Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Sour Ale > All-Grain - Berliner Weiss

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2013, 08:09 PM   #21
Haputanlas
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aschecte View Post
Most lacto strains only produce Lactic acid and not alcohol though some commercial strains do..... the sacch or brett strain is what is actually creating the alcohol. I would think if you had to have a low ie.2% abv you may have to adjust the grain bill to reflect that though I could be wrong.... I'll punch it into beersmith both ways and report a bit later and my findings.
I don't have to have it at 2%. I just liked the idea of being able to have the lacto eat away the sugars in the second split of the batch without any alcohol.

Of course, a 3-4% beer is so damn sessionable anyways. I don't know why I'd care that much either way.

"There is no strong beer, only weak men"
"Pretty women make us BUY beer, ugly women make us DRINK beer" - Al Bundy
"Give a man a beer, he'll drink for a day. Teach a man to brew, he'll be drunk for the rest of his life."

Primary: Viking Metal, Berliner Weisse
Kegged: Oaked English Mild, Modus Hoperandi
Bottled: None
Notable Empties: Oaked Black IIPA, BBK I, Red IIPA, Burning Bush, Apophis "The Destroyer", Vanilla Porter
On-Deck: Hobbit Ale, The Titan BW, Ale of Olympus

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2013, 09:42 PM   #22
ballewblake
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
I like the recipe here and it looks pretty solid but I'm going to do this as a sour mash not two seperate batches.... I would reason that adding lacto is unnesasary as there is more than enough lactobacillus already on the husk of the grain so I would just split the grain bill by about a pound less than just leave at a high temp ( just like a regular mash ) and cover with foil for 1-2 days. reserve the lquid. 2 days later mash as normal than add back in the soured mash and drain off as normal ..... I like the 180 pasteruize idea than go to one carboy and only add the brett strain as the lactic acid was adequatly produced during the sour mash. sorry just thinking out loud.
Would the pasteurization even be necessary? Like, If I just drained the wort right off, chilled down to 90, and pitched two packs of 3191-pc, maybe with a hand full of grain? Seems like it would work the same. Put my heat belt on it and let it blow off. Also, would a higher mash temp be better, like 156, for the brett to chew on? I wouldn't want it too thin.

Old 04-19-2013, 04:25 AM   #23
Aschecte
Brewtus Maximus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballewblake View Post
Would the pasteurization even be necessary? Like, If I just drained the wort right off, chilled down to 90, and pitched two packs of 3191-pc, maybe with a hand full of grain? Seems like it would work the same. Put my heat belt on it and let it blow off. Also, would a higher mash temp be better, like 156, for the brett to chew on? I wouldn't want it too thin.
As to the OP saying about heating to 180 I believe his intent was to keep it as traditional as possible as Berliner weisse traditionally is a no boil beer but by going to 180 for 15 minutes or so you are pastureizing the wort and killing off any enteric bacteria that may be lingering as well as killing off the lactobacillus. As far as mashing higher sure you can but remember that brett will eat almost everything including all those dextrins produced at higher mash temperatures. the beer will thin out regardless over time it's just what brett does. Also just a fyi the more dextrins the longer you will need to wait to get into the bottle plan on 8 months plus to just get to a stable FG and even then be carefull brett is the mother of all yeasts when it comes to feeding of residual sugars.
Secondary-Burley whiner American barleywine
Primary-A dark German lager or a Hoppy Munich Helles

Old 06-04-2013, 03:22 AM   #24
Steve271828
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

So I brewed this on April 27th. I'm now almost two weeks into the secondary phase of the brew and I just pulled a sample. Gravity reading was 1.030. Unfortunately I forgot to take an OG reading, but there's a funky smell and a slightly sour taste so I assume that some progress has been made. My LHBS didn't have any Lacto strains so I pitched a handful of grain into the lacto sub-batch. Based on the timeline posted here, I was expecting it to be farther along. Did I mess something up? I'll probably pull another sample in a month or two and hope that the gravity has dropped more. Will heating the fermenter maybe help attenuation?

Old 06-04-2013, 03:51 PM   #25
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 312 Times on 310 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve271828 View Post
So I brewed this on April 27th. I'm now almost two weeks into the secondary phase of the brew and I just pulled a sample. Gravity reading was 1.030. Unfortunately I forgot to take an OG reading, but there's a funky smell and a slightly sour taste so I assume that some progress has been made. My LHBS didn't have any Lacto strains so I pitched a handful of grain into the lacto sub-batch. Based on the timeline posted here, I was expecting it to be farther along. Did I mess something up? I'll probably pull another sample in a month or two and hope that the gravity has dropped more. Will heating the fermenter maybe help attenuation?
1.030? do you mean 1.003? I would think 1.030 is close to your OG.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:33 PM   #26
Steve271828
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

Yep, 1.030. The sample tasted very sweet. Should I pitch more Brett or something? Maybe a regular yeast? Wait it out?

Old 06-05-2013, 01:24 AM   #27
Hanso
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

Lactobacillus on its own will contribute sourness but will not chew through a lot of sugar the way yeast does. It's actually a decent strategy to build up your sourness base first without yeast as you are doing, waiting for it to reach appropriate sourness. Yes, heating as high as 110F can speed that process along. the low ph will help protect it from bad infections.
When it is ready pitch whatever yeast you want, usually some combo of clean fermenting yeast and Brett. Then that will do the job of dropping the gravity and producing the alcohol. After that it can age in bulk or bottle condition. If you're going to bottle condition with Brett be careful not to over prime.

Old 06-05-2013, 02:32 AM   #28
Hanso
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

My mistake. I forgot the original recipe of this thread... As a split batch. Yes, as a split batch of you have combined them back again 2 weeks ago, and you are still reading 1.030, that is strange. The lacto batch should have gotten its sugar consumed by now. I'd worry your Brett is in shock or not viable. Your hunch of pitching new Brett is probably good. Also clean feementing yeast will not hurt it although not true to this threads recipe.

Old 06-05-2013, 02:51 AM   #29
Steve271828
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks, I appreciate the response. The Brett sub-batch was really slow to start so that may indeed be the case. I will have to make another trip to my LHBS.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:30 AM   #30
Haputanlas
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
I like the recipe here and it looks pretty solid but I'm going to do this as a sour mash not two seperate batches.... I would reason that adding lacto is unnesasary as there is more than enough lactobacillus already on the husk of the grain so I would just split the grain bill by about a pound less than just leave at a high temp ( just like a regular mash ) and cover with foil for 1-2 days. reserve the lquid. 2 days later mash as normal than add back in the soured mash and drain off as normal ..... I like the 180 pasteruize idea than go to one carboy and only add the brett strain as the lactic acid was adequatly produced during the sour mash. sorry just thinking out loud.
How did the sour mash version turn out for you? I'm going to be brewing with a sour mash in the next week and am eager to hear how yours turned out.

"There is no strong beer, only weak men"
"Pretty women make us BUY beer, ugly women make us DRINK beer" - Al Bundy
"Give a man a beer, he'll drink for a day. Teach a man to brew, he'll be drunk for the rest of his life."

Primary: Viking Metal, Berliner Weisse
Kegged: Oaked English Mild, Modus Hoperandi
Bottled: None
Notable Empties: Oaked Black IIPA, BBK I, Red IIPA, Burning Bush, Apophis "The Destroyer", Vanilla Porter
On-Deck: Hobbit Ale, The Titan BW, Ale of Olympus

Quick Reply