Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > All-Grain - West Coast Saison

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2013, 11:15 PM   #11
Klickmania
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Got the ingredients to brew a batch of this. Subbed out the two row for pilsner and used flaked wheat as well. Same yeast.

Hops look like this:

1/2 oz Simcoe 60 min
1 oz Citra 10 min
1 oz falconer's flight (3 c's) 10 min
1 oz Citra 0 min
1 oz Falconer's Flight (3 c's) 0 min

Dry hop after 3-4 week primary with 1 oz each of Citra and Falconer's Flight. Part of me wants to do a secondary with some dried grapefruit peel, but having never brewed this (much less a Saison) I think I'll save that for next time around. Hope to brew on Saturday.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2013, 04:24 PM   #12
Klickmania
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Got this fermenting away and it smells absolutely glorious!

Old 01-29-2013, 02:46 PM   #13
heyblinkin
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You're definitely going to get some American hop character. The recipe looks amazing. I will be brewing up some variations of this once my ambient fermentation temperature gets into the 70 s.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:56 PM   #14
Klickmania
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Thanks man! The closet I ferment in stays in the low seventies with the vent shut. I also usually use a swamp cooler to get everything down to the upper sixties but I have a SMaSH ale in there now and I wasn't gonna use it anyway. So I opened up the vent in there and wrapped my bucket in a few towels and its been fermenting around the upper seventies/low eighties. I cannot wait to try this!

Old 03-17-2013, 07:07 PM   #15
Klickmania
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Two weeks in bottles and its tasting pretty stinking good! Another week and it should be right where it needs to be. I might enter this into a competition this spring for ****s-n-giggles. Got some great mango/passion fruit flavors from the Citra and Cascade combo.

image-1055711287.jpg  

Old 03-19-2013, 02:36 AM   #16
heyblinkin
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I actually just drank my last bottle tonight. What type of yeast esters did you get in the seventies/low eighties, and what was your final gravity. I am looking at brewing this again this spring but am planning on changing a few things. I don't have a ton of experience with WY3711 and want to try and ferment higher, to get more esters, but don't want it to finish any lower than my first batch.

I just did a couple of beers with Citra and I like the idea of using it in this recipe. I wanted to try more saaz, but I think Citra and Saaz would be too strange a combo and I may try a 50/50 Citra/Cascade combo. Orange peels also were a thought.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:43 PM   #17
Klickmania
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

F.G. came in at 1.008. It dried out a little more than I was hoping, but it works pretty well I think. It is fairly estery, perhaps not as fruity as commercial examples but still good. It has a pretty musty flavor which I'm assuming is from the yeast profile and the fermentation temp. It's the first time I've used that strain and I do enjoy it.

Old 05-05-2013, 12:48 AM   #18
jkn09
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm thinking of brewing this up as my first AG next weekend, but I'm thinking about using Motueka and Pacific Jade hops (because I like the spice and citrus they give).

Good idea? Terrible idea? Hop schedule?

Old 05-05-2013, 01:14 AM   #19
jkn09
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

And by the way, I'm fully aware that this takes away from the whole "American" pale ale schedule. I just like the idea.

Old 05-05-2013, 02:02 AM   #20
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2173 Times on 1470 Posts
Likes Given: 2147

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkn09 View Post
And by the way, I'm fully aware that this takes away from the whole "American" pale ale schedule. I just like the idea.
Galaxy is Austalian, so I think you're ok with the NZ hops. Motueka and Pacific Jade will be great together in a saison. Both hops reflect their lineage predictably, NZ versions of Hallertau and Saaz, well suited to 'new school' saisons.

Why spend 5 minutes reading when you can just start another thread?

Quick Reply