Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > SWMBO Slayer - Belgian Blonde

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2008, 10:48 PM   #41
Bosium
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Hey Biermuncher,

Thanks for posting this up, I love belgian blonde ales and this will be my second brew ever, so I am really keen to make it work.

I am following this recipe:

1.5Kg Muntons Wheat DME
2.0Kg Muntons Extra Lght DME
100g British Caramalt (Couldn't get Caramel 10 so have dialled down the amount, should I have used Carapils instead?)
250g Flaked Torrefied Wheat
125g Vienna Malt
25g Willamette hops

As for yeast, I plan to pitch onto a yeast cake from a Brewferm Tarwebier kit (Wit) yeast cake.

I have a few questions - mainly, do you think this will turn out well? I'm guessing it will be darker than it should be, due to the caramalt and the fact that it is an extract brew, but not certain - will this affect the taste at all?

The other question is, do you have any idea what the ABV will be? I kinda like a blonde beer to be around 6%, will this hit that? Do I need to add any sugar, or should I just put less water in? I have white belgian candy sugar if need be.

Any suggestions are welcome, I am very keen to try your centennial blonde next as my first all-grain.

Thanks!
G

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2008, 04:43 AM   #42
Bytor1100
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I just brewed up 10 gallons of this. That yeast strain is crazy. I had my starters blow through the airlock while on the stir plate, and this is the first brew that i've needed a blow off tube.

30 Gallons - Malty Moe APA

Old 08-11-2008, 01:15 AM   #43
kjones
Recipes 

I just ordered the all grain kit of this from midwest, it was only 17 bucks!! i didnt do the upgrade though just kept the dry yeast, it is danstar munich tht came with it, i have never used it before but i am looking forward to makin this, i have never made a blonde before

Old 08-11-2008, 04:58 PM   #44
portlandbeergeek
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So I just confused myself....I saw that only 1oz willamatte hops used, and i just noticed they are all in for 60 minutes. has anyone played around with a bitter/flavor/aroma mix? Or would that be out of the belgian blonde style? I'll be brewing this up in a few hours if "I don't even like beer, make whatever" Er, uh, I mean if SWMBO allows.

I drink I have a thinking problem!!!

Old 08-11-2008, 05:41 PM   #45
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 615 Times on 357 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Quote:
Originally Posted by portlandbeergeek View Post
So I just confused myself....I saw that only 1oz willamatte hops used, and i just noticed they are all in for 60 minutes. has anyone played around with a bitter/flavor/aroma mix? Or would that be out of the belgian blonde style? I'll be brewing this up in a few hours if "I don't even like beer, make whatever" Er, uh, I mean if SWMBO allows.
This one is all about a smooth malty flavor.

It's a bit higher than the high end of the gravity range (1.053 VS 1.052) and just under the IBU max of 20 IBU's.

No hops dominance in this beer. Just enough to balance...but leave lots of malt flavor.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:06 PM   #46
portlandbeergeek
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Smooth and malty it shall be! Got the strike water coming up to temp now. I have a quick question about the cost of this recipe. I went to the LHBS, and I think they might be overcharging for their grain. I upped the two row and wheat by a pound each, expecting my usual poor efficency. And hey, nothing wrong with a little extra alcohol if it happens. Here's how the bill breaks down:

6# two row $9.50 ($1.58/#)
5# belgian wheat $8.40 ($1.68/#)
$1.44 for the specialty grain ($1.92/#)
$1 for the flaked wheat
$5.75 for two ounces of hops (only gonna use one ounce!)
$6.75 for the WLP 400 vial of yeast

Maybe this is the wrong forum to discuss recipe costs.....but some people have commented that this was under $20 easy for the whole batch. Why did I just pay $32.84? The only extra on that bill is the ounce of hops that will be saved for the future.
Thanks for any input, and apologies if $$$$$$ should be discussed elsewhere

Last edited by portlandbeergeek; 08-11-2008 at 08:43 PM.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:55 PM   #47
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 615 Times on 357 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Quote:
Originally Posted by portlandbeergeek View Post
Smooth and malty it shall be! Got the strike water coming up to temp now. I have a quick question about the cost of this recipe. I went to the LHBS, and I think they might be overcharging for their grain. I upped the two row and wheat by a pound each, expecting my usual poor efficency. And hey, nothing wrong with a little extra alcohol if it happens. Here's how the bill breaks down:

6# two row $9.50 ($1.58/#)
5# belgian wheat $8.40 ($1.68/#)
$1.44 for the specialty grain ($1.92/#)
$1 for the flaked wheat
$5.75 for two ounces of hops (only gonna use one ounce!)
$6.75 for the WLP 400 vial of yeast

Maybe this is the wrong forum to discuss recipe costs.....but some people have commented that this was under $20 easy for the whole batch. Why did I just pay $32.84? The only extra on that bill is the ounce of hops that will be saved for the future.
Thanks for any input, and apologies if $$$$$$ should be discussed elsewhere
That price looks high, but not out of line with a bricks-and-mortar LHB shop. Austin or Midwest are cheaper...but they do a lot bigger web business.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 08-11-2008, 10:58 PM   #48
portlandbeergeek
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

cool, i'll have to look into one of the web-based companies. Thanks for the info BM!

I'm about 15 mins into the boil on this one and it's tasting pretty f'in good! Let's hope i get a decent OG.

Old 08-18-2008, 03:24 AM   #49
kjones
Recipes 

just got done brewing this at like 5 this evening overall i think it went pretty good i pitched teh dry yeast that came with it danstar munich just rehydrated and now at 10:30 it is already showing some activity in the airlock, I hit the sg nearly dead on it says 1.043-1.047 and i got 1.042. My only worrys is that I was geting alot of husk in my brew pot even though vorlauf like a gallon and recirculated with my stainless steel braid. and also the other worry is at last minute i grabbed a funnel to drain into the carboy, and guess waht i didnt sanitize it stupid mistake i thought i was over stupid mistakes like that, oh well maybe it didnt get infected

Last edited by kjones; 08-18-2008 at 03:45 AM.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:28 PM   #50
kjones
Recipes 

man i think i am gonna have to go put my blow off hose on this thing is about 1 inch from coming out of the carboy

Quick Reply