No Boil traditional berliner weiss

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikesandbrews

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
any brettanomyces you like
Yeast Starter
yes 2 of them
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
A lacto starter off raw grain
Batch Size (Gallons)
35L
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
Acidity gets off the charts, this beer really puckers.
recipe is simply 65% pale 2 row and 35% flaked grain of your choice. do a triple decoction and adjust protein rest for the flaked grain you choose. For a mash out decoction bring the mash to 85c and sparge with 85c water. this helps to pasteurize the mash. lauter to a sanitized vessel and pitch a starter of lacto grown from grain once temperature reaches 40c(100g grain and 1L of 1.030 wort). At 24-36 hours pitch your 1L starter of brettanomyces. Ferment for 30 days and keg.

I have one of these going right now. Mine is 70:30 Pilsner:wheat, no flaked malt. I did a standard (for me) mash in a 10 gallon rubbermaid at ~155 F and mash-hopped. I didn't make any attempts to sterilize, I just sparged it out into a kettle as though I was going to boil, then chilled with an immersion chiller and pitched it into my "Carboy of Truth" where I have made several sour beers on a Wyeast Lambic blend. Check it out here:

http://brewathonlite.blogspot.com/2014/09/berliner-weisse.html

Back