Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > SWMBO Slayer - Belgian Blonde

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2009, 07:24 PM   #161
NTOLERANCE
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Guys, I used the recipe for my first AG batch as well. Did the cooler batch sparge. Worked well, had a very unique taste, nothing like a Blue Moon, or the like. The longer it sat in the Kegerator, the better it got. Its a great beer for hot summer days, even if youre not the SWMBO. Keg is empty, on to the next batch!

One thing I did notice, is that as the keg emptied, the more head the beer had. Wasnt overcarbed, I even knocked the presure down to see if that was it.

Thanks for all the help.

They call him easy.....easy brewer.....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2009, 08:30 PM   #162
splifs
Recipes 

Just brewed this up today, sadly as I was in a hurry to finish so I could get to softball failed to take a gravity reading...naturally softball ended up being canceled. As is life, looking forward to it.

Keg 1 - Sweet Wheat
Keg 2 - SWMBO Slayer
Keg 3 - Ed Worts Apfelwein
Keg 4 - empty
Keg 5 - empty
Keg 6 - empty

Bottled - Oatmeal Stout

Up next - Soul stripper IPA or Dogfish 60min clone

Old 07-17-2009, 11:26 PM   #163
boredatwork
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I brewed this recipe last week. I missed the OG by a bit (1.045) since I only got 68% efficiency, but it was right in the middle of the blonde ale range so I guess it should be OK.

One comment about blowoff though. I know some people consider this heresy, but I have always found it extremely useful to use foam controller drops. I use it primarily for boilover control in the boil, but the drops also calm doing the blowoff in the fermentor.

I made a 1.5L starter that had a huge 4-5 inch krausen after 36 hours. I didn't think about swirling it back down into the starter, so when I pitched, it had already gotten hard and crusty (and based on BM's comments about yeast getting stuck in the krausen makes me wonder if I negated any effects of a starter by not catching that in time). So the yeast was super active. The beer has been in the fermentor for almost a week now and the foam controller works so well that I can use an airlock without any problems. The bubbling has been pretty intense, but the krausen is at most 2-3 inches in the carboy.

Again, I know not everyone is in tune with adding "magical drops" to their beer (and that argument has been repeated too many times on this forum), but it really helps eliminate the effects of super active beers - if you are interested in that kind of thing.

On a different note, with the hot summer temperatures I was using a cooler to lower the fermenting temperature. I originally set the temperature controller to about 64F, but there was very little activity in the airlock. So I looked up the optimum fermenting temps for the WLP400 and its 69-74F. So then I raised the temperature controller to 71F, and since then the airlock activity has really taken off.

Now I just have to wait.

Old 07-18-2009, 01:39 PM   #164
masonsjax
Professional Amateur
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 301 Times on 218 Posts
Likes Given: 296

I've been drinking this recipe for a couple of weeks. Everyone likes it a lot. It's a much more complex beer than I expected, since I'm not overly familiar with Belgian styles. It has a little bit of a fruity, spicy, and slightly tart taste. I over sparged a tad, so my ABV came out to only about 5.3%, but I'm very happy with the results. I'll probably make this one again.

I aim to misbehave.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:32 AM   #165
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 581 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 214

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonsjax View Post
I've been drinking this recipe for a couple of weeks. Everyone likes it a lot. It's a much more complex beer than I expected, since I'm not overly familiar with Belgian styles. It has a little bit of a fruity, spicy, and slightly tart taste. I over sparged a tad, so my ABV came out to only about 5.3%, but I'm very happy with the results. I'll probably make this one again.
Man I miss this beer. Once I'm off my beer drinking hiatus...this one is first up I think.

Old 07-23-2009, 07:45 PM   #166
VApatriot
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 12 Posts

I brewed this on July 1st for my entrance into AG brewing. I checked the gravity after 2 weeks and it was only 1.020 at 60 deg f. I checked it again last night (3 weeks in the primary) and it was still at 1.020 also at 60 deg. f, so I decided to rack to the secondary and leave it for another week before I bottle it.

The only yeast the LHBS had that seemed close, was a White Labs Belgian Wit II, Platinum Edition liquid yeast WLP410, they were out of the WLP400 so I used that. Any ideas on why the attenuation is not very good?

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to trying this one in about 5 weeks, sure do hate the waiting though.......

Old 07-27-2009, 03:33 AM   #167
Captain_Bigelow
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alapapa View Post
I tapped my AG rendition of this a couple of days ago -- lowered pale malt by .5 lb, used slightly lower % williamette, & added an oz. of sweet orange peel to last 30 mins of boil

did a long secondary

you were right -- swmbo is a huge fan
thx for the inspiration

edit: included pic -- lighting sucks
This looks delicious. I think I may try this for my next recipe.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:23 PM   #168
theganda
Recipes 

So I went to brew this but mixed up the yeast with another batch I had planned and ended up pitching some Safbrew S-33. Real boneheaded mistake. I also ended up missing the gravity because I had some troubles with the mash and got 1.042. How do you think this will end up? Its been in the primary for 2 weeks and smells good at least.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:53 PM   #169
LooyvilleLarry
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher View Post
Man I miss this beer. Once I'm off my beer drinking hiatus...this one is first up I think.
Biermuncher. Drinking hiatus. It troubles my heart to hear those at the same time. I can relate though, I've had to seriously cut back - I just can't run 26miles a day to burn those calories

Secondary

Kegged
BeeCave Haus Ale - 6%
Bells Two Hearted, round 2- 6.1%
SNPA Clone (Chilled )
Hard Lemonade

Shiraz - 6 gal

Old 07-30-2009, 03:57 AM   #170
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 581 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 214

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooyvilleLarry View Post
Biermuncher. Drinking hiatus. It troubles my heart to hear those at the same time. I can relate though, I've had to seriously cut back - I just can't run 26miles a day to burn those calories
Trust me. It's killing me. I just had to do it though. Absence making the heart grow fonder and all.

Doing nothing else I've dropped 8 pounds in the last 6 weeks. This will be a nice set up to a brew-o-rama this Fall accompanied by a serious making up for lost time.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Quick Reply