Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Sour Ale > All-Grain - Berliner Weiss

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2012, 08:50 PM   #11
Haputanlas
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saccharomyces

I like my berliner pretty tart, so I add 1 Tablespoon of 88% lactic acid to each keg for a little extra kick. Don't go overboard on the lactic, or it will taste artificial.
If you just left the beer with the lacto a little bit longer (maybe a few more months), do you think as much lactic acid would be produced so that this addition wouldn't be necessary?

"There is no strong beer, only weak men"
"Pretty women make us BUY beer, ugly women make us DRINK beer" - Al Bundy
"Give a man a beer, he'll drink for a day. Teach a man to brew, he'll be drunk for the rest of his life."

Primary: Viking Metal, Berliner Weisse
Kegged: Oaked English Mild, Modus Hoperandi
Bottled: None
Notable Empties: Oaked Black IIPA, BBK I, Red IIPA, Burning Bush, Apophis "The Destroyer", Vanilla Porter
On-Deck: Hobbit Ale, The Titan BW, Ale of Olympus

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 09:08 PM   #12
pgrebus
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 34

This should indeed be a low ABV beer, and carbonated higher than an ale - it is the original champagne of beers.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:25 PM   #13
mattd2
Recipes 

Liked 242 Times on 198 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haputanlas View Post
If you just left the beer with the lacto a little bit longer (maybe a few more months), do you think as much lactic acid would be produced so that this addition wouldn't be necessary?
Again never done any sours so take this with a grain of salt
I would expect that the lactic content of this recipe would be more due to the ratio of bug wort to yeast wort. I reason that all the sugar should be eaten reasonably quickly by the lacto and so extended time would not produce anymore sourness, by upping the ration of sour:not you would get more sourness (but less alcohol)
I guess you could then up the OG to conteract this but now I am messing too much with things I do not know...

Old 11-20-2012, 02:56 PM   #14
pgrebus
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 34

To get a strong lacto yeast strain without adding yeast, you would need to do an extended mash with un-milled grains. The lacto is naturally occurring.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:45 PM   #15
Tomcat0304
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 6

So the recipe is for a 10 gallon batch? I will have to bottle if I do this, how much carbonation can a glass bottle take?

Old 02-23-2013, 04:39 PM   #16
Double_D
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 76

A regular glass bottle can only take in the neighborhood of 2.5 volumes of Co2. Anything else and you'd need to go to a thicker belgian type bottle. And a different capper. Some of the german weizens have an appropriate range up to 5 volumes.

Old 02-23-2013, 04:47 PM   #17
Double_D
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgrebus View Post
To get a strong lacto yeast strain without adding yeast, you would need to do an extended mash with un-milled grains. The lacto is naturally occurring.
I like to take 30% of my grist and start a couple days early. I mash in a small cooler then throw a handful of raw grain in after it has cooled to the mid 90s. I maintain the mash temp with hot water infusions over a couple days. (There's another thread on here that details using a crock pot too. One thing I'm wanting to try is a submersible aquarium heater.) Then on brew day I'll add the sour mash to the sparge and give it a 15 minute boil with a small amount of noble hops. It's quick and clean. That way I don't need a sour keg and tap. And I don't have to bottle 10 gallons.

Old 03-07-2013, 03:06 PM   #18
Aschecte
Brewtus Maximus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I like the recipe here and it looks pretty solid but I'm going to do this as a sour mash not two seperate batches.... I would reason that adding lacto is unnesasary as there is more than enough lactobacillus already on the husk of the grain so I would just split the grain bill by about a pound less than just leave at a high temp ( just like a regular mash ) and cover with foil for 1-2 days. reserve the lquid. 2 days later mash as normal than add back in the soured mash and drain off as normal ..... I like the 180 pasteruize idea than go to one carboy and only add the brett strain as the lactic acid was adequatly produced during the sour mash. sorry just thinking out loud.

Secondary-Burley whiner American barleywine
Primary-A dark German lager or a Hoppy Munich Helles

Old 03-13-2013, 04:55 AM   #19
Haputanlas
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aschecte View Post
I like the recipe here and it looks pretty solid but I'm going to do this as a sour mash not two seperate batches.... I would reason that adding lacto is unnesasary as there is more than enough lactobacillus already on the husk of the grain so I would just split the grain bill by about a pound less than just leave at a high temp ( just like a regular mash ) and cover with foil for 1-2 days. reserve the lquid. 2 days later mash as normal than add back in the soured mash and drain off as normal ..... I like the 180 pasteruize idea than go to one carboy and only add the brett strain as the lactic acid was adequatly produced during the sour mash. sorry just thinking out loud.
I like the idea of the split batches for the reduction in alcohol. Since I would have no idea what strain of lacto is on the grain, do you know if this would still produce as much beer (With the lesser amount of alcohol)?

"There is no strong beer, only weak men"
"Pretty women make us BUY beer, ugly women make us DRINK beer" - Al Bundy
"Give a man a beer, he'll drink for a day. Teach a man to brew, he'll be drunk for the rest of his life."

Primary: Viking Metal, Berliner Weisse
Kegged: Oaked English Mild, Modus Hoperandi
Bottled: None
Notable Empties: Oaked Black IIPA, BBK I, Red IIPA, Burning Bush, Apophis "The Destroyer", Vanilla Porter
On-Deck: Hobbit Ale, The Titan BW, Ale of Olympus

Old 03-13-2013, 07:46 PM   #20
Aschecte
Brewtus Maximus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haputanlas View Post
I like the idea of the split batches for the reduction in alcohol. Since I would have no idea what strain of lacto is on the grain, do you know if this would still produce as much beer (With the lesser amount of alcohol)?
Most lacto strains only produce Lactic acid and not alcohol though some commercial strains do..... the sacch or brett strain is what is actually creating the alcohol. I would think if you had to have a low ie.2% abv you may have to adjust the grain bill to reflect that though I could be wrong.... I'll punch it into beersmith both ways and report a bit later and my findings.
Secondary-Burley whiner American barleywine
Primary-A dark German lager or a Hoppy Munich Helles

Quick Reply