Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Sour Ale > All-Grain - Alferman Imperial Berliner Weisse

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2012, 03:27 PM   #111
america
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennis2000000000
So do I wanna try and keep the starter at 130 for a week or let the temp Fall over a week and do I wanna keep the lacto inoculated wort at 100 for a few days till is add yeast at 70?
I'd try to keep the starter in the 120 - 130 range and then keep the lacto fermenting wort a bit cooler (110-120) for the first few (2-4) days and then lower the temp to brewers yeast temps. Just make sure you test it for sourness before you pitch the brewers yeast and you should be good to go.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2012, 07:43 PM   #112
ennis2000000000
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

How do you manage to keep these temps?

Old 08-20-2012, 08:29 PM   #113
america
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennis2000000000
How do you manage to keep these temps?
I bought a fermwrap heater and used that around my starter and carboy.

Old 08-24-2012, 05:25 PM   #114
ennis2000000000
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Starter is sitting at 100 I was able to get my fermentation cabinet up that high its been 2 day tastes like lemonade smells slight of acetone here is what it looks like

forumrunner_20120824_122331.jpg

Old 08-27-2012, 02:09 PM   #115
Morkin
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by america View Post
Just cracked my first couple of bottles of this and its quite sour but not on the back of your tongue like most sour/tart beers. Not sure if that's because its only sour from the lacto or what. Pretty refreshing, kind of lemony, ended up at 5.77% and I could guzzle these down on a hot day. Thanks for the great recipe, I think ill add some Cascade Sang Noir dregs to my next batch to see if that adds any complexity to the sourness.

EDIT: Didnt end up with ANY sort of head/head retention at all though. Not sure what could have caused that, but it it doesn't really bother me at all.
You shouldn't get good head retention out of this beer. This beer has such high levels of acidic acid that it should cut the head completely off by about halfway through drinking it.

Drinking - Germann Pumpkin Ale
Primary- Schwarzbier
Secondary - Nothing
Bottled - Gose, Eisbock
Kegged - Nothing
Next Batch -
Planning - Berliner Weisse

Old 08-27-2012, 04:58 PM   #116
Chub
Recipes 

My beer that smelled and tasted like sauerkraut juice after 6 weeks in the fermenter, no longer does after 3 months. It has become very tart and sour, very nice. I added a couple tablespoons of sour cherry syrup to a glass, and I swear it tastes a lot like New Glarus' Belgian Red. I'm gonna have to get another one going soon. Thanks again for the recipe.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:03 PM   #117
OCBrewin
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I am very excited to try this brew this weekend. I made my lacto starter during my lunch break today, except I put a little twist in it. 1/2 cup crushed Bries 2-row in ~3/4 cup 150f water that settled to about 140f in a minute or two. I cracked open a pack of greek yogurt that I was going to have for lunch and poured off about a tsp or so of the whey into the starter as well. Any harm in doing this?? I figured that if anything I would just get a few more bugs in there to help kick off the lacto ferment.

One other question I have is to boil, or not to boil.... I see that people do both. Being that this would be my first 'no boil' if I go that way, I am just a little apprehensive about other bacteria and nasties from my mash tun getting into the fermenter. I figure that if I boil for 10min or so I will kill off any of those guys. Obviously if it is unnecessary then I don't want to do it, since part of the appeal of this recipe is the quick brew day with only two vessels (HLT and MT).

Please let me know your thoughts on both of my questions above. Cheers

Old 10-30-2012, 06:07 AM   #118
OCBrewin

Recipes 

Ok, so the starter is nearing readiness. I think that I may step it up again by pouring the raw grain starter into a 1 liter dme flask starter. It smells pretty good. Fairly clean, but definitely some sour smell. Not sure if I'd say "garbage", but sour funk for sure. Tastes a few drops and it tastes sour and clean. Am I on the right track? I never heard back in the consense of a 'no-boil' vs a 'short-boil' (10 min)?

Old 10-31-2012, 01:36 PM   #119
3x3is9
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

I did a no boil.
I can't say yet if my batch has turned out, but it didn't get infected with anything that wasn't intentional.

I would think mine is ready to bottle, but the flavor is quite week and watery. I know carbonation will change the flavor somewhat, but I would think it would be more flavorful pre-carbonation anyway. What should I expect?
It's watery, light flavor, mild lacto sourness. I know I can age it further to get more sourness, but the watery light flavor is concerning to me.

Old 11-10-2012, 04:30 PM   #120
OCBrewin

Recipes 

Brewed this up yesterday. First bacteria inoculation, first no sparge, first no boil, first no chill. What an easy brew day.

Went for a more traditional gravity so I cut the grains and hops down a bit.

4.5# pale us 2-row
3.5# wheat malt
0.75 tettnanger

Protein rest at 118f for 20min. Sacc rest at 148-150f for 60min. Mash out at 165f with remainder of water. This was a very thin mash at that point. Drained without vorloufing into kettle and heated to 185f to pasturize, killed heat, covered and let free fall to 120f (about 4hrs).

Pitched homemade lacto starter (see above post) and within 12hrs this carboy is going nuts! Nice krausen, active airlock, and swirling wort. I am keeping it at temps, 100-110f, in a small sealed bathroom with a small space heater fan pointed at it about 12" away. It's actually holding temps quite well this way, since I don't have a way to heat my term chamber as of yet. Gonna give of the full 48hrs before pitching US-05.

Couple questions:
1. Should I add oxygen at Sacc pitch?
2. Will the time above 140f in the kettle cause DMS?
3. How long in primary after the US-05 is pitched until this might be ready to keg?

Quick Reply