Casper the Gose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morkin

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
US -05
Yeast Starter
Lacto
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
None
Additional Fermentation
Bottle
Tasting Notes
Slight Lemon, Sour and floral nose, Sour, Salty, Lots of Corriander
Recipe: Casper the Gose
Brewer: Justin T. Alferman
Asst Brewer:
Style: Specialty Beer
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.25 gal
Boil Size: 6.28 gal
Estimated OG: 1.050 SG
Estimated Color: 3.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 0.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.00 lb Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 60.00 %
4.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 40.00 %
.75 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
21.00 gm Salt (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1 oz Hallertau hops (60 min)

As with my Berliner Weisse, after the boil, cool to about 100 degrees and pitch a homemade lacto starter. After 2 days, pitch yeast. Very simple and delicious.

Are you doing the base grain lacto starter or something else? Also, how do you feel about that 21 gram amount for salt addition? Would you do more or less or is this pretty much spot on?

I've never actually had a Gose commercial example. I've been told by a commercial micro that it needs more salt to be traditional. However, I feel as though that was the right ratio, and it was not too salty, but added a pleasant mix of sweet and salty. The salt is more of an afterthought that a pronounced salt. You know its there, but after you have taken a sip.

And yes, I make the lacto starter with a cup to cup ratio of water to grain of Pale 2 row. German or US, doesn't really matter as the wheat is the main grain for this beer.

Glad to see Gose on here! Sorry for all the questions coming up, but I love this style.

You mentioned 'cup to cup' ratio. Is that saying the starter is that size or is it just a 1:1 ratio? How long you let the starter go before brew day? What yeast are you pitching? Fermentation temp?

Glad to see Gose on here! Sorry for all the questions coming up, but I love this style.

You mentioned 'cup to cup' ratio. Is that saying the starter is that size or is it just a 1:1 ratio? How long you let the starter go before brew day? What yeast are you pitching? Fermentation temp?

I just noticed I never answered this!

I do a 1 Cup to 1 Cup ratio of grains to water. I usually create the lacto starter on a Wednesday for a Saturday Brew,so a good 3 days before a brewday make the starter.

Fermentation temp: cool the wort to about 100 and then pitch the lacto. Over 2 days, it should cool down to regular fermentation temperates, then pitch the yeast.

Just tried an actual GOSE from Germany. This recipe is somewhat close, but not accurate to the style. I would cut back on the salt to about 50% what I used. Some for the coriander as well, and only do a 24 hour lacto instead of 48, in order to sudbue the sourness.

So you just pitch the whole lacto starter, grains and all into the carboy, wait 2 days and then add the yeast and continue on with your normal fermentation schedule(in my case a 4-5 week primary, cold crash, keg)?

So you just pitch the whole lacto starter, grains and all into the carboy, wait 2 days and then add the yeast and continue on with your normal fermentation schedule(in my case a 4-5 week primary, cold crash, keg)?

You are correct.

Started my lacto starter yesterday and brewing this up tomorrow using 1056 instead of 05. I just happened to have all the ingredients laying around so why not :D

Quick question. Do I need to make sure I dont use the plastic carboy that I am using for this with regular beers, or will a good cleaning/soak take care of the lacto bugs? Same thing with the bottling equipment too.

Just tried an actual GOSE from Germany. This recipe is somewhat close, but not accurate to the style. I would cut back on the salt to about 50% what I used. Some for the coriander as well, and only do a 24 hour lacto instead of 48, in order to sudbue the sourness.

So, yours is saltier and more sour... Sounds like you've Americanized it! :)

So, yours is saltier and more sour... Sounds like you've Americanized it! :)

Haha good point. I just tried this last night and I thought the sour was very subtle. The salt was really prevalent on the first sip, but wasnt noticeable at the end so I think that is dead on, but again this was only a sample. Time will tell

I just noticed I never answered this!

I do a 1 Cup to 1 Cup ratio of grains to water. I usually create the lacto starter on a Wednesday for a Saturday Brew,so a good 3 days before a brewday make the starter.

Fermentation temp: cool the wort to about 100 and then pitch the lacto. Over 2 days, it should cool down to regular fermentation temperates, then pitch the yeast.

You are correct.

at what temp would you leave your starter? more of a standard room temp (~70), or warmer...80 or 90? Also, I'm assuming you'd want to leave your starter covered, and don't move it around to keep out oxygen?

Thanks!

The warmer the better. I leave mine at room temp, but if you can maintain 80-90 it will produce more lacto.

Did you aerate before you pitched your yeast and after the Lacto had started off?

Quick question. Do I need to make sure I dont use the plastic carboy that I am using for this with regular beers, or will a good cleaning/soak take care of the lacto bugs? Same thing with the bottling equipment too.

You should be fine. With most gose and berliner weiss the lacto takes place in the kettle before boiling. Lacto can't live in temperatures of 120f and higher. So if you kettle sour than boil the the wort like nornal it kills the lacto and its just a good clean beer from their and can be fermented in the same carboys.

Hey, thanks a lot for the recipe!
I tried it and it came out really well, I didn´t leave it to wildly ferment tho, but actually did a sour mash and then boiled and picthed yeast. I left it sit for a while, I moved out from my previous apartment to a new one and I guess the beer got stressed out, while still in secondary. A white film formed on top of the beer... I tried it and eventhough the taste is still kinda good, it has some heavy diacetyl... Have you experimented something similar? Could it be due to heavy changes in temperature?
Cheers!
Andres

Can you tell me a little more on making the lacto starter? Crushed grains or whole. Just mix grains and water at room temp (1cup each) and let sit at room temp?

I'd do non crushed acidulated malt grain try and keep the temp between 100f to 115f lacto thrives best in those temps. Try and keep at temp for 18 to 24 hrs. Will smell pretty rank after a good few hrs. That's what you want. If you have a p.h. meter I always aim for 3.2 p.h level.

Thanks! Any idea how to keep at that temp? Maybe put inside of a cooler with a light bulb?

Cooler is always good. What I've done in the past was biab method and do more of a sour wort. And leave it in my brew kettle with the lid on. Holds temp pretty good or well enough to get the job done. I'd wrap the top of the kettle with seran wrap to try and help keep bad bacteria away. As for keeping a consistent temp. I've just left it on my stove and every 6 to 8 hrs I check temp and heated up on my stove on low to try and help keep in desired temp. If you do it in a cooler I'd just take some out heat up on stove/microwave add back into cooler to help raise temp if needed.

Back