Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > Small Pimpin' (a table saison)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2013, 08:24 PM   #11
highgravitybacon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 191 Times on 134 Posts
Likes Given: 145

Quote:
Originally Posted by eulipion2 View Post
I've got a session saison in my recipe drop-down that turned out quite nice. I've got another one in my fermenter right now that I used Maris Otter (needed to use it up), Strisselspalt and Belma hops, and Wyeast 3711 French Saison.

Should be great, but I'd say whatever saison strain you use, for such a small beer I'd only pitch between about 3/4 of the pack. That'll slow fermentation a little, and stress the yeast enough to get some of that saison funk and spice you might not otherwise get in a fast fermentation.
Intentionally underpitching has many many more negative outcomes than positive ones. You should be pitching an appropriate amount of yeast at all times. The yeast will produce the right flavor at the correct pitch rate.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2013, 01:57 AM   #12
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by highgravitybacon View Post
Intentionally underpitching has many many more negative outcomes than positive ones. You should be pitching an appropriate amount of yeast at all times. The yeast will produce the right flavor at the correct pitch rate.
All I'm saying is that it worked for me. Got the right amount of saison character for such a low beer. Still finished in three days.

On-Deck: Grodziskie; Session IPA; Saison Americaine; Mosaic Pilsner

Kegged: Apple cider; Adventures in Homebrewing's Black Prinz Stout

Bottled: "Clean Out the Freezer" IPA; Belma/Strisselspalt Session Saison; Coffee Saison

Old 04-30-2013, 02:05 PM   #13
netsecgeek
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by highgravitybacon View Post
Agree that it can have many negative outcomes; however, I think you can do it properly with nice results. If you are pitching healthy/active yeast from a starter, those negatives are reduced and underpitching a bit (no more than 20%) to generate some more ester profile is fine.

Quick Reply