

In the book he says to use .25 oz at the end of the boil , but how much do you use before and how much??

Thanks for any responses and help, new to brewing but loving it!

Old 11-20-2013, 10:45 PM   #17
bassbone
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hi Tvalone-

Answers below

I would consider this book intermediate to advanced level brewing. Might be a good idea to start with John Palmer's How to Brew

You asked:
- I assume that I would be using this receipe for 5 gallons, please correct me if wrong Correct, batch size is 5 Gallons
5 gallons of water not exactly.... I would search Grain Absorption on the forum
- Williamette hops quantity unknown ??Quantity is known. IBUs tells you how much to add (I would search for IBU as well)
- Mash grains for 90 minutes - I assume that you cover grains with enough water to make into a oatmeal consistency. I would search for beginning all grain brewing to clear this up
- Sparge with water until 5 gallons is obtained you need enough water that after boiling for 1.5 hours you are left with 5 gallons
- Pour into fermenter (I will be using a 5 gallon glass Carboy) for 5 gallons of beer, you need a 6.5 gallon fermenter.
- Ferment for 2 weeks and then bottle for secondary fermentation?? Ferment until it is done. It will probably take much longer than 2 weeks
- In the book he says to use .25 oz at the end of the boil , but how much do you use before and how much?? this goes back to the answer about IBUs.

Old 11-25-2013, 01:29 PM   #18
stikolaboloni
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Oops forgot to report back... I brewed this last December and recently bottled half the batch, overall I was satisfied with my first go-round. It's hugely tart but also gives off some nice aroma and character -- I happened to have some Petrus Aged Pale (also very tart) and tried them back to back and frankly I thought this blew the Petrus away.

The other half of the batch I moved to a 3g carboy for further aging, nice pellicle formed. I'm gonna let it go for another 6 months or so and see how it changes, hopefully draw out some more of the Brett "funk" to complement the intense sourness. Or maybe the Lacto has simply dominated and it just gets super super sour, we'll see. Perhaps I'll blend it with a young brown ale or something. I like having the smaller carboy as a blending/aging option.

Oh and I followed a similar recipe -- again using only stepped up JP dregs -- on another batch I brewed on 9/2/13. I kinda want to experiment to see how quickly I can turn around half-decent sours. So for example, if I can get a consistent result after 6 months, I'd brew a new batch every 3 months to keep a decent rotation of sours going (while still splitting batches for further blending/aging).

Overall I just want to give a shoutout to you bassbone for inspiring me to start down this path. I think the next time I may pitch with one or two of the Wyeast brett strains just to see the difference as it ages

Old 06-29-2014, 09:37 PM   #19
bassbone
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just thought I would mention that I just brewed this again today and this time I stuck to the recipe suggestion about yest strains. I pitched WLP653 and WLP 644. Will report back once it is done!

Quick Reply