Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Sour Ale > All-Grain - Lambic Style / Kriek

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2010, 06:31 PM   #11
WildGingerBrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1901 Times on 1880 Posts
Likes Given: 5

update please?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2010, 09:05 PM   #12
Sixbillionethans
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Looks like I can no longer edit the OP as I had been...boo.

I've been brewing a lot, but that's all the time I've had so finding time to write about brewing has been less possible. As I'm currently on vacation, I finally have an unobstructed minute to update.

I kegged this beer on 18 June 2010, which made it 16 months old. Gravity was 1.008. It's currently almost 20 months old now.

Despite pounds of cherry carcasses in the carboy kegging went smoothly and without issue.

- Color is brilliantly clear and light red from the cherries. Sharp spritzy carbonation raises a pinkish head which diminishes almost immediately.
- Aroma has lots of fruit with significant brett and some earthiness. Definitely a beer that I can just sit and smell for a while before drinking.
- Flavor is tart and acidic, but not hugely sour. After taste is lingering cherries. Finish is very dry and seems to linger on tongue. More sweetness is evident as it warms up and I find an almost room temperature serving temp to be quite good.

I think it's a quality kriek. Since commercial bottles are so pricey my experience level with the style is lacking and I can't easily compare. I've had various sour beers from other US brewers and I would gladly compare this with any of them. I'm going to bottle several bombers to retain for several years of aging and bring out for special occasions.

I share the opinion of others on this and other forums that the Wyeast blend makes a fine beer, but seems to lack some complexity. This is a beer I'm proud of. Probably the best beer I've made to date. But I do think it has a little less depth than I desired. Various posts have commented on using commercial dregs. If I were to make another kriek, I'd seek out a fine commercial brand with viable dregs and add those as well.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:10 PM   #13
Rackerman
Recipes 

Congratulations on the long-haul. I'm jealous...

Old 09-24-2010, 09:12 PM   #14
Conodor
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Thanks for the follow up.

C.R.A.F.T. Member

(Most replys from my cell sorry for mispellin)

Old 09-28-2010, 03:48 PM   #15
winterparkmg
Recipes 

What do you think about pitching the US-05 and a tube of WLP-500 to get the belgian out of it on top of the lambic style? Citrusy with the sweetness of cherries? I have a very low grav wort that ended up sour from lautering 2 day old grains from a Belgian Trippel and I'd like to experiment with it. I'd definitely like to check out your recipe and fermentation schedule as a guideline for me. Thoughts?
~Wm

Old 09-29-2010, 04:58 PM   #16
Sixbillionethans
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterparkmg View Post
What do you think about pitching the US-05 and a tube of WLP-500 to get the belgian out of it on top of the lambic style? Citrusy with the sweetness of cherries? I have a very low grav wort that ended up sour from lautering 2 day old grains from a Belgian Trippel and I'd like to experiment with it. I'd definitely like to check out your recipe and fermentation schedule as a guideline for me. Thoughts?
~Wm
Sorry, I'm not really following what you're saying. You want to (or maybe already did) pitch a blend of US-05 and WLP 500 and then pitch a Lambic culture? I suppose there is no reason it wouldn't work.

Or, you did the US-05/WLP-500 and then it got sour and you're wondering if it will taste good? I don't know, I guess you should taste it.

Please understand that the recipe listed here was a laborious attempt to re-create the Lambic style: from a turbid mash, to a 5 hour boil, to a 16 month aging. I would not recommend taking the results and applying them to an "accidental" sour beer.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:00 PM   #17
GiraffeBrew
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So, how did this turn out????? I wanna know!!!!!!!

Old 02-19-2011, 10:53 PM   #18
wacko
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiraffeBrew View Post
So, how did this turn out????? I wanna know!!!!!!!
look up
Old 04-15-2011, 12:21 PM   #19
Rippt530
Recipes 

Congrats on a successful brew. I'm jealous of even having an extra carboy to leave occupied for that long. I need some new ones, I'm thinking 6-8 6.5 gals will get me to a good place.

Old 04-16-2011, 02:41 AM   #20
GiraffeBrew
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It will gwet you to a good place. And that place has lots of homebrew!! Cheers!!!!

Life is a Journey through bottles, one day you wake up and realize it's on tap.

Quick Reply