Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Sour Ale > All-Grain - Liberty Peach Berliner Weisse (Sour Mash)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2013, 04:23 AM   #11
Hoplander
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by magoobrew
following. ( for the recipe )
+1

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2013, 11:42 PM   #12
chip82
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

How did sparging affect the sourness from the mash? Would over mashing the water and sparging lighter save sourness?

Old 08-06-2013, 02:18 AM   #13
CadillacAndy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 44

My guess would be that there is only a certain amount of sugar for the lacto to munch on, regardless of if you increased mash ratio and decreased sparge volume. I have no proof to back that up, but it seems that in order to get more sour from it you'd need to:

A.) Increase the time the wort was souring for.
or
B.) Increase the amount of active bacteria you were pitching.

Any other comments are more than welcome. Just going off of my thoughts and experience.

Old 08-06-2013, 03:37 AM   #14
chip82
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I think I am going to try dropping the pH to 3 before boiling to get that lacto kick

Old 08-09-2013, 07:24 PM   #15
kirkenka
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I just completed a brew heavily inspired by this recipe. The primary differences are: Lower OG, used WY1007, and pitched White Labs Lacto Strain into the Mash Tun instead of the grain.

The process so far for me:

• Mashed in on Monday Night for a rest of 152 F
  • Tuesday morning took a temperature reading, it was 128 F, so I pitched the Lacto
  • Used plastic wrap near mash and on top of mash tun to contain the smell. Wrapped the mash tun in additional blankets.
  • Took a temperature reading on Tuesday night, still in the 90s, added 0.5 gallons of boiling water
  • Added another 0.5 gallons of boiling water on Wednesday. Also, tasted the mash. Nicely sour.
  • On Thursday, took a PH reading of 3.6. Just for information.
  • On Thursday, Drained and Sparged, FWH, boiled for 30 minutes, chilled, oxygenated, pitched a large 2L started of yeast and put in fermentation chamber at 64 F. The wort had a good tart flavor. I have high hopes for this one.
  • On Friday morning, checked and the airlock was bubbling 8 hours after pitching the yeast.

Old 08-09-2013, 09:42 PM   #16
CadillacAndy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkenka
I just completed a brew heavily inspired by this recipe. The primary differences are: Lower OG, used WY1007, and pitched White Labs Lacto Strain into the Mash Tun instead of the grain.

The process so far for me:
[*]Mashed in on Monday Night for a rest of 152 F[*]Tuesday morning took a temperature reading, it was 128 F, so I pitched the Lacto[*]Used plastic wrap near mash and on top of mash tun to contain the smell. Wrapped the mash tun in additional blankets.[*]Took a temperature reading on Tuesday night, still in the 90s, added 0.5 gallons of boiling water[*]Added another 0.5 gallons of boiling water on Wednesday. Also, tasted the mash. Nicely sour.[*]On Thursday, took a PH reading of 3.6. Just for information.[*]On Thursday, Drained and Sparged, FWH, boiled for 30 minutes, chilled, oxygenated, pitched a large 2L started of yeast and put in fermentation chamber at 64 F. The wort had a good tart flavor. I have high hopes for this one.[*]On Friday morning, checked and the airlock was bubbling 8 hours after pitching the yeast.
That all sounds great to me! I can't wait to hear how it turns out for you.

Looking for a way to give and receive beer feedback using online BJCP score sheets?
Check out - http://onlinebeerscores.com/ and my blog at http://onlinebeerscores.com/blog

Old 08-15-2013, 01:51 AM   #17
brianwhitley1
Recipes 

Any updates? I really enjoy Festina Peche and would like to give a Berliner Weisse a shot.

Old 08-19-2013, 03:39 AM   #18
kirkenka
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I transferred onto to 5 lbs of peaches today. Will probably let it go a week or so on the peaches, then keg and carb. The beer was nicely tart when I tried the hydrometer sample.

Old 08-19-2013, 07:59 PM   #19
brianwhitley1
Recipes 

I'm excited to hear how this turns out for you. Maybe we can arrange a beer trade. I've got a nice bourbon vanilla Porter (2x gold medsl winner) and I'd be willing to mail you a bottle In exchange for a bottle of your peach Berliner weisse

Old 08-23-2013, 02:57 PM   #20
kirkenka
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwhitley1 View Post
I'm excited to hear how this turns out for you. Maybe we can arrange a beer trade. I've got a nice bourbon vanilla Porter (2x gold medsl winner) and I'd be willing to mail you a bottle In exchange for a bottle of your peach Berliner weisse
Let me make sure it turns out well and then we can work out the details of the trade. I plan on kegging this weekend and force carbonating it. It should be ready by Labor Day. I will let you know and bottle some up for you if it is good.

Quick Reply