Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > All-Grain - Saison Ete

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2009, 12:40 AM   #11
andobajando
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

when you racked to secondary did you repitch yeast or just rely on what was in solution?

Rely on what's in solution.

but didnt get quite as high gravity...1068, but it may still be a bit warm, so could go up...you took it at what temp?

Accurate gravity readings for most hydrometers is at 68 degrees Fahrenheit, what temperature did you read the gravity at? A higher temperature will cause a lower gravity to be read. Also what was your mash schedule like?

Palmer is a great resource for brew knowledge.

I know the key is fermentation temp, so going to do my best to keep it warm for the next couple days

A great way to keep beer warm is with a reptile tank heater, they can usually raise the beer 10 degrees above ambient temperature.

Andy

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2009, 04:33 PM   #12
andobajando
Recipes 

Just tried my Saison the other night, and I think I may be in love. This beer is crisp, dry and silky smooth with loads of spice, pepper and fruit. You'd never guess it's 10.5% from the pallet, but it does warm you as it sets in the stomach.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:43 PM   #13
shwillson
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andobajando View Post
when you racked to secondary did you repitch yeast or just rely on what was in solution?

Rely on what's in solution.

but didnt get quite as high gravity...1068, but it may still be a bit warm, so could go up...you took it at what temp?

Accurate gravity readings for most hydrometers is at 68 degrees Fahrenheit, what temperature did you read the gravity at? A higher temperature will cause a lower gravity to be read. Also what was your mash schedule like?

Palmer is a great resource for brew knowledge.

I know the key is fermentation temp, so going to do my best to keep it warm for the next couple days

A great way to keep beer warm is with a reptile tank heater, they can usually raise the beer 10 degrees above ambient temperature.

Andy
Hey Andy! Thanks so much for the tips! I really appreciate it!

We used a heating pad (Jess is a physical therapist) and it worked beautifully.

Actually I had such good results with this yeast...the batch got all the way down to 1004 that I impulsively added the kingston amber ale right onto the yeast cake from secondary. Yeast chewed through this 1060 wort in 36 hrs...the carboy was very warm (had to be in the 80's) and the ambient temp in our boston apt was around 60-66! I didnt rack this ale...very happy with the final product and so excited for my both of these to mature!!!

Old 10-24-2009, 09:13 PM   #14
andobajando
Recipes 

Awesome Wilson. I just started cracking into my Pumpkin Saisons, they're a real crowd pleaser, it's got nice balance- Not too much pumpkin or spice flavor. The 3711 compliments this beer quite well. I just did a low gravity saison- 1.050, it's in the secondary now. I have a Golden Strong that didn't attenuate to where I was hoping, so I'm going to throw it on the saison yeast cake and see what happens. My original saison has been in the bottle for 2 months now, it's come along way, yet it still has a lot more to go. I taped up a case of 20 17oz bottles and hid it away from myself in hopes of trying it after 6+ months. I have 2 bottles left of what I allotted for early drinking. Wish me luck.

Old 10-24-2009, 09:41 PM   #15
IanP
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Forgive the newbie question, but why does the recipe add sugar when this yeast attenuates so highly? Won't it give the dry result we want without the sugar?

Conditioning : Assorted Meads
On Deck : Belgian IPA
Waiting : Oatmeal Stout

Old 10-25-2009, 05:27 AM   #16
Sixbillionethans
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I suppose it's a decent question.

WY3711 is so attenuative, that some of the traditional logic might not necessarily hold. But I'm not convinced that an all-malt beer would drop to such a dry FG.

It would be an excellent experiment, though. Nice suggestion.

WY3711 has become so popular now, that you might find more people trying unique recipes.

Old 10-30-2009, 11:26 PM   #17
andobajando
Recipes 

Update. So I did a smaller gravity Saison with the third generation of this yeast cake. It was a 1050 with just 10 lbs of pills and half a pound of wheat malt, and it also attenuated down to 1. So sugar might not be necessary if you keep within a certain gravity range... but still that's 6.5% abv

Old 01-19-2011, 10:21 PM   #18
Berock
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have a general question but am posting it here since this is the brew I'm doing this weekend. I'm trying to remember why you go a step mash. In this case, 10 minutes at 120 and 148 for 60 minutes. I've never done one and can but was wondering the benefit. Doesn't it help extracting protein and thereby clearing the beer?

Old 01-19-2011, 10:34 PM   #19
jbrookeiv
Beer Review Dude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by andobajando View Post
Update. So I did a smaller gravity Saison with the third generation of this yeast cake. It was a 1050 with just 10 lbs of pills and half a pound of wheat malt, and it also attenuated down to 1. So sugar might not be necessary if you keep within a certain gravity range... but still that's 6.5% abv
Did you just rack the first beer off and pour the other Saison directly on the cake? I am interested in trying this, as I know I will be brewing a lot of Saisons in the near future since they work well in my climate and I don't want to have to buy new yeast every batch.

My Beer Review Blog: Beer Review Dude
My Craft Beer Social Network: Craft Beer Network

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrewtastic View Post
I think a more pertinent question is where is AB and Miller Coors getting all of their horse urine?
Primary: Belgian Pale Ale w. Brett | Saison | Mango Pulp Wine | Graff, 10 gal

Bottled / Kegged: Hopped Imperial Wheat | AK47 Pale Mild, BIAB | AHS 20th Anniv. IPA, No Chill | Apfelwein
Leftover IIPA, No Chill | All-Molasses Ale | BIAB Black IPA | BIAB Hoppy Stout | JAOM | RyePA

Old 01-20-2011, 02:38 PM   #20
andobajando
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrookeiv View Post
Did you just rack the first beer off and pour the other Saison directly on the cake?
That's exactly what I did! It works out great, if you keep it sanitary and wash your yeast periodically you can keep the same culture going for quite some time.

Quick Reply