Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > Extract - Trappist Christmas (2011 NHC Madison Regional: 1st Place)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2012, 04:30 PM   #1
CastleHollow
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Default Extract - Trappist Christmas (2011 NHC Madison Regional: 1st Place)

Recipe Type: Extract
Yeast: WLP500 Trappist Ale
Yeast Starter: Yes, approx 1 cup
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.070
Final Gravity: 1.011
IBU: 24
Boiling Time (Minutes): 90
Color: 24
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 1 week @ 70-72
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 2 weeks @ 68
Tasting Notes: National BJCP remarks: "Complex yet subtle blend of spices. Gorgeous beer!"

Have been brewing this beer as my Christmas Ale every summer since 1995--something always changes year to year: one year it's the hops, next time I adjust the spices, or swap out the yeast... Haven't bothered to convert it to AG, it's just easier to brew as an extract.

Entered this version in the 2011 National Homebrew Competition (Madison Regional) and it placed 1st with a score of 46/50. Enjoy!

4# Light/Pale Malt Extract Syrup
3# Amber Malt Extract Syrup
1# Amber Dry Malt Extract
12oz Honey
8oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L
5oz Crystal 60L
4oz Biscuit Malt

Steep specialty grains, then boil extracts in 6.5 gallons of water for 90 minutes. Add honey with 10 minutes left in boil.

1/4 oz Northern Brewer (8.0% AA) at 80min, 45min, 30min, and 15min
1/2 oz Saaz (3.5% AA) at 15min
Add Irish Moss/whirlfloc and Spice Blend at 10min

Spice Blend:

1 tsp allspice
1/2oz orange peel, sweet
1 cinnamon stick
1 tsp coriander
3/4oz ginger root
After 3 days in the Primary:
8oz Belgian Candy Sugar, Dark (boil 2 cups of hot water, melt in candy while warm, cool, pitch)

In the Secondary:
1 tsp cloves
1/2 oz orange peel, sweet
1 cinnamon stick
Dry hop with 1/4 - 1/2oz Saaz for 7 days

Bottle with 3.5oz dextrose and 1 tsp vanilla extract. Condition for 4-6 months.

This beer can mature well for 5+ years, if cellared properly.
trappistlabel.jpg  

Last edited by CastleHollow; 04-14-2012 at 04:44 PM. Reason: premature hitter of the Enter button

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2012, 03:09 AM   #2
looneybomber
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 8

That sounds like a great Christmas ale. I may have to try this, but with my own little modification; clear candi and no 120L, just to keep the color lighter. Well what I should do is brew one of each and compare.

Bottled: <1.060: AHS Aniv Wit, lemon wheat, Blonde rye.
<1.090: How Rye I Am, Rye wheat ale, spiced tripel, tripel w/orange, baltic porter, skeeter pee lime and lemon w/cranberry, Milk stout.
<1.110: Reverend clone, IIPA. Chocolate RIS, Bourbon Barrel Quad, chocolate RIS w/oak & whiskey
>1.110 OG: Double W (inspired) stout, Choco milk Czar, Mephistopheles (inspired) stout..

Old 07-03-2012, 03:59 PM   #3
CLMCHENRY
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I only have a 5 gallon pot. Do you think I could do a 3.5 gallon boil and top off to 5 gallons and still have a somewhat close flavor?

Skoal!

Old 07-05-2012, 02:53 PM   #4
CastleHollow
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLMCHENRY View Post
I only have a 5 gallon pot. Do you think I could do a 3.5 gallon boil and top off to 5 gallons and still have a somewhat close flavor?
Absolutely, I would recommend increasing the bittering hop amounts to maintain the same relative IBUs.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:21 PM   #5
letgonow
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Just brewed this last weekend. Furious fermentation, had to clean off the top of my fermenter a few times due to overflow from the airlock. Did Perle instead of Saaz (didn't have any Saaz on hand... bad planning on my part) and Wyeast 3787 which appears to be a similar yeast. Smells fantastic, can't wait to see what it looks like when I transfer. I used a hop bag for the spices to make them a bit easier to segregate when I transfer.

Thank you for sharing!

Old 07-09-2012, 12:49 AM   #6
Fionnbharr
Just Some Guy in a Hat
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 52

I see the addition of the spices in secondary -- I'm assuming you treat them like dry-hopping, in terms of removal.

But what about the spices that go in with the boil -- do we keep them in during primary fermentation, or are they spent after the boil?

"Omit needless words."

- Strunk & White
"Eschew obfuscation."
- Anon.

Old 07-09-2012, 02:10 PM   #7
letgonow
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fionnbharr View Post
I see the addition of the spices in secondary -- I'm assuming you treat them like dry-hopping, in terms of removal.

But what about the spices that go in with the boil -- do we keep them in during primary fermentation, or are they spent after the boil?
Not sure about the OP but I left them in through primary. The taste was NOT disappointing. I should have done something similar in secondary, but kind of hoping the orange peel and so forth sinks to the bottom.

Old 07-09-2012, 03:00 PM   #8
looneybomber
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I want to brew this one soon now that I am finally freeing up secondaries, and soon primaries. But with regards to the orange peel, I had a tripel I left in secondary nearly 6wks on orange zest that sank just fine and also I've done orange strips, cinnamon, allspice, and coriander in primary that eventually sank too. Or at least I don't remember them floating. Are you having issues with these ingredients floating? IMO, wouldn't it be better to have this stuff float so it's not buried in the trub/yeast?

Bottled: <1.060: AHS Aniv Wit, lemon wheat, Blonde rye.
<1.090: How Rye I Am, Rye wheat ale, spiced tripel, tripel w/orange, baltic porter, skeeter pee lime and lemon w/cranberry, Milk stout.
<1.110: Reverend clone, IIPA. Chocolate RIS, Bourbon Barrel Quad, chocolate RIS w/oak & whiskey
>1.110 OG: Double W (inspired) stout, Choco milk Czar, Mephistopheles (inspired) stout..

Last edited by looneybomber; 07-10-2012 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Gramma Hamma

Old 07-09-2012, 04:35 PM   #9
CastleHollow
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fionnbharr View Post

I use a double-mesh strainer that filters out most of my hops or the bulkier spice additions from the brew kettle, but I don't imagine it would hurt anything to leave those in during fermentation. I kept the secondary spice additions loose and everything except the cinnamon stick eventually sank.

Old 07-10-2012, 04:03 AM   #10
djelemenohpee
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

This looks amazing!!!
can you help me with how long and at what temp you steep the specialty grains? (very new to brewing)
are all the spices dried varieties or is it fresh pealed orange and freshly grated ginger?
and is it possible to get around the start seeing as i dont know how to do this yet?
when bottle conditioning: at what temp?

sorry for all the questions. This just looks awesome and dont want to jack it up.
thanks again

Quick Reply