Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Sour Ale > Extract - Lambic (BOS, 3rd BOS and Two Golds)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2013, 04:21 PM   #61
Tarheel4985
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

I've been trying to find ECY for a little bit but I can't seem to respond to the Google Group in time. Anyone have any available?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellmtbbq View Post
You can make great lambics with extract but I think it's much easier to awesome lambics all grain. If you don't feel like doing a traditional turbid mash, mash high at 157-158 F and sparge with 175-185 F water. You wanna make tons of complex sugars and tannins for the Brett to work on. Tons of lambic recipes online... Check out themadfermentationist's lambic posts. Do 7-7.5 pounds of pilsner, 3-4 lbs of raw unmalted wheat, or flaked wheat. Skip the malodextrin

Don't just pitch 3278 Lambic blend. I like 3763 more, but pitch dregs, other cultures, or just ECY. It'll make a better lambic. And remember to age it for at least a year, especially all grain
  • Secondary 2:
  • Bottled:
  • Kegged 1: American Amber
  • Kegged 2: Arrogant Bastard Clone
  • Kegged 3: Apfelwein
  • Kegged 4: Coffee Porter

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 01:12 PM   #62
Zippox
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Finally getting around to making it... tonight. I am going to pick up a sour beer on my way home to add the dregs from in addition to the wyeast lambic pack. I was thinking of picking up Cuve Rene. I probably should stay away from JP with the initial pitch because I have heard that it is so aggressive that it would probably throw things out of proportion from the smack pack, right?

If not, which JP would you recommend from the picture?

I also have a couple others I can choose from as you can see in the pictures.

I'm just looking for someone to say 'pick <this one> because it's the best'.

photo4_zps559e61c2.jpg   photo1_zpsbff0b47e.jpg   photo_zps8a7e329a.jpg  

Old 02-07-2013, 09:20 PM   #63
urbanmyth
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Well, Duchesse and Rodenbach have no live bugs in them. They are either pasteurized or filtered before bottling. Cuvee Rene has a goodly amount of bugs, and they are quite pleasant.

I haven't had a problem with JP bugs, quite the contrary. I bought the freshest bottle I could and grew those up in a starter to use. They give a nice, quick, complex funk in my experience, and age quite well. I wouldn't see a problem with pitching them along with the primary yeast. I'm a big fan of the "Firefly" (green label) and the Bam Biere. Find the youngest bottle you can and use those. Should give a nice complexity you just can't get from the Wyeast alone.

Sheldon: If its a brew day, its a good day

raptorvan: it makes the beer so silky smooth its like drinking a glass of giggling angels.

Old 02-08-2013, 12:23 PM   #64
Zippox
Recipes 

I ended up using Cuvee Rene - the local liquor store just got a brand new case in the other day so it's about as young of a bottle as I am going to get here in MN. I was expecting more sourness from the first sip but after letting it sit in the glass and giving my mouth a chance to get used to it, I really enjoyed it and it seemed to become more sour. Personally it was too carbonated for me to be able to drink it right away so letting it sit for 30 minutes in a wider-mouthed glass brought it to a perfect level of carbonation. Brewing went well, with just a minor boil over. Hope in 30 days when I transfer it to the carboy I see some nice pellicle!

Old 02-08-2013, 05:12 PM   #65
cdubbaya
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippox View Post
I ended up using Cuvee Rene - the local liquor store just got a brand new case in the other day so it's about as young of a bottle as I am going to get here in MN. I was expecting more sourness from the first sip but after letting it sit in the glass and giving my mouth a chance to get used to it, I really enjoyed it and it seemed to become more sour. Personally it was too carbonated for me to be able to drink it right away so letting it sit for 30 minutes in a wider-mouthed glass brought it to a perfect level of carbonation. Brewing went well, with just a minor boil over. Hope in 30 days when I transfer it to the carboy I see some nice pellicle!
If you don't mind me asking, which MGM was that? It looked like Prior Lake, but I see La Roja on the shelf.

Honey Double IPA

Old 02-08-2013, 05:56 PM   #66
Zippox
Recipes 

Haha yeah that is the MGM in prior lake. You live in PL? (I'm using the HBT app so I don't see locations).

Old 02-08-2013, 06:06 PM   #67
Zippox
Recipes 

Say Amanda, you mentioned you bottled at 1.5 volumes CO2 and that seems to have worked out pretty well for you. Is there some simple conversion I can do to find out how much priming sugar I would need to give my bottles a similar carbonation level?

And would anyone be able to venture a guess what 'volumes' or priming sugar equivalent would have to be put in to get the same carbonation level that Cuvee Rene had? I'm trying to get a feel for what CO2 volumes feel like to know I will be happy at bottle time.

Old 02-09-2013, 12:20 AM   #68
urbanmyth
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 60

http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html

Sheldon: If its a brew day, its a good day

raptorvan: it makes the beer so silky smooth its like drinking a glass of giggling angels.

Old 02-10-2013, 04:57 AM   #69
ColoBrewer420
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

I brewed 10 gallons off this and just did a rack to secondary after 5 weeks. Took a sample and it tasted good like a farm house but was not really "sour". I used wyeast roselare. Will the sour strengthen with age? I hope so, I plan on racking some on to peaches in about 6 months. If any has an opinion let me know. I've been brewing for a bit but this is my first sour/lambic. Either way it should be a good beer with some age.

Old 02-10-2013, 03:30 PM   #70
Zippox
Recipes 

I have read numerous times that people say roselare young does not give the strong sourness that the lambic blend gives. But most people say that with age the sourness will come through.

Quick Reply