Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > Extract - Trappist Christmas (2011 NHC Madison Regional: 1st Place)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2012, 02:19 AM   #21
ElCapitan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

So I brewed this yesterday and everything went well, except I measured my OG at 1.056. Is this because I have not yet added the Belgian Candi Sugar yet? Or should I assume I messed something up? Other than that, everything went well and it is fermenting pretty vigorously.

Thanks for the input.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2012, 03:24 AM   #22
djelemenohpee
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCapitan View Post
So I brewed this yesterday and everything went well, except I measured my OG at 1.056. Is this because I have not yet added the Belgian Candi Sugar yet? Or should I assume I messed something up? Other than that, everything went well and it is fermenting pretty vigorously.

Thanks for the input.
Hmmmm....... im pretty new to brewing (this is my second batch of beer) i brewed last friday and my SG was 1.072. are you sure you used enough DME and LME? i ended up using 4lbs of Light/Pale LME and 4lbs of Amber DME (because my LHS didnt have Amber LME).

hope this helps

Old 08-17-2012, 03:05 AM   #23
ElCapitan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I used the proper amount of DME, but instead of 4lbs and 3lbs of LME respectively, I used 3.3 of each because that is what my brew store sells them in. I find it hard to believe that a difference of .4 lbs can account for that much of a difference. Maybe part way, then other things like boiling over and an inefficient steep (can those be inefficient?) make up the rest.

In the end, I'm not worried. I'll still make beer, but it would be nice to know why and learn from it.

Last edited by ElCapitan; 08-17-2012 at 03:13 PM. Reason: clarification

Old 09-03-2012, 11:58 PM   #24
djelemenohpee
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 2 Posts

do you just add the 3.5oz of dextrose and the vanilla to the bottling bucket then rack into it or do you have to boil water and the dextrose first?

Old 09-04-2012, 09:58 AM   #25
CastleHollow
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Yes, dissolve the dextrose in about a cup or so of boiling water, dump it in the bottling bucket & rack on top of that. I just added the vanilla extract straight in.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:18 PM   #26
ebskinner1
Recipes 

Likes Given: 19

This sounds AWESOME!!!!

Old 09-12-2012, 01:09 PM   #27
dhathazy
Recipes 

CastleHollow,
I'm thinking about adding a cinnamon stick or two to the secondary of a batch of pumpkin ale in process. Did you just throw the sticks in the secondary (like a dry hop) or did you boil in water and make a "tea" that your poured into the secondary? Thanks.

Old 09-19-2012, 11:09 PM   #28
letgonow
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

First sample bottled approx 2mo ago - great carbonation and head retention. Tastes like bottled gingerbread! Can't wait til Christmas.

Old 09-26-2012, 02:25 AM   #29
djelemenohpee
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by letgonow View Post
First sample bottled approx 2mo ago - great carbonation and head retention. Tastes like bottled gingerbread! Can't wait til Christmas.
can i ask how carbed it is? i just cracked a bottle after about 2.5 weeks. not much head. a slight ring around the edge of the glass. it tastes great. just cant recall how much head a Trappist is supposed to have. want to let it carb enough then move to colder location for bottle aging

Old 09-26-2012, 02:52 AM   #30
letgonow
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Carbonation is just right for the style. Think Chimay Blue label or similar. My house tends to stay around 78deg F in the summer so I don't really have a way to cellar things. Texas summers will do that.

Quick Reply