Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > SWMBO Slayer - Belgian Blonde

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2010, 02:10 AM   #241
msa8967
mickaweapon
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 75

My swmbo has now developed a liking for some of the stronger Belgian Blonde Ales and wanted to know if I could modify this recipe for a higher ABV% and IBU level. Below is what I cam up with via beersmith and wanted to know if anyone has an opinion, comment or suggestion of this modifed recipe. For my own tastes the IBU level and gravity are way too high for me, but since swmbo went through childbirth 5 months ago she really wants some stronger beer now that she can enjoy it again.

This is to be a 4 gallon recipe

6.5 lb Pale malt
4.0 lb Wheat malt
1.0 lb Carmel/Crystal 10L
1.0 lb Flaked Wheat
0.33 lb Cara-Pils

0.75 oz Williamette (first wort hops)
0.75 oz Williamette (60 min)
1.0 oz Cascade (20 min)
1.0 oz Cascade (10 min)
0.5 oz Williamette (5 min)

Wyeast belgian Abbey II
SG: 1.083 IBU:55 Bitterness ratio IBU/SG: 0.666

I have never tried altering a recipe this much before and I wonder if this is taking it way to far.

Mick Arnett
North Liberty, Iowa
"Beer will change the world. I don't know how, but it will."

Last edited by msa8967; 10-03-2010 at 02:19 AM. Reason: didn't finish recipe posting

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2010, 09:21 PM   #242
koomber
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

That is one refreshing beverage. Fortunately SWMBO doesn't like it (what a shame )

Silly question, but is this one of those styles where your meant to drink the sediment?

*** EvilTOJ_ changed topic to <koomber> Bodka. Mae from 100% geniuine dylexic potatos

Old 10-15-2010, 03:36 PM   #243
Mooseknuckle
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I went to my lhbs and had them make thme put together the ingredients. Is this supposed to be wheaty?

Old 10-22-2010, 08:58 PM   #244
Countryham
Recipes 

Brewed this guy as my first AG brew last Tuesday. I didn't have a large yeast cake to put it on, so I made a starter a few days before hand. SG came out to 1.054. I was impressed with myself, and reading everyone's advice on this board helped prepare me for almost everything. I didn't read far enough into this thread to see how much krausen this beer produced, but after 5 hours in the fermenter it had about an inch of krausen, and after another 6, it was time to switch out the air lock for the blow off tube. I've made a couple high gravity IIPA's and Imperial stouts, and even as vigorous as those fermentations were, none of them have needed the blow off. I'm pretty excited about this beer. Since its in the primary for so long, i'm going to have to find a recipe to throw into the other fermenter while this one chugs along.

Old 10-24-2010, 12:18 AM   #245
VApatriot
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 11 Posts

Countryham - what yeast did you use?

Old 10-24-2010, 05:30 AM   #246
Countryham
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApatriot View Post
Countryham - what yeast did you use?
I used a vial of white labs Belgian wit, in a 1 qt starter. In the starter I had 4 cups water and 3/4 cup extra light dme. After it finished bubbling, I cold crashed it in the fridge and when ready to pitch, just poured off almost all the liquid and threw the room temp slurry in. I pitched at midnight, and when I woke up to go to work 5 hours later, it was going off already.

Old 10-25-2010, 07:37 PM   #247
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 566 Times on 334 Posts
Likes Given: 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryham View Post
Brewed this guy as my first AG brew last Tuesday. I didn't have a large yeast cake to put it on, so I made a starter a few days before hand. SG came out to 1.054. I was impressed with myself, and reading everyone's advice on this board helped prepare me for almost everything. I didn't read far enough into this thread to see how much krausen this beer produced, but after 5 hours in the fermenter it had about an inch of krausen, and after another 6, it was time to switch out the air lock for the blow off tube. I've made a couple high gravity IIPA's and Imperial stouts, and even as vigorous as those fermentations were, none of them have needed the blow off. I'm pretty excited about this beer. Since its in the primary for so long, i'm going to have to find a recipe to throw into the other fermenter while this one chugs along.
Belgian yeast can go crazy. A Belgian WitBier (Blue moon clone) would go good on that yeast cake.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 12-12-2010, 01:51 PM   #248
Diesel48
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hope this turned out, going to keg today. My fermentation was not near as violent as I thought it was going to be. Nothing came out of the blow off tube. Forget what yeast I used, pretty sure it was the recommended one.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:26 PM   #249
specialkaye
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel48 View Post
Hope this turned out, going to keg today. My fermentation was not near as violent as I thought it was going to be. Nothing came out of the blow off tube. Forget what yeast I used, pretty sure it was the recommended one.
I just bottled this recipe two days ago. Same thing, blow off tube not needed. But I used a 6.5g bucket fermenter. Plus, I had a lot of suspended particles still. I use one clear bottle to see what's going on, and it's starting to clear fast so I'm sure things will turn out fine. Taste, at bottling, was smooth and a touch sweet with a clean finish. I think it'll be an excellent beer. This is also the first batch I brewed using the new BIAB method in my signature.

(raising glass) Garagekie!
Okay, now you ask, "What's a garagekie?"
And I say, "It'sa what use open de garage."

HBT Projects:Cheap Hop Spider; Recirculating Ribcage IC; Easy All-Grain BIAB

Railhead Farms LLC - Organic Wisconsin Hops

Coming Soon: 2 Rule Investing

Old 12-14-2010, 01:24 PM   #250
Diesel48
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Mine was pretty cloudy as well, I am sure a lot of it will fall out when the keg goes into the keezer. Naturally priming it now as all my gas lines are being used up.

Quick Reply