Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Sour Ale > 100% Brett IPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2014, 05:04 PM   #1
nimboden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default 100% Brett IPA

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: WLP644 - Brett Trois
Yeast Starter: 2L
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter: 1L
Batch Size (Gallons): 11
Original Gravity: 16.8°
Final Gravity: 2.2°
IBU: 93 - according to beersmith
Boiling Time (Minutes): 80
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 days @ 68
Tasting Notes: See Below

Brewed a version of this based of Tonsmeire's recipe that was then made into Neverwhere by Modern Times in San Diego. Blew through the keg faster than any of my previous beers. upped it to an 11 gallon batch and change up the hops a bit because I don't have any centennial. The Mad Fermentationist is awesome, everything, the blog, book, recipes. So thanks for the inspiration for this.

60 min @ 154°
raise to 168 over flame an hold for 5 min

80 min boil

72.4% Great Western 2 Row
20.7% Briess Red Wheat
3.4% Acid Malt
3.4% Carapils

80g Magnum 12% @ 60 min
90g Cascade 8.8% @ 60 min

80g Chinook 13% @ 0 min
70g Citra 12% @ 0 min
80g Cascade 8.8% @ 0 min

Whirlpool for 15 min before chilling.

70g each Chinook,Citra,Cascade Dry hop for 5 days then cold cash after gravity stabilizes.

2 fresh tubes of WLP644 in a 2L started chilled and decanted and stepped up again with 1L of 10° wort.

Tasting notes from my last batch that had centennial instead of cascade were amazing. Super fruity hops, firm bitterness and a nice funk that played well with the juiciness of the hops.

Will update with tasting notes when this one is ready.

Gallons Brewed 2013: 165

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2014, 07:48 PM   #2
L0-FI
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Did you experience much of a lag time before seeing any activity?

I'm currently working on culturing some Brett B. & L. I have only used Brett for some secondary fermentation in a couple carboys, and have used some at bottling (champagne bottles, going for that orval character).

I am very interested to try a 100% Brett beer, but my starters were always slow to start (70deg) and sorta look like bottom fermenters. I did not put either on a stir plate, in hopes to limit acetic acid production.

Does this sound familiar? I know the bulk of the sugar was taken out by the primary strain used in the above examples, so I'm not expecting a fast rowdy fermentation...
but in a starter- the Brett is the only strain..

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Old 12-13-2014, 07:30 PM   #3
nimboden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by L0-FI View Post
Did you experience much of a lag time before seeing any activity?

I'm currently working on culturing some Brett B. & L. I have only used Brett for some secondary fermentation in a couple carboys, and have used some at bottling (champagne bottles, going for that orval character).

I am very interested to try a 100% Brett beer, but my starters were always slow to start (70deg) and sorta look like bottom fermenters. I did not put either on a stir plate, in hopes to limit acetic acid production.

Does this sound familiar? I know the bulk of the sugar was taken out by the primary strain used in the above examples, so I'm not expecting a fast rowdy fermentation...
but in a starter- the Brett is the only strain..

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I used a stir plate to prop my Brett cultures. While I've read that starters are not recommended because some bugs grow at different proportions I've never had any unwanted flavors using the white labs brett trois. I don't make starters for my other Sours where I know there is a mix of bugs.

With this strain they recommend a warmer fermentation 70-80, I believe, and I've had better and faster results on the higher side. This batch I fermented low around 65 and it was considerably slower about 4 weeks to hit terminal gravity vs the 2 weeks at warmer temps. Never had much Krausen produced on any batches. This is an awesome beer and would highly recommend it. Cheers

Gallons Brewed 2013: 165

Quick Reply