Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Sour Ale > All-Grain - Rodenbach Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2013, 12:33 PM   #51
dfess1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 73

I brewed 5 gal of this in august and pitched just one package of rosalere on it. I racked it off the yeast in novemberish time frame, saved the cake. I re-brewed it for 10 gal just after the beginning of the year. This time I put a fresh package of rosalere in each carboy, along with the yeast cake from the first batch (split in two for each carboy). In terms of gravity, they all are down to 1.012 or lower (admittedly I have not taken a sample of the first 5 gal in a while, mainly because it's at the back of my crawl space). The plan is to blend all 15 gal together come this November/December. Half will then be aged on oak for a bit longer, while the other half will be bottled.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2013, 04:02 AM   #52
HopHoarder
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 29

So after 3 weeks in primary I moved my first Flanders to secondary. SG is currently at 1.02 which may seem a bit high but I mashed high (158 degrees) and used 2.5 lbs of unmalted wheat, so there's a fair bit of sugars in there that are going to give the Brett plenty to work on over time (OG was 1.055). I can already taste a bit of sour funk in there so that's encouraging. I also purposely racked some of the yeastcake over to the secondary.
I brewed Flanders 02 today with a similar recipe only I used only 1 lb of unmalted wheat this time and used 1.5lbs of flaked maize instead. I also added 1lb Malto-Dextrine at the end of the boil this time. I used the yeastcake from the first Flanders for the second (S-05 and Roselare blend). I would assume that this second batch will sour more quickly than the first batch as there should be more yeast and the Malto-Dextrine should help too.

In Secondary:Rakau/ Kohatu (Kohatu-Jak) IPA
In Secondary: Flanders Reds
[B]Chocolate Pecan Pumpkin Porter[B]

Recently Bottled:
Comet/ Belma IPA
TatFug IPA

Old 03-27-2013, 06:50 PM   #53
DeTech
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 10

My sourness level isn't where I want to be at 3mos. My sach finished at 1.016 which seems low after reading through the thread. Even tho it's early I'm going to add some MD. Since MD has an SG potential of 40pts, a 1/2 lb should get me from 1.016 to 1.020 in a 5 Gal batch.

It's about time to start the next batch... (the sour must flow). this time I'm mashing in crazy high 158-162. wish me luck.

Sour Patch Cider | CoCo Quad | The Way it Gose | Saison d'Banjo | Saison The Elder | Dry Irish Stout | 1/2 & 1/2 (Slumbrew My Better Half clone) | Atomic Red | New England Cyser | Thursday Nite Porter | Concord Trippel | CinaGuava Winter Ale | Far East IPA (x4) | Gingered Wheat | Haitian Cream Stout

Old 03-28-2013, 11:36 PM   #54
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 144 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeTech View Post
My sourness level isn't where I want to be at 3mos. My sach finished at 1.016 which seems low after reading through the thread. Even tho it's early I'm going to add some MD. Since MD has an SG potential of 40pts, a 1/2 lb should get me from 1.016 to 1.020 in a 5 Gal batch.

It's about time to start the next batch... (the sour must flow). this time I'm mashing in crazy high 158-162. wish me luck.
i would not worry about the sourness level at 3 months, if you used sour bugs it will be sour come bottling time. it's very hard to predict how sour a beer will be by tasting it 3 months in, i would claim it's impossible. how can one tell that a 1.020 beer will be more or less sour than a 1.016 beer? i'm not saying you should or shouldn't add MD just that adding it is not directly related to the level of sourness.

Old 03-29-2013, 01:53 AM   #55
Aschecte
Brewtus Maximus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastoak

i would not worry about the sourness level at 3 months, if you used sour bugs it will be sour come bottling time. it's very hard to predict how sour a beer will be by tasting it 3 months in, i would claim it's impossible. how can one tell that a 1.020 beer will be more or less sour than a 1.016 beer? i'm not saying you should or shouldn't add MD just that adding it is not directly related to the level of sourness.
Correct me if I'm wrong here but if your sacch strain finished at 1.016 that leaves .016 sugars left for all those souring bugs that can eat the dextrins the sacch cannot and therefore logic says a lot more sourness will be produced. Fwiw .016 worth of dextrins is probably a decent amount to work with to get you the sourness desired.
Secondary-Burley whiner American barleywine
Primary-A dark German lager or a Hoppy Munich Helles

Old 03-29-2013, 04:31 PM   #56
DeTech
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Sold. Thanks I'll let it be. It's so hard to leave it alone sometimes.

Sour Patch Cider | CoCo Quad | The Way it Gose | Saison d'Banjo | Saison The Elder | Dry Irish Stout | 1/2 & 1/2 (Slumbrew My Better Half clone) | Atomic Red | New England Cyser | Thursday Nite Porter | Concord Trippel | CinaGuava Winter Ale | Far East IPA (x4) | Gingered Wheat | Haitian Cream Stout

Old 03-30-2013, 01:41 AM   #57
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 144 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aschecte View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong here but if your sacch strain finished at 1.016 that leaves .016 sugars left for all those souring bugs that can eat the dextrins the sacch cannot and therefore logic says a lot more sourness will be produced. Fwiw .016 worth of dextrins is probably a decent amount to work with to get you the sourness desired.
the souring bugs are using more than just dextrins, they are munching on byproducts made by other bacteria or yeast, dead yeast, trub, wood sugars (if you are using wood) in addition to the usual dextrins/sugars.

Old 03-30-2013, 01:55 AM   #58
kingwood-kid
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aschecte View Post
Alcohol is less dense than water, so there are more than .016 worth of sugars left. Approximately twice as many, in fact. Depending on the proof, most liquor has a specific gravity just under 0.800 Not that all of those remaining sugars will be fermented, but they're in there.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in the BJCP's philosophy.

Old 03-30-2013, 11:41 PM   #59
Aschecte
Brewtus Maximus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingwood-kid View Post
Alcohol is less dense than water, so there are more than .016 worth of sugars left. Approximately twice as many, in fact. Depending on the proof, most liquor has a specific gravity just under 0.800 Not that all of those remaining sugars will be fermented, but they're in there.
Good point I forgot to figure for that... but still supports my point that there is still a decent amount for all those bugs to chomp on.
Secondary-Burley whiner American barleywine
Primary-A dark German lager or a Hoppy Munich Helles

Old 07-16-2013, 03:18 AM   #60
Matteo57
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

When you add oak into these beers, do you let the oak sit in water or beer or whatever for a week or two before putting it into the secondary for... the duration of the secondary aging process? How long do you leave the oak in there? I'm thinking of using american or french oak cubes.
Thanks!
If I used WLP530 and WLP001 in primary then racked to secondary onto rosalare... how different would the two versions be?

Quick Reply