Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Sour Ale > Extract - Lambic (BOS, 3rd BOS and Two Golds)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2013, 01:41 AM   #51
AmandaK
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubbaya View Post
I'm wondering, could you explain your fermentation process a bit? Does it stay at 65F the entire secondary as well? Do you pitch yeast dregs over time, or all at once in primary?

I apologize if this has been asked, I read the entire thread, but I'm on my cell phone so I skimmed a couple comments.
It's been asked several times in PM, but I'll post it here so others can see as well.

Fermentation starts in my parent's kitchen (everything is done at my parent's house because I move A LOT) at around 70* in the dog food container. After a month, it gets split into two 5 gallon carboys and put in the basement under the stairs near the center of their home - temperature is a constant 62* there. Aging temp is not an exact science, but higher temps tend to push the souring along faster (but at the expense of complexity).

The dregs went in when I transferred to the secondary, but pitching them earlier would work too.
Souring: #32 Lambic 2.0, #49 Lambic 3.0, #60 3763 Flanders Brown, #61 WLP665 Flanders Brown
Conditioning: #38 Golden Sour, #58 Hooch Cider, #79 Dopplebock, #84 Amy Cider
Drinkin': #16 Lambic 1.0 (Drunk Monk BOS), #84 Fall Cider

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 02:14 AM   #52
cdubbaya
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Thanks for the info, I'm just getting an idea if I can ferment this at my place for that long. I will be doing a 5 gallon batch in a plastic bucket, then transferred to a 6 gallon carboy. Hoping to create a pipeline between the buckets and carboys I have.

We don't get a lot of the better sours here in MN, so I'm thinking of pitching dregs from a couple flanders reds, lambics, and american sours. I know it won't be a true lambic, but I'm hoping for a nice blend of bugs!

Do you have plans to age any of your batches on fruit?

Honey Double IPA

Old 01-07-2013, 12:03 PM   #53
AmandaK
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubbaya View Post
Do you have plans to age any of your batches on fruit?
Funny you ask, I just transferred 3 gallons of the 2012 onto 6 lbs of tart cherries after blending 2 gallons of it into a gueuze. Time will tell if it was a good idea or not.
Souring: #32 Lambic 2.0, #49 Lambic 3.0, #60 3763 Flanders Brown, #61 WLP665 Flanders Brown

Old 01-07-2013, 02:57 PM   #54
Darwin18
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 656 Times on 473 Posts
Likes Given: 385

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaK View Post
I would not make a starter for the sour mixes from Wyeast. In fact, I pitch one smack pack of Lambic Blend into 10 gallons and that seems to work for me.

One important note though, WY3763 is a great yeast, but it will not make a lambic. WY3728 is the only yeast from Wyeast that makes a good lambic. 3763 is more sour, cherry pie and fruitiness (think New Belgium's sours). 3728 is more funky, a softer sourness and overall more 'lambic-like' (think Cantillon/Boon).
Thanks Amandak! I'll have to reconsider my yeast choice. I was going to go with Roeselare but I may need to consider WY3728. Appreciate your help!

Old 01-24-2013, 11:44 PM   #55
Rivenin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 165 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 88

i don't have a lambic blend, but i have a lacto and pedio from wyeast, would i just make 3-5 gallons of this and dump both in? any suggestions?

Kegged Oktoberfest - Schwarzbier - Pale Mild
Coming up Cream ale - Bitter - Nelson Sauvin honey Blonde - Porter

Electric 120v Brutus 20

Quote:
Homebrewers are like drunk Rembrandt's... Painting the world with liquid love
Quote:
If you're getting into this hobby to save money... you have a great sense of humor

Old 01-25-2013, 02:24 PM   #56
AmandaK
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivenin View Post
i don't have a lambic blend, but i have a lacto and pedio from wyeast, would i just make 3-5 gallons of this and dump both in? any suggestions?
Lambic blend is a blend of sacc, brett, lacto & pedio. If anything, get some commercial lambics and dump the dregs in to get the rest of the species of yeast you're missing.

As a side note, I don't have personal experience doing this, but logic tells me it may work. So... YMMV.

Old 01-30-2013, 06:34 PM   #57
Tarheel4985
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

This seems like a dumb question, but I didn't see it answered anywhere else. Would converting this to All Grain affect the lambic fermentation at all? I assume because of the fermentability of extract there would be variations but wasn't sure if there would be other considerations in brewing this one all grain.

• Secondary 2:
  • Bottled:
  • Kegged 1: American Amber
  • Kegged 2: Arrogant Bastard Clone
  • Kegged 3: Apfelwein
  • Kegged 4: Coffee Porter

Old 01-30-2013, 10:14 PM   #58
bellmtbbq
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel4985
This seems like a dumb question, but I didn't see it answered anywhere else. Would converting this to All Grain affect the lambic fermentation at all? I assume because of the fermentability of extract there would be variations but wasn't sure if there would be other considerations in brewing this one all grain.
You can make great lambics with extract but I think it's much easier to awesome lambics all grain. If you don't feel like doing a traditional turbid mash, mash high at 157-158 F and sparge with 175-185 F water. You wanna make tons of complex sugars and tannins for the Brett to work on. Tons of lambic recipes online... Check out themadfermentationist's lambic posts. Do 7-7.5 pounds of pilsner, 3-4 lbs of raw unmalted wheat, or flaked wheat. Skip the malodextrin

Don't just pitch 3278 Lambic blend. I like 3763 more, but pitch dregs, other cultures, or just ECY. It'll make a better lambic. And remember to age it for at least a year, especially all grain

Check out my blog! Lambic brewday!

Fathom Brewing

-TF

Old 01-31-2013, 05:34 PM   #59
Zippox
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I vacuum sealed my giant one pound bag of aged hops into 2 oz bags. I realize its a little counter productive to vacuum seal stale hops but humor me here. The hops were from freshhops.com. They sure smelled cheesy!

image-450271574.jpg   image-2103218006.jpg  

Old 02-01-2013, 04:19 PM   #60
AmandaK
Recipes 

I should post a picture of my old hops. It's just a plastic air tight container from the Container Store, stored on a shelf at room temp that says 'Old Ass Hops'. Haha.

Quick Reply