Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > SWMBO Slayer - Belgian Blonde

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2009, 04:14 PM   #111
MgMt_Home_Brew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher View Post
Glad it turned out nice. Kicking a keg in less than 24 hours? Must have been brewed pretty well.
It was deffinetly my best Belgian Wit I have made. My only issue that I have had on the last two Wits (including this one) has been a stuck fermentation. Both times I waited about a week and the krauzen was still pretty think. So I got some dry yeast and sprinkled it in there which cleared it up in a day or so. Im not sure why this is happening.

My first thought was temp since it got pretty cold where I was keeping it. Since I have taken some yeast cake out of my fermenter after I kegged it and made a starter with it which has been built up twice and the krauzen has done the same thing...any ideas?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2009, 04:20 PM   #112
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 591 Times on 347 Posts
Likes Given: 222

Quote:
Originally Posted by MgMt_Home_Brew View Post
...Both times I waited about a week and the krauzen was still pretty think. So I got some dry yeast and sprinkled it in there which cleared it up in a day or so. Im not sure why this is happening.
Belgian yeast is notorious for violent, prolonged fermentation. Sometimes it will
actually get so thick on the fermenter wall that fermentation slows down and you have to knock the yeast back down into solution.

It's pretty typical.

Old 03-05-2009, 04:57 PM   #113
MgMt_Home_Brew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher View Post
Belgian yeast is notorious for violent, prolonged fermentation. Sometimes it will
actually get so thick on the fermenter wall that fermentation slows down and you have to knock the yeast back down into solution.

It's pretty typical.
interusting. I guess I will have to try knocking this stuff back down into the wort when I get home.

Regardless of the issues I have been having I have just been loving the wits lately and so does the lady freind. Now if only I could clone Wittekerke! One of these days I will...

Old 03-05-2009, 08:14 PM   #114
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MgMt_Home_Brew View Post
interusting. I guess I will have to try knocking this stuff back down into the wort when I get home.
Just give the fermenter a good rocking back and forth (no splashing) and that should do it.

Old 03-12-2009, 10:22 PM   #115
Myrdhyn
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I promised SWMBO a belgian for my next batch, and the recipe(s) in this thread have me intrigued. I do have one question however, if you don't have a yeast cake from a previous belgian in the fermenter, how will it effect this brew to just use a fresh package?

Old 03-13-2009, 05:57 PM   #116
MgMt_Home_Brew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I used a fresh packet the first time I made this and it was fine except for the stuck fermentation which i don't think had anything to do with the freash yeast.

I did another on of these guys last sunday and it has been fermenting like crazy. I have also been taking a spoon and scrapping the yeast from the sides of the fermenter to help keep the fermentation going. It seems to be working well, I have been doing it every other day and a day after I do it the krauzen is freakin massive again.

I also used some grape fruit zest this time around instead of bitter orange peel so I am curious to see how it turns out.

Old 03-13-2009, 06:54 PM   #117
fivehoursfree
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

just popped the first bottle. tastes nice. light but flavor full. its been in bottles for 3 weeks, probably needs a little longer. OR at least longer in the fridge. tastes a but yeasty.

Here is the final Partial Mash recipe I used. Not sure if it tastes like BeirMucnhers, but I like it:
Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.00 lb Wheat Liquid Extract [Boil for 15 min] Extract 34.29 %
2.00 lb Wheat Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 22.86 %
1.50 lb White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 17.14 %
1.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) Bel (3.0 SRM) Grain 11.43 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 5.71 %
0.50 lb Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 5.71 %
0.25 lb Caravienne Malt (22.0 SRM) Grain 2.86 %
1.25 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (60 min) Hops 16.9 IBU
1 Pkgs Belgian Wit Ale (White Labs #WLP400) Yeast-Wheat

Old 03-14-2009, 01:56 AM   #118
epimortum
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Thanks BierMuncher, I believe I have found what I'm going to brew for homebrewday. I'm getting really excited about this one. One question though (just as a curiosity) what would happen if one were to attempt to prime with wheat extract? (D/LWE)?

Im Himmel gibt’s kein Bier, Drum trinken wir es hier.
Add yourself to the Home Brewers Map Here is the associated HBT Forum

Old 03-14-2009, 02:06 AM   #119
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by epimortum View Post
Thanks BierMuncher, I believe I have found what I'm going to brew for homebrewday. I'm getting really excited about this one. One question though (just as a curiosity) what would happen if one were to attempt to prime with wheat extract? (D/LWE)?
If given the choice, I would usually save my extract for brewing. You never know when you're going to want to kick up a recipe just a bit.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 03-16-2009, 04:13 PM   #120
BioBeing
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Got my batch going on Saturday. My first all-grain, and my first 10 gallon. Brewing went without a hitch. I was afraid of a stuck sparge, so I added 1 lb of rice hulls, and it came flowing out without a problem. For my next batch though, I think I'll add a spigot to my brew kettle. Auto-siphons are great, but they are slow...

I had bubbles in my airlocks by 12 hours. At 36 hours, I had krausen in my airlock. Didn't think I'd need a blow off tube from my two 7.5 gal buckets, but I did!

Quick Reply