Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Sour Ale > Extract - Lambic (BOS, 3rd BOS and Two Golds)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2013, 07:17 PM   #101
Zippox
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 13

This stuff foams up so much during the hot break.

img_0531.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2013, 08:36 PM   #102
Piratwolf
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellmtbbq
deleted post.
I find this a rather odd attempt at a"wrap up", given that the OP has asserted none of those things. What she HAS done is provide detailed information on her own process which created award winning beers. EDIT: Brewitt is right. My bad for getting negative.

To the OP, thanks for posting this. My wife & I have gotten interested in sours in the last few months, and I appreciate the information on a reasonably simple entry into this highly complex world of beers.

jmendez29: Haha! I get it! :ban:
Wait. You're not talking about beer, right?
You're talking about beer. That could have been a whole lot more fun.

Old 03-25-2013, 01:28 AM   #103
Brewitt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 9

This thread is looking like it should be moved to the debate forum.

Play nice folks.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:20 PM   #104
PintoBean
Hailstorm Brewing Co
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yeah, geez guys. Drunk Monk is a HUGE competition, I scored a 40 on an American Wheat this year and didn't even place! Over 850 entries in the competiton. I'd say the OP's beer is probably pretty darn tasty based on the consistency of her awards (even if she is a cards fan; go cubs!).

On a side note, I brewed up something inspired by the OP's recipe yesterday. Did all-grain, 30% Wheat, 70% 2-Row (would have used pilsner but won a sack of 2-row at a competition 2 weeks ago and it was pre-milled so want to use it up quick). Put 2lbs of maltodextrin in the boil for the bugs to chew on. I pitched ECY01 Bug Farm. I made 15 gallons. I also did a mini-mash on the side with flaked maize, munich, special b, aromatic, flaked wheat, and a little acidulated and blended with 5 gallons of the lambic base to get a Flanders Red. Pitched ECY02 Flemish Ale in that one. Flanders is on the left, lambics are on the right. These were my gravity samples I pulled before I closed up my buckets.

forumrunner_20130403_111953.png

Hailstorm Brewing Co
www.facebook.com/hailstormbrewingco

Pappers_ Likes This 
Old 04-03-2013, 05:45 PM   #105
mklawz
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I haven't checked on this thread in a while, but perhaps you saw my earlier post about taking 2nd BOS to Amanda's lambic at the Drunk Monk last year.

I can assure you that the judges, particularly on the Best of Show panel, know plenty about lambics. Yes, it won what is a lightly entered category, but then it went on to win BOS over some phenomenal beers - including my Scottish 70 (which also went to the mini-BOS in the Final Round of NHC), and she also beat an Eisbock which also cleaned up everywhere last year, including 2nd Place in the Final Round of Nationals.

Also, having taken 2nd BOS to the lambic, I inquired about it to the BOS judges afterwards (who happen to be friends of mine) and they all said it was a great beer (obviously!). the only thing that *may* detract (which is a silly thing anyway), is that when you're in the BOS like that and they are trying to figure out the order of the top remaining few which are all going to be excellent beers, often times they might consider "difficulty of brewing". Which could give the edge to a Lambic over my Scottish 70 in this case. But again, I'm not taking away anything from her Lambic. And the comment below is a bit foolish and certainly unnecessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGabe View Post
Not really a nice way to say this, but the OP'd beer's comp success may be indicative of the reluctance of people to enter excellent beers they have months or years invested in and that/or that most judges know nothing about Lambic. Not saying the OP didnt make a great extract Lambic, but it does make me wonder.

Old 04-03-2013, 06:38 PM   #106
mmonacel
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 4

That's it! Strip her of all her awards and send the remaining carboys to me for proper disposal.

Used this for my most recent lambic and pitched Bug Farm as well. Tastes great at 9 months and there's not even oak in it yet. I couldn't agree more that it's really a showcase for the bugs. Turbid mash may help but I'm very happy with how this turned out.

"Goin' downtown to the disco, gotta do it right away. Got a funky thing to get into, gonna blow my blues away!"

Old 04-03-2013, 09:09 PM   #107
PintoBean
Hailstorm Brewing Co

Recipes 

Yeah, I think I think Amanda is on to something...KISS. Keep it simple Stupid! Basic grain bill, with lots of dregs will make a great and easy lambic.

Hailstorm Brewing Co

Old 04-03-2013, 09:15 PM   #108
PintoBean
Hailstorm Brewing Co

Recipes 

Also, I plan on leaving my beer in the primary for 4 months to let the Brett develop, and then rack off to secondary for an additional year, or until the proper sour character develops

Hailstorm Brewing Co

Old 04-04-2013, 04:55 AM   #109
Piratwolf
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 82

I ended up brewing the base beer today. I mashed 9# pils & 9# wheat at 154F. My intention was to KISS with extract, but at last minute LHBS prices that woulda cost me $65 for 12# of DME so instead I bought 2x50# sacks of grain for $95 and did a mash.

Used my march pump for the first time, and in the excitement forgot the 8oz of Malto-dextrine powder. Should I boil it in water, cool & add it to the ferment? Or does it not matter?

Doing initial ferment with US-05, then pitching WLP Sour Belgian I plus the dregs of DFM, Tilquin, and De Proef sours (can't get Cantillon, RR, or JP here). Any suggestions?

jmendez29: Haha! I get it! :ban:
Wait. You're not talking about beer, right?
You're talking about beer. That could have been a whole lot more fun.

Old 04-04-2013, 12:29 PM   #110
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1012 Times on 712 Posts
Likes Given: 2090

Amanda, congratulations on your award winning beer and thanks for posting this in the recipe database. Sharing top, proven recipes that have won awards is exactly what this database is for.

Everyone, please note that I deleted an overly sarcastic post - if you find yourself resorting to sarcasm, rethink whether you want to post or not.

My wife's book "Uncovering Lives: Discovering One Immigrant Generation's Secrets and Lives of Forgiveness, Grace and Healing"
People Like This 

Quick Reply