Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > SWMBO Slayer - Belgian Blonde

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2012, 01:07 PM   #351
banik
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Wait 3 or 4 days for signs of activity. Repitch if you don't see anything after 4 days. And drink a homebrew as punishment for your impatience.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 05:55 PM   #352
SFGiantsFan925
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 350 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 205

So, I made this a few weeks ago and its only at 1.014. I wish it would have went lower. I pitched a decent sized starter thinking it would tkae it a lot lower. Anything I can do to lower the gravity??

How long should it be in primary? I know the real answer (hydro readings), but does it need 3-4 weeks in primary to clean up? I am not planning a secondary with this.

Also, I am getting a pretty nasty smelling nose. But the hydro sample tastes decent. Anyone else find this??

Old 12-20-2012, 08:55 PM   #353
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 566 Times on 334 Posts
Likes Given: 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFGiantsFan925 View Post
So, I made this a few weeks ago and its only at 1.014. I wish it would have went lower. I pitched a decent sized starter thinking it would tkae it a lot lower. Anything I can do to lower the gravity??

How long should it be in primary? I know the real answer (hydro readings), but does it need 3-4 weeks in primary to clean up? I am not planning a secondary with this.

Also, I am getting a pretty nasty smelling nose. But the hydro sample tastes decent. Anyone else find this??
I think 1.014 is within the sweet spot for this beer. I wouldn't sweat a few extra points. In future batches, lower your mash temp by 2-3 degrees and let the mash rest for 75 minutes. That will help the beer attenuate more.

My batch was two weeks and was fine. This is a wheat style beer so it is best drunk fresh.

Begian yeast stinks like zombi @ss. It will pass.

Old 12-21-2012, 02:34 AM   #354
SFGiantsFan925
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

^ Thanks for the info! Ill keep an eye on it and take 1 more reading. I am pretty sure its done. Im probably going to transfer to a keg next week and maybe let it hang for a few days then carb.

Old 01-02-2013, 03:56 PM   #355
SFGiantsFan925
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Well, after 3 1/2 weeks in primary, I transferred this to my keg. When transferring, I measured the gravity and it was right at 1.014. Not bad, but WOW, what a terrible smelling beer. To me and the wife, it had a very strong sulphur smell. Not much of a beer smell, but a very strong off smell. Smells a lot like the smell I was getting from the fermentor. Its not pleasant at all.

As for the taste, its tasing a lot like wheat, or grain. I am not getting any of the nice belgian style esthers of clove, banana, spice notes. Its just a stinky, very grainy flavoered beer.

Mind you, this was my very first AG beer in my BIAB setup. Not sure if thats the cause. Pretty sure I let it mash for 60, even though my BeerSmih shows 75 minutes. Could this cause the problems Im having?? I dont want to dump the beer, but its smell is pretty bad. Letting it rest in the keg for a week or so before I decide what to do with it.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:32 AM   #356
SFGiantsFan925
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Well, its still, according to me, friends and SWMBO that my batch of this sucked. Im sure the recipe is fine, but this sucks. I am going to try some orange peel, coriander and let that sit for a few days. Hope that helps this beer.\I really want to love this beer.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:45 AM   #357
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 173 Times on 157 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFGiantsFan925 View Post
Well, its still, according to me, friends and SWMBO that my batch of this sucked. Im sure the recipe is fine, but this sucks. I am going to try some orange peel, coriander and let that sit for a few days. Hope that helps this beer.\I really want to love this beer.
I would set that all aside for about a month then retry it.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 01-08-2013, 02:00 PM   #358
dallasdb
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Brewing this and going to use Danstar Munich Dry Yeast.

Any objections or better suggestions for a DRY yeast?

Old 01-13-2013, 10:09 PM   #359
nghtmre4u
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Well i finally got to taste this today. This was my brew from hell lol. If it could of went wrong it did from running out of gas to it starting to rain to cold crashing and have it turn into a slushy. I have been brewing for a few years and this brew for what ever reason was loaded with problems mistakes etc. but after all the aggravation there was no way i could just walk away after this nearly froze i had to try it and I'm glad i did. it is pretty tasty and i will make this again just to see how bad my screw ups this go round effected it.

On Tap: Edwort's Hause Ale, Circle City Haus Ale, Oatmeal Stout, Blueberry Wheat, Centennial Blonde
Fermenting: Rat Dawg Pale Ale, American Lager, Jamils Blonde
On Deck: Edwort's Bavarian Hefeweizen, Biermuncher's Your WIT-ness" Belgian wit

Old 01-15-2013, 07:26 PM   #360
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 566 Times on 334 Posts
Likes Given: 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by nghtmre4u View Post
Well i finally got to taste this today. This was my brew from hell lol. If it could of went wrong it did from running out of gas to it starting to rain to cold crashing and have it turn into a slushy. I have been brewing for a few years and this brew for what ever reason was loaded with problems mistakes etc. but after all the aggravation there was no way i could just walk away after this nearly froze i had to try it and I'm glad i did. it is pretty tasty and i will make this again just to see how bad my screw ups this go round effected it.
You may have improved the beer. In which case you will want to document with great detail all of your screw-ups so you can repeat those screw-ups and repeat your brew with consistency.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Quick Reply