Tacafa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerkrump

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Reused T-58
Yeast Starter
no
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
no
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 days @ 74°F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
no
Additional Fermentation
no
Tasting Notes
below
TACAFA (Tom's Amazing Cheap Ass Farmhouse Ale)

The goal of this beer was to brew something and spend close to nothing for the ingredients. To accomplish this, I used home grown hops, roasted my cheapest base grain for my specialty malt, and reused yeast. Because of the hops and specialty grains, my IBU and SRM numbers are estimates. However, they are also close to what I was shooting for.

GRAIN BILL
10# Pale Ale Malted Barley (SRM=2, 83.3%)
1# Light Roasted Malted Barley * (SRM=40, 8.3%)
1# Medium Roasted Malted Barley ** (SRM=80, 8.3%)

HOPS
2 oz Zeus @ 60
2 oz Cascade @ 20
2 oz Cascade @ 5

YEAST
Reused Safbrew t-58 Pitched @ 60°-65° and let rise to 74°

MASH
1.25 qt/lb @ 150°F for 60 minutes

*-Combine 1# Pale Ale Malted Barley and 1/2 cup of water in a 13"x9" baking dish and let it sit for 30 minutes. Bake in a 350° oven for 60 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.

**-Combine 1# Pale Ale Malted Barley and 1/2 cup of water in a 13"x9" baking dish and let it sit for 30 minutes. Bake in a 350° oven for 90 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.

2011-08-22_22-46-26_647.jpg

The image is a little fuzzy, but you can see the bright white head and light amber color. There is some chill haze. The beer is a little dry and very quaffalble. The yeast adds a peppery spice and a little fruitiness that would be more pronounced if fermented at a higher temp.

Since the only ingredient I paid for was the base malt, which was bought in bulk, the cost for this beer was $5.76 for 5.5 gallons, or about 10¢ a 12 oz bottle. :rockin:

I like this pretty cool, I like how you even made the specialty grains. I have suspicions your a hipster in disguise.

Seriously would you do it again though? I know it was pretty much free but was it worth the time put in?

I would because I think there's room for improvement. My hops are not fully mature so they'll get better and produce more next year. The estimated %AA was about half of the commercial equivalent of the varieties I used. But, that was sort of expected.

Also, I think I can get it to be a little clearer. The beer itself is good, more delicate and sedate than the stouts and IPAs I usually enjoy. If I dropped the OG to around 1.042, it would be a good lawn mower beer.

Back