Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Sour Ale > All-Grain - Rodenbach Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2013, 01:45 AM   #61
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 150 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteo57 View Post
When you add oak into these beers, do you let the oak sit in water or beer or whatever for a week or two before putting it into the secondary for... the duration of the secondary aging process? How long do you leave the oak in there? I'm thinking of using american or french oak cubes.
Thanks!
If I used WLP530 and WLP001 in primary then racked to secondary onto rosalare... how different would the two versions be?
i put some red wine in a mason jar along with oak cubes then put it in a pressure cooker until it got to max pressure for a minute. i vented the cooker, got it open, screwed the lid shut and let it sit on the counter for a couple of weeks. this killed any weird bugs that may have been in the wood and pushed the wine deep into the wood. i dropped the chunks into the better bottle (after the ropey phase had cleared up), they have been in there for 3+ months and the sour tastes fantastic so far.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2013, 04:21 AM   #62
Matteo57
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastoak View Post
i put some red wine in a mason jar along with oak cubes then put it in a pressure cooker until it got to max pressure for a minute. i vented the cooker, got it open, screwed the lid shut and let it sit on the counter for a couple of weeks. this killed any weird bugs that may have been in the wood and pushed the wine deep into the wood. i dropped the chunks into the better bottle (after the ropey phase had cleared up), they have been in there for 3+ months and the sour tastes fantastic so far.
Sounds like a good idea to me!

Old 09-20-2013, 02:58 AM   #63
Brewing_on_the_Internet
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Og?

When i punch this into Beersmith my og comes to 1.073 at 70% efficiency without the maltodextrin added. Your Og is only 1.060. Is anyone else getting a difference?

Nevermind. I had it set for 5 gallons instead of 6

Last edited by Brewing_on_the_Internet; 09-20-2013 at 05:06 AM. Reason: error in calc

Old 12-17-2013, 10:13 PM   #64
FredTheNuke
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Just started a 60 gallon Lambic Solera aimed at an RGC clone. From what I've read the Roeselare is the key to the tart cherry flavor. Below are the recipe details I used (probably a bit lighter than a true Flanders Red but I can adjust that with some Special B on Year 2). The entire batch will remain in a 60 gallon conical fermenter for the duration. Each year I will dump the yeast trap / trub catcher (4700 ml in volume), siphon off 15 gallons and add 15 fresh gallons. By year 3 it should be an amazing blend!

The 15 "Year 1" gallons will be put on 2lbs/gallon of fruit for 6 additional months and then kegged/force carbonated. I will add oak cubes to half of it (figuring it will take four 5 gallon carboys with the fruit taken into account). I'm going to prepare the cubes like eastoak mentioned to weaken the new oak flavor, control the bugz and add the wine tint.

Fred's Sour Lambic

Straight (Unblended) Lambic (17 D)

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 16.00 gal
Boil Size: 20.68 gal
Boil Time: 90 min

Equipment: Stainless Kegs (15 Gal/37.8 L) - All Grain
Efficiency: 62.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 65.9 %

Ingredients

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

25 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 58.1 %
10 lbs Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 23.3 %
6 lbs Munich Malt (6.0 SRM) Grain 3 14.0 %
2 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 4 4.7 %
2.50 oz Saaz [3.80 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 10.5 IBUs

Gravity, Alcohol Content and Color

Est Original Gravity: 1.062 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.019 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.7 %
Bitterness: 10.5 IBUs
Est Color: 6.5 SRM

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Full Body, No Mash Out
Sparge Water: 12.40 gal
Sparge Temperature: 190.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE

Total Grain Weight: 43 lbs
Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Tun Temperature: 72.0 F
Mash PH: 5.20

Mash Steps

Name Description Step Temperature Step Time

Mash In Add 61.75 qt of water at 166.7 F 156.0 F 60 min

Sparge: Fly sparge with 12.40 gal water at 190.0 F
Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).

Old 03-25-2014, 06:06 AM   #65
pukexxr
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I just brewed this today but just used a packet of us-05 and all the white labs bugs they had at the brew store: B. clausenii, B. lambicus, B. bruxellensis and B. bruxellensis trois. My concern is that the second runnings (with s-33) are bubbling up a storm, but the carboy with all the bugs and us-05 is completely still. Both yeasts were pitched @ 80 degrees farenheit. Am I just being paranoid?

In Primary: Apfelwein Galaxy, Rottskagg Stout, Rottskagg IPA
In Secondary:
Bottled: Two-Hearted Ale Clone (Close as they come) (US-05), Two-Hearted Ale Clone (close as they come) (S-04), Centennial Amber Ale, Animals Brew Harvest Ale (with hops grown in our community garden), Tropical Hotdog Nightmare IPA

Old 03-25-2014, 07:07 PM   #66
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 150 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by pukexxr View Post
I just brewed this today but just used a packet of us-05 and all the white labs bugs they had at the brew store: B. clausenii, B. lambicus, B. bruxellensis and B. bruxellensis trois. My concern is that the second runnings (with s-33) are bubbling up a storm, but the carboy with all the bugs and us-05 is completely still. Both yeasts were pitched @ 80 degrees farenheit. Am I just being paranoid?
yes.

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS