Saison Spelt Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beergolf

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Yeast Starter
yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
4 weeks
Tasting Notes
see below
6 lbs. Belgian Pils. 60%
3 lbs. Spelt. 30%
1 lb. Turbinado sugar. 10%

2 oz. French Strisselspalt. @ 60 2.3%. 17.8 IBU
1.5 oz. French Strisselspalt. @. 20 2.3%. 8.1 IBU
1 oz. French Strisselspalt. @ 5. 2.3%. 1.8 IBU

Mash at 149 for 75 min. Pitch yeast at 70, hold it there until fermentation gets going good. Then slowly ramp up the temp to the high 80's. I would add 2 degrees in the morning and then another 2 degrees in the evening until I got to 86-88.

A great Saison. It tastes exactly like I would imagine a rustic farmhouse Saison should taste like. The spelt adds a nice earthy, slightly nutty flavor. Similar to wheat but different enough to add an interesting twist. It plays well with the Strisselspalt hops and the yeast. It can be difficult to find malted spelt but it is worth the effort to search it out. After reading Farmhouse Ales I was inspired to make a more rustic, simple saison and this worked out perfectly. I brewed it twice and it has been a big hit. I just brewed the third time and going to add some Brett, which should really make a nice addition to this brew.

Find some malted spelt and give this brew a try.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just made a similar brew with

4kg Dingemans Pilsner
1.5kg Spelt malt
200g crystal
350g jar of orange blossom honey

50g East Kent Goldings @ FWH
15g East Kent Goldings @ 30 mins
35g East Kent Goldings @ 5 mins

I went with French Saison for the yeast but kept a gallon aside and threw some Orval dregs in there to see what would happen.

It's only been a few weeks since I bottled the main 4 gallons but it's pretty nice already. Probably more malty than yours as I used less sugar but it's lovely. I'm starting to see some action on the gallon with the Orval dregs too. If it dries out more that will be excellent.

I finally got my hands on some Saison D'Epautre this week and will be nabbing the yeast for one of my next brews. I wish I'd had it in time for this one!

I just made a similar brew with

4kg Dingemans Pilsner
1.5kg Spelt malt
200g crystal
350g jar of orange blossom honey

50g East Kent Goldings @ FWH
15g East Kent Goldings @ 30 mins
35g East Kent Goldings @ 5 mins

I went with French Saison for the yeast but kept a gallon aside and threw some Orval dregs in there to see what would happen.

It's only been a few weeks since I bottled the main 4 gallons but it's pretty nice already. Probably more malty than yours as I used less sugar but it's lovely. I'm starting to see some action on the gallon with the Orval dregs too. If it dries out more that will be excellent.

I finally got my hands on some Saison D'Epautre this week and will be nabbing the yeast for one of my next brews. I wish I'd had it in time for this one!

That sound good too. I think the spelt will go great with the Orval dregs. I am waiting on mine that I added a mix of brett B and brett L to. Should be very good, since the non brett version is so tastey. I think the brett will add another layer of complexity.

I'm about to brew my second batch of this and thought I'd give an update about the first.

I was really nice but let down a little by a few flaws in my brewing technique. I ended up with more banana esters than I wanted and also a big of huskiness from oversparging. Nothing too bad, it still goes down well but it could have been a bit better. I also found using Kent Golding at all stages wasn't as good as some of my other brews.

The brett version with Orval dregs is fantastic though, as the brett seems to mask all the off flavours and taste pretty similar to Orval although it's a bit less malty.

This time round I'm not going to use the Crystal I used before, which was a bit too dark a grade for this sort of beer. Instead I'm going to add a little carapils for body and use Thiriez yeast I've grown from bottles which seems to attenuate less than French Saison.

I like Saison D'Epeautre but it is very very dry and, having cultured the yeast from dregs, it actually seems to be very similar to French Saison.

Here's the new recipe:

4kg Dingemans Pils
1.5kg Weyerman Spelt malt
200g Carapils
340g Orange Blossom Honey

Celeia @ 60 mins 23 IBU
Bobek @ 20 mins 2 IBU

OG should be 1.056 and FG should be 1.008 so not as dry as a lot of saisons but

I guess I should update this..

I like the 3724 for the yeast. This yeast really works for this brew. The Strisselspalt hops are perfect and blend with the yeast. I did my last batch and added some Orval dregs and it is even better than the other batches. The brett adds another level of complexity that is perfect. This is a very good farmhouse rustic Saison.

It is in my regular rotation now.

I guess I should update this..

I like the 3724 for the yeast. This yeast really works for this brew. The Strisselspalt hops are perfect and blend with the yeast. I did my last batch and added some Orval dregs and it is even better than the other batches. The brett adds another level of complexity that is perfect. This is a very good farmhouse rustic Saison.

It is in my regular rotation now.

Yep Orval dregs and Spelt is awesome.

One thing I might try is to add some stronger hops with this one. I tried Blaugies Vermontoise which is Saison D'Epeautre with US hops and it's awesome. I usually prefer the more subtly hopped beers but this one is excellent.

I wish I could get hold of Strisselspalt, you can't seem to get it in the UK despite being really close to France. I've heard using Brewers Gold at 60 mins and Strisselspalt at 20 is meant to be nice. I've replaced the Strisselspalt with Hallertauer in my Biere De Garde recipes and it's a great combination, very herbal and spicy.

I can never find malted spelt, but I use unmalted in smaller quantities in pretty much all of my saisons. Was thinking about trying to malt it myself, this recipe looks right up my alley!

I can never find malted spelt, but I use unmalted in smaller quantities in pretty much all of my saisons. Was thinking about trying to malt it myself, this recipe looks right up my alley!

I only use malted because it's actually cheaper and easier to get than unmalted. Saison D'Epeautre uses unmalted de-husked spelt rather than malted so I'm not sure you'll actually need to malt it. As far as I know it's 1/3 of the grain bill with the rest being pilsner (I think).

I picked up some flaked millet from a health food shop this week so I'm going to make a similar saison with that instead of spelt and another rye one to see how it goes.

I'm about to brew my second batch of this and thought I'd give an update about the first.

I was really nice but let down a little by a few flaws in my brewing technique. I ended up with more banana esters than I wanted and also a big of huskiness from oversparging. Nothing too bad, it still goes down well but it could have been a bit better. I also found using Kent Golding at all stages wasn't as good as some of my other brews.

The brett version with Orval dregs is fantastic though, as the brett seems to mask all the off flavours and taste pretty similar to Orval although it's a bit less malty.

This time round I'm not going to use the Crystal I used before, which was a bit too dark a grade for this sort of beer. Instead I'm going to add a little carapils for body and use Thiriez yeast I've grown from bottles which seems to attenuate less than French Saison.

I like Saison D'Epeautre but it is very very dry and, having cultured the yeast from dregs, it actually seems to be very similar to French Saison.

Here's the new recipe:

4kg Dingemans Pils
1.5kg Weyerman Spelt malt
200g Carapils
340g Orange Blossom Honey

Celeia @ 60 mins 23 IBU
Bobek @ 20 mins 2 IBU

OG should be 1.056 and FG should be 1.008 so not as dry as a lot of saisons but

Update on this one, the Thiriez yeast got it down to 1.004 and this is a hell of a lot better than my last effort overall. I think it's the best saison I've made so far, although I have another two in the FV right now.

I paid a visit to Brasserie Thiriez last week while on holiday and had a chat with the brewers there about how they use their yeast and I'm going to have a crack at a lower ABV version with no sugar or honey which I'm hoping will be close to their brews.

I think it's the best saison I've made so far, although I have another two in the FV right now.

Good to hear. I am loving the spelt flavor. I just ordered a bunch more to brew up a couple more batches. Maybe with some slight variations.

Back