Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > All-Grain - West Coast Saison

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2013, 02:27 AM   #21
jkn09
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Awesome. Thanks. I'm looking at something like this:

.5 oz Pacific Jade @ 60
1 oz Pacific Jade @10
1 oz Motueka @ 10
1 oz Pacific Jade @ 0
1 oz Motueka @0

Dry hop for 7 days with 1 oz of each.

Worst case scenario, I end up with a "unique" beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2013, 02:28 PM   #22
rtb178
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkn09 View Post
Awesome. Thanks. I'm looking at something like this:

.5 oz Pacific Jade @ 60
1 oz Pacific Jade @10
1 oz Motueka @ 10
1 oz Pacific Jade @ 0
1 oz Motueka @0

Dry hop for 7 days with 1 oz of each.

Worst case scenario, I end up with a "unique" beer.
This, as well as the original recipe, look very interesting. To those who've tried this, to what extent is it similar to Tank 7? American hops, saison yeast, etc.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:53 PM   #23
heyblinkin
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkn09 View Post
And by the way, I'm fully aware that this takes away from the whole "American" pale ale schedule. I just like the idea.
I was using American pale ale schedule to describe the boil schedule (late hop additions), not nationality of hops used. I would bet NZ hops will be great in this beer, and really interesting with the saison yeast. Keep us posted.

I have never tried tank 7, but see it all the time. I'll have to grab a bottle the next the I'm shopping and let you know. They're probably very similar.

Old 05-10-2013, 03:14 PM   #24
jkn09
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ordered my ingredients for this yesterday. I'm planning on keeping the grain bill the same, but using Falconer's Flight and Sorachi Ace hops on the same schedule. I also decided to go with White Labs WLP 568 (Belgian Saison Blend) since it tolerates higher temps.

I'm looking forward to it as my first AG and I'll post results!

Old 05-10-2013, 11:18 PM   #25
rtb178
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyblinkin View Post
I have never tried tank 7, but see it all the time. I'll have to grab a bottle the next the I'm shopping and let you know. They're probably very similar.
Thanks. Yes, I agree, they are likely quite similar. Great beer, Tank 7.

Old 05-10-2013, 11:22 PM   #26
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2144 Times on 1453 Posts
Likes Given: 2107

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyblinkin View Post
I was using American pale ale schedule to describe the boil schedule (late hop additions), not nationality of hops used. I would bet NZ hops will be great in this beer, and really interesting with the saison yeast. Keep us posted.

FWIW Tank 7 is Magnum, Bravo, & Amarillo per the Boulevard website. Good beer, hope I get to try the Brett version when it is out again. Also, 4 packs run about the same $-wise as 750s on the Smokestack stuff.

Brew as I say, not as I brew.

Old 05-11-2013, 03:47 AM   #27
jkn09
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just had Tank 7 for the first time this week and was blown away. If I ever make a beer that good I'll be overjoyed.

Old 05-11-2013, 08:41 PM   #28
Klickmania
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkn09
I'm thinking of brewing this up as my first AG next weekend, but I'm thinking about using Motueka and Pacific Jade hops (because I like the spice and citrus they give).

Good idea? Terrible idea? Hop schedule?
I bet NZ hops would be awesome in this. I know Citra and Cascade were wonderful. Those tropical fruit flavors I'm sure will work out awesome.

P.S. This stuff really came together around 6-8 weeks in the bottles. Here's a picture of how mine turned out. I bet some brett or other wild yeast would be great to try as well. Might have to try that here soon.
image-406554468.jpg  
Old 05-11-2013, 08:47 PM   #29
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2144 Times on 1453 Posts
Likes Given: 2107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klickmania View Post
I bet NZ hops would be awesome in this. I know Citra and Cascade were wonderful. Those tropical fruit flavors I'm sure will work out awesome.

P.S. This stuff really came together around 6-8 weeks in the bottles. Here's a picture of how mine turned out. I bet some brett or other wild yeast would be great to try as well. Might have to try that here soon.
Good looking beer!

Brew as I say, not as I brew.

Old 06-01-2013, 04:56 PM   #30
jkn09
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So I brewed this up last weekend and got an OG of about 1.055 (my efficiency was low since it was my first BIAB, and I know what I did wrong).

I plugged it into brewtoad to see what my numbers should be and my FG should be 1.013. Well 6 days after brewing it's at 1.014! My question is this: when do I add the dry hop additions? I want to dry hop for 7 days, so should I add them now since I'm almost at FG?

Quick Reply