Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > Extract - Trappist Christmas (2011 NHC Madison Regional: 1st Place)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2013, 07:05 AM   #31
virginblack
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Did a little research on the extracts to convert to AG, here is what I came up with (@ 85% efficiency)

9.25# Pilsen (or pale malt)
1.025# C 60L
0.684# Munich 10L
0.5# C 120L
0.25# Biscuit malt

0.75# Honey

I will brew the rest per the recipe.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2014, 09:48 PM   #32
MileHighBullfrog
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCapitan View Post
So I brewed this yesterday and everything went well, except I measured my OG at 1.056. Is this because I have not yet added the Belgian Candi Sugar yet? Or should I assume I messed something up? Other than that, everything went well and it is fermenting pretty vigorously.

Thanks for the input.
I entered this recipe into BeerSmith and the estimated OG is 1.066 for a partial mash, which is inclusive of the honey and candy sugar. I am going to brew this in the next week and will post results.

Old 08-24-2014, 05:26 PM   #33
Bono09
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Brewed this yesterday. Smells awesome. Not a lot of action going on right now in the carboy, blow off tube attached just incase. My question is with the bottling. I see it says to use dextrose and vanilla extract . Do you boil this just like you would with priming sugar? Let it cool and pitch into bottling bucket. Also do you boil the spices for the secondary to make sure they are sterile before adding.

Old 08-25-2014, 11:11 AM   #34
CastleHollow
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bono09 View Post
I see it says to use dextrose and vanilla extract . Do you boil this just like you would with priming sugar? Let it cool and pitch into bottling bucket. Also do you boil the spices for the secondary to make sure they are sterile before adding.
You can add the vanilla extract when you boil the dextrose/priming sugar, but I always just added it to the bucket.

For the secondary spices, I just considered them a dry hop and never bothered with sanitizing them. Instead of boiling, however, you might consider adding them to just a bit of vodka and then dumping the whole mixture in.

Old 08-25-2014, 02:51 PM   #35
Bono09
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastleHollow View Post
You can add the vanilla extract when you boil the dextrose/priming sugar, but I always just added it to the bucket.

For the secondary spices, I just considered them a dry hop and never bothered with sanitizing them. Instead of boiling, however, you might consider adding them to just a bit of vodka and then dumping the whole mixture in.
Awesome thank you so much. It's sitting downstairs right now fermenting. Not a ton of activity , I think thats because I didn't do a yeast starter because I didn't have my flask . I will be getting the candy ready and pitching it tomorrow.

Old 08-27-2014, 02:54 AM   #36
Bono09
Recipes 

Candy has been pitched and krausen is built up.

Old 08-27-2014, 05:15 PM   #37
carguy2833
Recipes 

Default how much of each malt extract

brand new at this
hoping to get this ready by Xmas
how much of each malt extract
thanks

Old 08-27-2014, 05:24 PM   #38
mdbrewer1
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy2833 View Post
brand new at this
hoping to get this ready by Xmas
how much of each malt extract
thanks
The original post has the information you seek. # = pound.

Primary - Empty
Secondary - Empty
Bottled - Andes Mint Chocolate Stout, None More Black Stout, Centennial Blonde, Oktoberfest, Pumptoberfest
Planned - Bell's Two Hearted Clone, Maple Pecan Porter
RIP - Caramel Amber Ale

Old 08-30-2014, 09:59 PM   #39
Bono09
Recipes 

Transferred my batch today to the secondary. Added in the spices before hand just like you would for dry hopping. Added about half a shot of vodka to the spices just to make sure anything on it was killed. It is smelling phenomenal. Nice cinnamon aroma right now. Will let it sit for another week before adding in the 1/2 of Saaz leaves. Very excited for this beer. I'm going to bottle and let it sit until Christmas day. Also I'm going to hide 3 bottles in my cellar until next year. I'll have to make sure it's a good spot so my brothers don't nab them.

Old 09-04-2014, 10:13 PM   #40
carguy2833
Recipes 

Default thanks i

got that thanks
as far as carb other post answered that as well

Quick Reply