Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > SWMBO Slayer - Belgian Blonde

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2011, 02:17 PM   #281
ruralbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 34

After reading through this whole thread, I brewed a batch of this last Friday. I have been having some mash tun issues, so I followed the ingredient list from Midwest's extract kit. I thought I had read that someone had entered the extract version into their brewing software and said the OG would be low, and a suggestion was made to increase both the wheat and light DME by a pound to compensate. So I did. I also did a partial mash of the crystal malts and flaked barley with two pounds of pale malt. I had a half pound of flaked barley I wanted to get used up so I substituted for the flaked wheat. When I got the wort chilled and in the fermenter I had an OG of 1.080.
I see Midwest had T-58 listed as the dry yeast option, which what I was planning on using anyway. So I pitched the yeast dry, hooked up a 3/8 inch hose to the center post of the airlock and waited to see what would happen. I didn't get any krausen, but I am glad I used a blowoff tube. Within three hours I was starting to get bubbles out of the tube, and by the time I got home from work in the morning there was a nonstop stream of bubbles coming out of the blowoff tube. It looked like someone was blowing into the other end of the tube. It kept up like this for 24 hours before starting to slow down. The temperature got up in the mid 70's. If I wouldn't have had the hose on there I think it would have blown the sanitizer right out of the airlock. That T-58 seems to be pretty aggressive.

I took a gravity reading this morning, it is at 1.028. The sample had no hop bitterness at all, it was very fruity. For all the banana smell coming out of the blowoff, there was no banana flavor, more like plum or peach. It probably could have used a more vigorous aeration, but all my carboys are full and my plastic pail is also my bottling bucket, so I'm using the plastic fermentor I usually use for wine. The lid doesn't fit as tight and it is a little harder to handle, I sloshed it around as good as I could but probably not enough.

If nothing else, it is turning into an interesting experiment. My original plan was to dump in about six pounds of strawberries and make a strawberry blonde. But I think I have enough fermentables there already. The gravity has a ways to go to get to 1.008 that is listed as the FG. Not sure if it is going to get that low, I may be lucky to get it into the low teens. When it finishes out if there is still no bitterness from the hops, I may dry hop with another oz of Willamette, or maybe Saaz? Nothing too aggressive, I'll just have to wait and see.

Not sure who this one is going to slay, but if it ferments out probably anyone who drinks it!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2011, 05:34 PM   #282
ThinBlueLine
Recipes 

So I made this about a month back... I somehow overshot ended up with an OG of 1.062 and then ended up with and FG of 1.011 giving me an abv of almost 7%. Awesome.

I've had that dude sitting on gas for about a week in my keezer and finally had a buddy and his wife over last night for the first pour. Let me tell ya, this stuff is great!

I was a little concerned during fermentation bc the smell coming from the primary was quite unpleasant but the end product was fantastic and had no bad odors. Is this typical with Belgian yeast?

Btw... I crashed cooled mine with gelatin for 3 to 4 days and it came out crystal clear. I'll have to post a pic later when I pour another glass.

Warning: I inadvertently slayed myself last night... Drink with caution!

Old 09-09-2011, 12:05 AM   #283
bjohnson29
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Brewed about a month ago as well. 3 weeks in primary, kegged and carbed about a week thus far. I've been taking little samples along the way and its still pretty sweet and green tasting...any thoughts?

Old 09-09-2011, 03:05 AM   #284
ThinBlueLine
Recipes 

Attachment 33212

This is how it looked after 3 days in the keg. The flash made it look kind of red for some reason but it's definitely more of a golden color. This picture was really more to show the clarity. This was my first time using gelatin and it turned out pretty good

Old 09-09-2011, 05:45 AM   #285
ThinBlueLine
Recipes 

image-3235765802.jpg

Old 09-09-2011, 01:33 PM   #286
Calmbrews
Recipes 

Can you use gelatin without cooling?

Old 09-14-2011, 10:04 PM   #287
ACESFULL
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Brewed this and bottled and cracked one just a few min ago. Carbed up nicely. However the flavor seemed a little flat almost like its watered down. Not sure if I have an off flavor the OG & FG were within a few ticks from what the recipe called for. Should I just leave it in the bottle for another week for it to mellow? Also can someone post some tasting notes to see if I got this right? BTW 1st AG brew for this one too.

Old 09-15-2011, 01:53 PM   #288
Powers
Recipes 

definitely shouldn't taste watered down. if it was your first all grain batch, you may have had a number of issues. but if you're og/fg was close, you can rule out a bad grain crush (or no crush) which was my first guess for watered down flavor. an off flavor usually doesn't come across as watered down. what types of grain did you use? did they come from a LHBS that doesn't may have had older grain laying around?

Old 09-15-2011, 02:13 PM   #289
ACESFULL
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powers View Post
definitely shouldn't taste watered down. if it was your first all grain batch, you may have had a number of issues. but if you're og/fg was close, you can rule out a bad grain crush (or no crush) which was my first guess for watered down flavor. an off flavor usually doesn't come across as watered down. what types of grain did you use? did they come from a LHBS that doesn't may have had older grain laying around?
I bought the grain from several sources. The 2 row was bought from a bulk supplier. The rest from another LHBS. The specialty grains were all in sealed packages. The bulk grain was from a brand new sack opened right in front of me. I followed BM list from the OP. Had the grains crushed at the LHBS and the crush looked very good.

Color and clarity seem to be spot on from what has been posted. I just want to make sure that its not a problem with my set up or something that I may have screwed up. I have another beer India Brown (DFH clone) in bottles to and I hope that its just something with this beer and not that one too...

Could it be that the beer is still green? Can I expect this to mellow and or lose this flavor or is it just bad?

Old 09-15-2011, 02:50 PM   #290
Powers
Recipes 

this beer can definitely benefit from a good secondary time. i was focusing on your "watered down" description, which isn't usually what i sense from "green" beers. but, certainly could use some maturation time. i let it go a month in the bright tank and it tasted superb. slightly sweet, smooth, and full flavored with a good dose of yeast character and maltiness.

in fact, i liked it so much i made it again the very next batch with some red raspberries!

did you bottle already? how long was it in the primary? secondary? in bottles? i'd say let it sit for another two weeks and see where it goes.

EDIT: Checked notes, did not go a month in secondary, just 10 days. confused with a different beer.

Quick Reply