Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Sour Ale > All-Grain - Alferman Imperial Berliner Weisse

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2013, 12:07 AM   #141
CBMbrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Can someone walk me through the process of culturing some lactobacillus? I will mill some grain and put it in a jar of warm water and let it sit for a while. My question is, how long do I let it sit and do I decant the liquid off of the grain to pitch into the wort?

Happiness is in the eye of the beer holder

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2013, 06:32 PM   #142
Wingfan13
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Just brewed this up and I cannot wait. Very little liquid came out of my lactic starter so I gave the bag I was straining with a little squeeze. I hope that isnt a big deal.

I have it sitting in the garage where it should be in the 90's but I have some questions.

1. When I am ready to pitch the yeast should I bring the wort inside for it to cool down a little ?

2. After 48 hours is that the time I taste it to see if it is sour enough ? then I wait longer for it to get more sour ?

Thanks

Old 06-27-2013, 04:17 PM   #143
Wingfan13
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

At 12 Hours there was already pelicle.

12hours.jpg  

Old 06-27-2013, 04:18 PM   #144
Wingfan13
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

18 hours this thing is going like crazy.

24-hours.jpg  

Old 07-03-2013, 10:57 PM   #145
Zippox
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 10

So the starter is literally water and crushed grains right? Just clarifying because other starters are usually water + DME + yeast.

All grains have lacto on them, but any in particular you recommend for adding to the starter?

Old 08-10-2013, 03:03 AM   #146
Kob
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

What a solid thread. I just read all ten pages (slow night at work) and will be making the lacto starter tomorrow. I'm assuming 3 days would be to soon from lacro starter to pitch? If so i'll just wait the week and brew next weekend.

I absolutely love sours and have a feeling once i take the challenge and brew one I'm gonna be drinking this year round.

Mike

Old 08-14-2013, 03:39 PM   #147
Kob
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

I brewed this yesterday. Made a slight variation since I mixed up the wheat and the 2-row and ended swapping the weights for these. Eh I'm ok with it.

For you guys asking about a Lacto starter, here's what I did. Bought a pound of German wheat and boiled about a quart or two of water. Enough to sterilize a few mason jars. took out the jars, filled half way with grain and most of the way to the top with the hot water. ~140 per my thermometer. covered with foil and set in the kitchen window sill for about 48 hours. Seemed like once it got going it was an exponential rate of growth. Formed a thin white film and smelled like "sour".

After I brewed I cooled to to about 120 and racked into primary. Wrapped with a heating pad and a seedling starter pad on each side then wrapped in a sleeping bag.

Went out today and found a nice little pellicle. I'll take a pic in a few here and post it up. It's been about 16 hours and I do have some airlock activity.

Old 08-14-2013, 10:42 PM   #148
emily47
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quick question about the lacto starter: I noticed only Kob mentioned sterilizing the jars before adding the grain/hot water. Are the jars meant to be sterilized or just clean and as-is?

Also, crushed grain or whole grain for the starter?

Thanks!!

Primary: Doppelbock (going to be an Eisbock!)
Secondary: "Ski Boots" Nut Brown Ale

Bottled: Black IPA

In the works: Witbier, Red Rye PA

Old 08-16-2013, 12:36 AM   #149
Kob
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

I used whole grain and sterilized cause I didn't want to have any off bugs.

Now its been about 48 hours and my pellicle is incredibly minimal present. Its been sitting in the garage with a heating blanket or two wrapped in a sleeping bag. Its around 100* now. Should i pitch the yeast once i cool it tomorrow or allow the pellicle to form? I guess i should taste it...

Old 09-12-2013, 11:51 PM   #150
Kob
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Hey guys i have a question regarding this recipe and style in general. I followed the recipe and had an OG of 1.056. Spent three days under a lacto pellicle, with a gravity reading of 1.036. After 8 weeks i now have an FG of 1.006.

Am i correct measuring the abv with the 1.036 and the fg? I have read a few conflicting bits of info about the lacto fermenting and producing alcohol.

Aside from this question the brew went great. I'll definitely be brewing more sour ales and pit a gallon on a few palisade peaches. Mmmmm

Quick Reply