Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Sour Ale > All-Grain - Rodenbach Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2012, 02:49 PM   #31
dfess1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 79

hmmm, need to rack this to a secondary. It's been in the primary for a month and a half now.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 07:39 PM   #32
brobeman
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I brewed this about a month ago and still have it in primary. I am going to rack to seconday and pitch the roselare tomorrow.

I am thinking about adding the MD. Do I just boil for 15 minutes, cool and add to secondary?

Thanks,
Brobe

Old 11-17-2012, 10:47 PM   #33
dfess1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 79

So i have a question here. I brewed this back in august, and pitched the rosalere directly into the primary (no 1056). I racked off the rosalere cake about a month and a half later. So, I have no pelecile at the moment. Should I ahve left it on the yeast? Should I repitch what I saved (tried to harvest the rosalere for future sours) into the secondary?

Old 11-26-2012, 03:32 PM   #34
Liquisky
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My water is horrible here in el paso. I usually use RO water and the primer in the brew science section and or brunwater online tool. Any advice on the proper water profile for this.beer?

Old 12-03-2012, 05:50 PM   #35
cactusgarrett
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Sorry for the delay - i've brewed this two ways: pitching 1056 first, THEN the Roeselare, as well as both from the beginning. You definitely get a more complex, round, sourness from pitching everything at once. Some people aren't into that, though. However, if you're looking for a Rodenback-inspired beer, you probably are.

The reason i used MD initially, was because pitching 1056 had it finishing lower than i wanted, and there wasn't much left for the Roe blend to work on. That's my hypothesis as to why it doesn't get sour enough. For the MD, you just have to dissolve and boil long enough to sanitize.

As far as water, i typically shoot for a Belgian profile (fairly soft).

~~ Malted barley wants to become beer. ~~

Old 12-27-2012, 03:16 AM   #36
Dgonza9
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I'm hoping someone can give me some advice on this.

My brew club has a 55 gallon oak barrel. We were planning on doing a sour in it and I agreed to host the barrel in my basement brewery. My concern is that the Roselare will basically infect the whole brewery. I'll have like 10 five gallon batches being put in there and taken out. Seems like lots of bugs will get airborne during that. Not to mention, Oak barrels breathe.

I love sours, but I'd like to make other beers as well. Am I being paranoid about infecting the whole place? It's a pretty small space, so the barrel will be like 10 feet from grain mill and all my other brew equipment.

Cheers.

Bourbon Barrel Duchesse De Bourgnone
Kegged:

Fermenting English Mild

on Deck: Lager?

Old 12-27-2012, 01:03 PM   #37
Aschecte
Brewtus Maximus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgonza9

My brew club has a 55 gallon oak barrel. We were planning on doing a sour in it and I agreed to host the barrel in my basement brewery. My concern is that the Roselare will basically infect the whole brewery. I'll have like 10 five gallon batches being put in there and taken out. Seems like lots of bugs will get airborne during that. Not to mention, Oak barrels breathe.

I love sours, but I'd like to make other beers as well. Am I being paranoid about infecting the whole place? It's a pretty small space, so the barrel will be like 10 feet from grain mill and all my other brew equipment.

Cheers.
Just be extra careful about sanitization and use seperates racking canes etc.... If possible ferment your clean beers in a seperate room though that may be over kill. I'd say you'll be fine.
Secondary-Burley whiner American barleywine
Primary-A dark German lager or a Hoppy Munich Helles

Old 01-04-2013, 02:28 AM   #38
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 150 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgonza9 View Post

Cheers.
for the past 2 years i've been brewing sour and clean beer using the same fermentors, siphons, the whole deal and have yet to have an unintentional sour beer. the reason i did this is not because i want to be a contrarian, i was genuinely curious about the question of cross contamination. most of what i read about sour bugs warned about bugs hiding in scratches, segregating equipment and the general invincibility of souring organisms. so far i can say that for the home brewer following good sanitation practices the dangers are very manageable.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:21 AM   #39
HopHoarder
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I'm getting some roselaire tomorrow and will be making this beer in the near future. Just curious as to how you bottle it...do you use regular 12 or 22oz bottles with caps? Do you use a boiled dextrose priming sugar/water mix before bottling like regular beer?

In Secondary:Rakau/ Kohatu (Kohatu-Jak) IPA
In Secondary: Flanders Reds
[B]Chocolate Pecan Pumpkin Porter[B]

Recently Bottled:
Comet/ Belma IPA
TatFug IPA

Old 02-07-2013, 02:38 AM   #40
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 150 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopHoarder View Post
I'm getting some roselaire tomorrow and will be making this beer in the near future. Just curious as to how you bottle it...do you use regular 12 or 22oz bottles with caps? Do you use a boiled dextrose priming sugar/water mix before bottling like regular beer?
you can, i did and it worked fine. mine sat in the fermentor for almost a so i bottled with champagne yeast.

Quick Reply