Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Sour Ale > Extract - Lambic (BOS, 3rd BOS and Two Golds)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2013, 03:48 PM   #151
Brewing_on_the_Internet
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Congratulations on the medals.

Old 11-23-2013, 03:39 PM   #152
MrMista
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

This sounds pretty great. I want to give it a shot. How much bottle dregs would I need? At the time of initial fermentation would dregs from say 2 beers be enough? How many bottles should I add when I transfer over to my 5 gal carboy after a month or so?

Thanks a lot!

Also, I suppose I should dedicate a bucket to sour brewing as I don't want cross contamination. Have any of you used the same equipment and seen issues?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2013, 07:56 PM   #153
Zippox
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMista View Post
This sounds pretty great. I want to give it a shot. How much bottle dregs would I need? At the time of initial fermentation would dregs from say 2 beers be enough? How many bottles should I add when I transfer over to my 5 gal carboy after a month or so?

Thanks a lot!

Also, I suppose I should dedicate a bucket to sour brewing as I don't want cross contamination. Have any of you used the same equipment and seen issues?

2 or 3 beers would be the right amount. For sours you want to underpitch so don't make a yeast starter. You get better flavors for sours when the yeast works hard to get going.

I personally did one wyeast lambic smack-pack with the dregs of Lindeman's Cuvee Rene.

When you transfer, it isn't crucial to add more dregs. I would say only add more dregs if it is ones from a different sour beer. It would add to the complexity.

If you are using a plastic bucket then yes you will not want to make a normal beer in that ever again. Buckets are like 10 bucks so don't risk using it for anything but sours.

Old 11-23-2013, 09:03 PM   #154
Matteo57
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Will give this a shot sometime! Sounds delicious!

Old 11-23-2013, 11:12 PM   #155
zachssoojdm
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Jeeze, just went out and bought the materials for this one... haha

Old 12-07-2013, 12:02 PM   #156
Brewing_on_the_Internet
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I made a six gallon batch yesterday. Exactly the same as the last 10 gallon batch I made but with Bug country.
Pitched 1/5 of the vial and fermentation was very active by evening. Used the rest to make starters.

Old 12-23-2013, 01:31 PM   #157
stompbox
Served up in the backyard
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

1. Has anyone done this All Grain? Is AG not recommended for Lambics?

2. Is 10 gallons the starting volume or the ending volume of boil?

3. Never did a sour before, how do you rack from the secondary and not transfer the mess on top?

Old 12-23-2013, 06:40 PM   #158
Zippox
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stompbox View Post
1. Has anyone done this All Grain? Is AG not recommended for Lambics?

2. Is 10 gallons the starting volume or the ending volume of boil?

3. Never did a sour before, how do you rack from the secondary and not transfer the mess on top?
1. There are all grain Lambic recipes in the recipes section on the site. This one happens to be extract.

2. For extract recipes if you can make it a full boil then that's good, but it's just fine to boil as much as you can then top up to 10 gallons when you put it into your buckets/carbons. I for example boiled 3 gallons then topped up to 5 gallons in the bucket. I did this twice to get 10 gallons in the end.

3. If your Lambic does end up getting a good layer on the top, all you need to do is poke your racking cane through the layer and rack from underneath it.

Old 12-23-2013, 06:54 PM   #159
Zippox
Recipes 

In reply to stopbox just two posts ago. Here is someone who has done what they believe to be the closest all-grain alternative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PintoBean View Post
Yeah, geez guys. Drunk Monk is a HUGE competition, I scored a 40 on an American Wheat this year and didn't even place! Over 850 entries in the competiton. I'd say the OP's beer is probably pretty darn tasty based on the consistency of her awards (even if she is a cards fan; go cubs!).

On a side note, I brewed up something inspired by the OP's recipe yesterday. Did all-grain, 30% Wheat, 70% 2-Row (would have used pilsner but won a sack of 2-row at a competition 2 weeks ago and it was pre-milled so want to use it up quick). Put 2lbs of maltodextrin in the boil for the bugs to chew on. I pitched ECY01 Bug Farm. I made 15 gallons. I also did a mini-mash on the side with flaked maize, munich, special b, aromatic, flaked wheat, and a little acidulated and blended with 5 gallons of the lambic base to get a Flanders Red. Pitched ECY02 Flemish Ale in that one. Flanders is on the left, lambics are on the right. These were my gravity samples I pulled before I closed up my buckets.

Attachment 112923

Old 01-27-2014, 12:18 AM   #160
TriggerFingers
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Just brewed this today--my first ever sour in nearly 40 batches. Only exceptions are I used 1/2oz 2 year old EKG pellets (10 IBU's) and pitched a vial of ECY01 Bugfarm. O.G. spot on at 1.044. Going to do 1 month in a better bottle, then another 11+ months in glass. Thanks again for such a great recipe! I have a vial of ECY20 that I may use for a similar beer once I rack this one...

Now? The waiting game...

Quick Reply