Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > All-Grain - Session Saison

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2013, 01:41 AM   #21
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Awesome, glad it turned out well! I love this beer.

Primary:

Kegged: BierMuncher's OktoberFAST; Emmdub23's Belma Stout; Mosaic pilsner; Fir tip Maibock; Avery Hog Heaven clone; Brewpastor's Dark Night of the Soul; Perry; Dry Apple Cider;

Bottled: Quad; Tripel; Saison Americain; Pumpkin Saison; Coffee Saison; Session Saison; Belma Session Saison; Grodziskie; Bacon488's Mild

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2013, 10:03 PM   #22
QuercusMax
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Rebrewing this right now. I was mowing the lawn this afternoon and drinking one of these, and it was pretty much the perfect thing. And then I remembered I only have 2 more of them left! That clearly cannot do, as I'm heading into the heart of the lawnmowing season here in Ohio.

First time around I used Vienna instead of Munich, and Belgian Pale malt instead of Pilsner. This time I'm using German Pils and Dark Munich.

First time I think I misunderstood the hop schedule, and put in the 30 minute addition at 60 minutes, and had to sub Mt Hood for Strisselspalt. This time I'm using (for a half batch):

.22oz Styrian Goldings (3.8%) First Wort Hop
.33oz US Goldings (4.4%) 30 minutes
1.25oz Mt Hood (6.1%) 0 minutes

Old 04-27-2013, 10:52 PM   #23
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Nice! Let us know how it turns out.

Primary:

Kegged: BierMuncher's OktoberFAST; Emmdub23's Belma Stout; Mosaic pilsner; Fir tip Maibock; Avery Hog Heaven clone; Brewpastor's Dark Night of the Soul; Perry; Dry Apple Cider;

Bottled: Quad; Tripel; Saison Americain; Pumpkin Saison; Coffee Saison; Session Saison; Belma Session Saison; Grodziskie; Bacon488's Mild

Old 04-29-2013, 12:32 AM   #24
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Just bottled my second attempt at a session saison: Maris Otter (for backbone), Belma for bittering, Belma & Strisselspalt for flavor/aroma, Wyeast 3711. OG 1.030, FG 1.006, 3.15% ABV. Sample tasted great!

I know it's not the same recipe I posted originally, but saison is like a blank canvas you can experiment with. If this one turns out well I'll probably post it as another session saison in the recipe section.

Primary:

Old 06-07-2013, 02:53 PM   #25
mb82
Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Just brewed this up yesterday. I played around with the hop schedule.
7.6 IBU Hallertauer at 60 min
5.9 IBU Hallertauer at 30 min
4.6 IBU Cascade at 10 min

I also used Bell Saison. Listening to the airlock hiss and bubble right now. I am looking forward to getting to taste this one since the hygrometer sample for OG tasted great.

Primary: House Bitter
Bottled: Can't keep track
Up coming beers:

Old 06-08-2013, 02:38 AM   #26
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Looks good. I'm moving to a new town where the closest homebrew shop is 45 min or so away. I've been thinking a lot about trying out the Belle Saison so I don't have to either transport or ship liquid yeast. Let me know how it turns out.

Primary:

Old 07-02-2013, 06:01 PM   #27
mb82
Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Spicy and peppery that is what the hygrometer sample tasted like this morning when I bottled. I can't wait to get this beer carbed and cooled to see how it tastes. It was great then. I planned on bottling 2 weeks ago but life got in the way and today was the first chance I have had.

Primary: House Bitter
Bottled: Can't keep track
Up coming beers:

Old 07-31-2013, 04:42 PM   #28
chad_
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by eulipion2 View Post
.5 oz Styrian Golding (3.8%, pellet) 30 min (50 minute addition with chilling method)
2 oz Strisselspalt (2.0%, pellet) Cube hop (20 minute addition with chilling method)
I'm a little confused on these hops, what does "30 min (50 minute addition with chilling method) mean"
Same for the strisselspalt.

Thanks
Pimary #1: Trippel
Primary #2: Summer Berliner Weisse
Primary #3: Belgian Quad
Souring: Sour Red, Sour White, Sour Black, Saison brett, Farmhouse Saison
Bottled: Saison, Nelson saison, Sour Brett Saison
Waiting: Dubbel, Belma Pale, Dark Saison

Old 07-31-2013, 04:49 PM   #29
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I originally brewed this as a no-chill beer, which is to say, at flame-out you transfer your boiling-hot wort into a heat-proof vessel, seal it up, and allow to cool to pitching temp, usually overnight. So for no-chill, because they're going to be hot longer, brewers typically offset hop additions by 20 min. So, as noted above, a traditional 50 minute addition would be a 30 minute addition for a no-chiller. If you chill your wort via more traditional methods, the hop schedule will look like this:

.5 oz Styrian Golding (3.8%, pellet) First Wort Hop (added to kettle before run-off from mash and allowed to steep)
.5 oz Styrian Golding (3.8%, pellet) 50 minutes
2 oz Strisselspalt (2.0%, pellet) 20 minute

Primary:

Old 08-01-2013, 12:42 PM   #30
chad_
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Okay, that makes sense! thank you!

Pimary #1: Trippel
Primary #2: Summer Berliner Weisse
Primary #3: Belgian Quad
Souring: Sour Red, Sour White, Sour Black, Saison brett, Farmhouse Saison