Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Sour Ale > All-Grain - Alferman Imperial Berliner Weisse

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2012, 02:31 AM   #101
MaynardX
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

When you pitch the yeast, do you oxygenate the beer at all? I would assume the bacteria would use most of the oxygen needed for the yeast to start?

Bottle: Rochfort 10 Clone, Bourbon Oak Pumpkin Ale
Keg: Kolsh, Marzen, Saison, Belgian Strong Ale, Brewskie the Elder,Pomegranate Apfelwien, Rye Dortmunder Export, English Bitter

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2012, 02:43 AM   #102
CUBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Your gonna wanna pitch the yeast after 48 hours or so after the lacto is pitched. As far as aerating I'm pretty sure lacto doesn't like oxygen to much so hold off until you pitch the yeast then rock the fermenter for a bit to aerate for the yeast to use.

Old 07-31-2012, 10:23 PM   #103
PoconoParadiso
Recipes 

I gave this a shot on Sunday and pitched a homemade lacto starter at 100 per Morkin's intructions. At about 48 hours I am seeing no airlock activity and just a few bubbles on the surface of the wort. Should I be concerned? I did buy a Wyeast Lacto as well in case the homemade one didn't look so hot, but it looked and smelled as described here, so I pitched it. Should I consider pitching the Wyeast? or will that only muddy the waters?

Old 08-01-2012, 12:38 AM   #104
america
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

What temp is it currently fermenting at? Lacto likes to be at around 120° if you can keep it that hot. I had tons of airlock activity by the 24 hour and fermented the lacto at like 115. I'd probably give it a bit more time before pitching more. And just taste it before you pitch the brewers yeast. A buddy just made a normal Berliner and didn't wait to taste sourness before pitching the brewers yeast. We sampled it last night and its sitting at 1.009 but has no sourness at all. I think he's a little mad at himself for not waiting longer.

Old 08-01-2012, 03:42 AM   #105
PoconoParadiso
Recipes 

We are having cool nights here in the PA Mts, so it dropped from 100 to 85 overnight and was sitting at about 83 today despite being wrapped in blankets. I put it in a spare room and pumped the heat up in attempt to raise the temp. I'm gonna give it another day or two and hope it kicks in. Thanks for the advice!

Old 08-04-2012, 01:39 PM   #106
eviljay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Just bottled mine after 4 months. Extremely sour and I love it.

Old 08-04-2012, 02:21 PM   #107
PoconoParadiso
Recipes 

I got the temp up into the 90s and lo and behold there was airlock activity yesterday. Today it is chugging away and souring up nicely. I'm going to pitch the brewers yeast tonight. So glad to see her coming to life .... I thought she was DOA there for a bit. I'm going to rack this over cherries in the secondary, so I'll update how it turns out.

Old 08-06-2012, 02:31 PM   #108
3x3is9
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Thanks for this recipe. I'm going to be giving it a try next.
I have a few questions though.
1. I'm thinking of using one of the packaged Lactos rather than the homemade starter. It was on sale at the beer shop I go to. Do you think I would have better results if I created a starter with it and let it work away few a few days/week before adding to the brew?
2. I was thinking of using one of the more funky Belgian white beer yeasts. It would have more fruity flavors to it I'm assuming than what the recipe calls for. Anyone do this? Would this be a mistake for this style?
3. I noticed on some of the other Berliner wise recipes folks put there's in the garage to keep it warm. I'm assuming this is probably a good idea as long as you can keep the sun off of it correct?

I'm new to this forum, but am really excited about the knowledge and information here!

Old 08-07-2012, 06:27 PM   #109
america
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Just cracked my first couple of bottles of this and its quite sour but not on the back of your tongue like most sour/tart beers. Not sure if that's because its only sour from the lacto or what. Pretty refreshing, kind of lemony, ended up at 5.77% and I could guzzle these down on a hot day. Thanks for the great recipe, I think ill add some Cascade Sang Noir dregs to my next batch to see if that adds any complexity to the sourness.

EDIT: Didnt end up with ANY sort of head/head retention at all though. Not sure what could have caused that, but it it doesn't really bother me at all.

Old 08-19-2012, 12:53 PM   #110
ennis2000000000
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So do I wanna try and keep the starter at 130 for a week or let the temp Fall over a week and do I wanna keep the lacto inoculated wort at 100 for a few days till is add yeast at 70?

Quick Reply